YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
GROUP BUDDY READ > The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - GBR - Starting June 1st 2013

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments This book won our poll for June!
All are welcome to join at any time throughout the month! Read at your own pace, but please hide spoilers. I will add discussion questions to the thread, hopefully, weekly.

Pre-reading question

1. Why do y want to read this book? What impressions do you already have about it?

2. Have you seen the movie or are you planning to?

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 361 comments I have this book. I'll try and read this with you guys.

1.) I want to read this book because I've heard really good things about it.

2.) I have seen the movie and I love it!

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments 1. I already read this book and this is one of my favorites. The reason I picked it up in the first place was because I saw a lot of good quotes from this book in tumblr. =D

2. I haven't seen the movie! I'm afraid to be disappointed... but i'll try to watch it this week.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5313 comments 1. I've read this book last year and it's one of my favorite standalone books. I picked this up because I heard a lot of good things about it.

2. I've seen the movie. It's one of the best book-movie adaptation. the actors & actresses portrayed the characters well and they followed the book. It's really good. :)

Jonababez | 2458 comments 1. I haven't read the book yet. It doesn't appeal much to me, but I'll give it a try. I really hope it's good.

2. I haven't watched the movie too, but I have a copy, I might watch it first before reading it, haha.

message 6: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy (Thecrazycatlady) | 2 comments I've read it and watched it. it was sad :(

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay! I'm so happy this won! This book has been recommended to me many times, but I just never found the opportunity to read it. I saw the movie (partially because Logan Lerman and EmmA Watson were in it) and thought it was amazing.

message 8: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea (bearabe) | 1 comments 1. I read the book. It was summarized in one word: ambivalence. The uncertainty in the ending of the book was sad but knowing what Charlie has realized throughout his freshman year was comforting enough to assume that he had a great high school life.

2. I have seen the movie and the actors chosen to play the roles were perfect especially Logan Lerman who played Charlie. Judging from how he portrayed his other roles, the challenge of being Charlie brought out his ability for dramatic movie roles.

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments Beatrice wrote: "1. I've read this book last year and it's one of my favorite standalone books. I picked this up because I heard a lot of good things about it.

2. I've seen the movie. It's one of the best book-mov..."

Ha! I'll take your word for it, i'll try to watch it tonight. =)

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments Jona wrote: "1. I haven't read the book yet. It doesn't appeal much to me, but I'll give it a try. I really hope it's good.

2. I haven't watched the movie too, but I have a copy, I might watch it first before ..."

Jona let's buddy r... err watch the movie! (buddy watch?!?) hahaha

message 11: by Mei (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mei (yeltminky) | 3878 comments I have heard that the author was involved in the production in the movie (not sure if he's the director or something else) so maybe thay's why it's a good adaptation.

Jonababez | 2458 comments Novel wrote: "Jona wrote: "1. I haven't read the book yet. It doesn't appeal much to me, but I'll give it a try. I really hope it's good.

2. I haven't watched the movie too, but I have a copy, I might watch it ..."

Sure, let's buddy watch it. Are you going to watch it today?

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5313 comments Enjoy the movie guys! :) looking forward on your thoughts about it.

message 14: by Pahel (new)

Pahel | 295 comments 1.Started reading the book because of the great reviews and ratings it has!

2. Watched the movie! It was good but the book is better! Although the book kind of has a slow pace!

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 82864 comments Mod
I've heard that it's sad, I've also heard that it is good though! I haven't seen the movie, but I might watch it if I like the book ☺

10% bit weird so far. Reminds me of something else but I can't remember what!

message 17: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jun 06, 2013 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

50% really not sure about this one. Some parts are dull, but other parts are amusing. (view spoiler)

Cheriee Weichel I just finished this book for the second time this year. The first time I listened to it as an audio book. This time I read it for my book club this upcoming weekend. I think I liked the audio book better. Johnny Heller's narration was spot on in capturing Charlie's voice.

I haven't decided whether or not I will watch the movie. I am kind of afraid it will be a let down.

55% (view spoiler)

57% (view spoiler)

74 % (view spoiler)

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments I still haven't started reading this!! But I see it's very short, so hopefully this weekend I"ll get to it.

It's odd. And kinda makes you think.

Marla | 791 comments 1) It's been on my tbr list, but I love these Guided Buddy Reads, so that is why I am reading it.

2) I try to read the book before I see the movie, so I "can't" until I finish the book.

Cheriee Weichel I finished it and went and watched the movie. The movie was ok, but the book was so much better.

Louise | 219 comments I didn't like it.

Cheriee Weichel what didn't you like Louise about it Louise?

message 28: by Greta (last edited Jun 19, 2013 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments up to pg. 50 3. What do you think of Charlie and his friends?

4. What are your thoughts on the writing style or speculations about who Charlie is writing to?

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments 3. I think Charlie is kind of a strange blend of sad and happy, innocent and jaded. His friends are the same,

4. I'm not sure if I'm really into the diary type format. Sometimes I think he's just writing to himself, or to his dead friend, Michael.

@Red- I totally agree with you about this book parading out a lot of sad, evocative scenes but then not giving them any real depth.

Cheriee Weichel I loved the book. I kept wondering what was going on with Charlie throughout it. Because I have worked with kids who were sexually abused when they were younger, a lot of stuff about him fell into place when that was revealed. I think he is a damaged genius.
I like the diary format and think that he was actually writing to us, the readers, and told us right off that he had high expectations for us to be accepting and decent human beings.

3. What do you think of Charlie and his friends?
To me they act like teens, and Charlie just seems to hang back and stay in the shadows.

4. What are your thoughts on the writing style or speculations about who Charlie is writing to?
I wasn't really struck by the whole letter writing thing. I also didn't get who he was writing to at all.

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5313 comments 3. Their friendship was real. However, they do things without thinking of consequences. Definitely like teens.

4. I like the writing style. It's a diary wherein he is talking to the readers.. or maybe someone who is a wallflower as well, letting us know how he feels.

Louise | 219 comments Cheriee wrote: "what didn't you like Louise about it Louise?"

It was pretty boring and i just don't get it.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments pgs.50-100
5. What is your take on Charlie and his family? On Charlie and his friends? Are they good or bad influences, why?

6.What are your thoughts on Charlie's psychiatric state? What do you think is going on there?

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments I forgot to comment after watching the movie, it was a very good adaptation! I think it's because Stephen Chbosky was also the director and the screenwriter, haha. It was really good, it reminds me a bit of the film The Breakfast Club.

3. What do you think of Charlie and his friends?
>>> I figured that Charlie is a different kid, he's extremely nervous around people but is highly observant. His friends on the other hand are a bunch of misfits, they may not belong to any cliques but they still have each other, and I liked that. I just don't like what they do when they hang out, like getting wasted and getting high.

>>> I really liked it, because it gives me an idea what goes through Charlie's head. In our Psych class in college, we were taught that communication is a huge part of the therapy--- whether it's verbal or written. Writing is also therapeutic,and in this case, it seems like it worked really well for Charlie.

message 36: by Novel (last edited Jun 22, 2013 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Novel (velsanchez1) | 2890 comments 5. What is your take on Charlie and his family? On Charlie and his friends? Are they good or bad influences, why?

>>> I actually liked Charlie's family, they are very supportive. His friends, ummm, they have their faults but I'm sure they meant well. They are not perfect, but they are the only people who really saw Charlie.

6.What are your thoughts on Charlie's psychiatric state? What do you think is going on there?

>>> With the way he acts, it's pretty obvious that Charlie have some psychological issues that were left unresolved. I thought at first it was just what happened with his best friend, but that was just the trigger. The main problem started when he was a kid and it was just repressed.

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments 5. I like Charlie's family. They are "typical" and loving in ther own way. Charlie's friends I think they keep him grounded. His friends are, like Novel noted, a group of intellectual misfits. I think this is very validating to Charlie. Although I ca see how they are a "bad influence," I also think they help Charlie focus his thoughts on the world around him. Anything that helps him get out of his own head is probably a good thing.

6. Yes, I think it's obvious that Charlie has something going on psychologically. At first I thought he might have a mild form of Aspergers, or that his Aunt Helen's death really traumatized him. I still think he could have Aspergers but whatever trauma caused him to spiral and have this resulting sort of PTSD, I don't think we've found out about yet.

message 38: by Greta (last edited Jun 26, 2013 03:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Greta (goodreadsgreta) | 4571 comments Through the end of the book--> 7. Were you able to guess what trauma was in Charlie's past?

8. What do you think the "perks" of being a wallflower are? or maybe just what life lessons do you think Charlie experienced over the course of the novel?

9. Any favorite parts or things you really didn't like...

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Charlie's aunt obviously did something to him, and through yahoo answers I was able to find the answer

message 40: by Marla (last edited Jun 30, 2013 07:38PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Marla | 791 comments 3. What do you think of Charlie and his friends?
I initially liked Charlie's friends, but after they started doing drugs and drinking and (view spoiler), I didn't like them influencing him.

I thought the writing style of letters to an anonymous reader was different. It kind of seemed like a gimmick rather than a writing style.

5. What is your take on Charlie and his family? On Charlie and his friends? Are they good or bad influences, why?
Charlie's family is a mess and has issues like most families, but maybe more significant problems than most families. Charlie's friends definitely become bad influences.

Charlie's violent streak seems like a problem. His psychiatric state seems a bit dysfunctional and his reactions to people and events seems like he has some sort of condition that prevents him from relating to people. I agree with Greta that he might have Asperger's Syndrome.

Marla | 791 comments 7. Were you able to guess what trauma was in Charlie's past?
By Charlie not being ready for sex, I guessed his problem. Though often molested children are prematurely sexually active.

8. What do you think the "perks" of being a wallflower are? or maybe just what life lessons do you think Charlie experienced over the course of the novel?
Charlie observed life and those living around him. I think Charlie grew with the friendships he shared, but I still think he was an odd kid and I don't know how is going to adapt since all his friends graduated and left him alone in high school.

9. Any favorite parts or things you really didn't like...
I didn't like the constant drugs and sex and shock value of what else these teens could do. I liked the unique story of a misfit teen, but it scares me that this is such a life changing and thought provoking book. What life lessons are learned? It seemed sad and very dysfunctional. If it is meant to inspire misfit teens is it so they can relate to Charlie, but then what...just to know they aren't alone...and they can just keep living everyday...even if they have really bad days and don't have a direction for their life?