Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

30-Day Challenge! > 30-day Challenge! - Day 16: Favorite female character

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 492 comments Day 16: Favorite female character

-mine is Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair. Gotta admire her determination to advance her position. I love the line that describes her, "A social climber? More like she's a mountaineer!"

Who wants to play!

message 2: by Antonio (new)

Antonio (antonioarez) My favorite character is Emily Grierson from A Rose for Emily. I know it's just a short story from the master Faulkner, maybe I should have chosen a different character, perhaps a more developed and richly textured one, but I just think Emily Grierson is perfectly depicted as a classical tragic character on confronting the reality surrounding her. Sad and fascinating. "She carried her head high enough - even wehen we believed that she was fallen"

message 3: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (shoegirl81) | 68 comments Astrid Magnussen from White Oleander. Oh dear, it seems none of my favourites come from the classics!

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (willcaxton) Becky Sharp is a great favourite of mine too, but I think I'll opt for Miss Marple.

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet (jangoodell) Alice (that's her in my pic--not me).

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 22 comments Sarah Agnes Prine from "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. She is a strong, independent woman who is still feminine enough to need her man.

message 7: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Antonio wrote: "My favorite character is Emily Grierson from A Rose for Emily. I know it's just a short story from the master Faulkner, maybe I should have chosen a different character, perhaps a mo..."

This is one of my favorite short stories. I read it first in college, and then again a few years ago. It's so haunting and sad.

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I'm going with Sethe from Beloved by Toni Morrison. She had to endure such horrible things in her life, and then to go on after the unthinkable thing she did to her kids. At the same time, you can understand why she felt she had no other option to do what she did.

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Eve from the "In Death" Series.

message 10: by Gavin (new)

Gavin (thewalkingdude) | 194 comments Susannah Dean from the Dark Tower series

message 11: by Blueberry (last edited Nov 11, 2014 10:29AM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Vickie Bliss from Elizabeth Peters books
Professor Mcgonagall from Harry Potter

message 12: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Jayne Eyre when she was young. I loved it when she threw the book and cracked her over bearing cousin on the back of the head.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Eve Dallas, Amelia Peabody, Nancy Drew, Tuppence Beresford, Lizzie Bennett.

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments Emma as in the Jane Austen heroine - I love that she is flawed :-)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

May 16:

Scarlett O'hara, Hermione Granger, Elizabeth Bennett, & Anne Shirley :-) I know, that's more than one......

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) Mrs. Danvers. Nurse Ratchet. Scary gals. Oh, and Mrs. Moore in "Passage to India."

message 17: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Emma in Madame Bovary

message 18: by Flor (new)

Flor De verano Liessel from The Book Thief

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Day 16 entry:

Wow! What a difficult question. So many wonderful characters.

Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games
Her strength

Hermoine Granger from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Her intelligence

message 20: by Frances (new)

Frances Macknight | 21 comments Vera Brittain in Testament of Youth by Vera Brettain. She is not a fictional character but she represents so many courageous young women at the beginning of WW1 when their lives, loves, ambitions, dreams were taken away from them. Vera Brittain never gave up and continued her whole life to speak out. She was on Hitler's HIT list to eliminate had he invaded and occupied England. (So I read.)

message 21: by Tytti (last edited Jun 16, 2014 08:20AM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Scarlett. Because she was a survivor and "pulled" everyone she loved with her, and even though he sometimes did some less than honourable things, she usually also felt sorry about them.

(Frances's story reminded me of a story about the Winter War. Finns wondered why Soviets bombed so heavily Porvoo, which is/was a small and nonimportant town. Reputedly they later asked about that and the answer was that the agitator Johan Ludvig Runeberg lived there. True... though he had died over 60 years earlier.)

message 22: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Margaret Hale from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

The story is about her family moves the country living in the south of England to the industrial North in the 1800s, the beginning of industrialization. Just the way she copes with finding a new way of living, changing when seeing the other side of things at the same time as she doesn’t sacrifice her principles. She also likes to discuss with men at a time that was not allowed. At the same time she has flaws, and needs to grow. A well-rounded woman.

message 23: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Lesserknowngems wrote: "Margaret Hale from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell"

I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (some woman) who hasn't seen the series? :-P

message 24: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Tytti wrote: "Lesserknowngems wrote: "Margaret Hale from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell"

I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (some woman) who ..."

XD With Richard "chocolat-covered voice" Armitage, I doubt it. I was suprised as to how well they managed to keep the dynamic between the two of them. To me that is just another sign of why she (and the whole book) is so good when it can be translated so well. She works in more than one medium. :)

message 25: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Tytti wrote: "I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (some woman) who hasn't seen the series? :-P "

*raises hand* :)

message 26: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments MK wrote: "Tytti wrote: "I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (some woman) who hasn't seen the series? :-P "

*raises hand* :)"

While I will always recommend the book first, the mini-series (2004 edition) is very good, here is the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnZS...

The music is a bit melodramatic, but other than that :D (I feel like I have talked a lot about the book now the last few days. I'm sorry if anyone is sick of it)

message 27: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments A fanmade trailer, I believe. But serves its purpose, I suppose. It used to be online, too, I guess they have taken it off.

message 28: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Nope, not sick of it, Gems :)

message 29: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Tytti wrote: "A fanmade trailer, I believe. But serves its purpose, I suppose. It used to be online, too, I guess they have taken it off."

I know, but for some reason most of the trailers have melodramatic music to them. But I agree, I can't find the original. Too bad, because they are the ones who suffer from the lack of PR. :/

And MK, thank you :)

message 30: by Tytti (last edited Jun 18, 2014 02:43PM) (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments Lesserknowngems wrote: "I know, but for some reason most of the trailers have melodramatic music to them. But I agree, I can't find the original. Too bad, because they are the ones who suffer from the lack of PR."

I meant the whole series used to be online. I haven't seen a trailer. I don't think there is one, it was after all only a miniseries.

message 31: by Lesserknowngems (new)

Lesserknowngems | 103 comments Tytti wrote: "Lesserknowngems wrote: "I know, but for some reason most of the trailers have melodramatic music to them. But I agree, I can't find the original. Too bad, because they are the ones who suffer from ..."

Oh. Sorry for the mix up. I have heard by someone it's on netflix, but I am not sure. I know there is a bootleg one.

message 32: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 06, 2014 06:44AM) (new)

She may be nasty, but I admire Miss Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind.....though Claire Fraser from Outlander is a close second for favourite female character!

message 33: by Hilary (new)

Hilary (agapoyesoun) | 194 comments Florence from Dickens's Dombey and Son

message 34: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Fountain | 289 comments Cheating again, and picking two: Jane Eyre and Scarlett O'Hara.

Polar opposites in many ways, and in other ways quite similar.

message 35: by Kat (new)

Kat Tiaan from Geomancer by Ian Irvine.

I like how her character develops from why-should-I-care-about-her to OMG-she-rocks.

message 36: by Simone (new)

Simone Martel | 45 comments Nancy wrote: "Mrs. Danvers. Nurse Ratchet. Scary gals. Oh, and Mrs. Moore in "Passage to India.""
You have...unique taste. I love it.

message 37: by Julia (new)

Julia | 61 comments MK wrote: "Tytti wrote: "I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (some woman) who hasn't seen the series? :-P "

*raises hand* :)"

Me too **raises hand**

message 38: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments Mattie Ross from True Grit

message 39: by Simone (new)

Simone Martel | 45 comments Lesserknowngems wrote: "Tytti wrote: "Lesserknowngems wrote: "Margaret Hale from North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell"

I like her, too. Never read the book, though, but is there someone (so..."

Ah, Richard Armitage... That series inspired me to buy an Armitage Army tee shirt. Though I've never actually worn it.

I have read the book, too. Both are very enjoyable.

message 40: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments Catherine in Wuthering Heights and Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. :)

message 41: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Elizabeth Bennett
Dorothea Brooke in Middlemarch

message 42: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter Boxset
Anne from Persuasion
Mary Garth and eventually Dodo in Middlemarch

message 43: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3796 comments I love Celie in The Color Purple

message 44: by Rhedyn (new)

Rhedyn  (fernffoulkes) Jo March :)

message 45: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Scarlett O'Hara because while she may not be the most likeable character, she does what she needs to do to survive, and take care of her family.

message 46: by Brina (new)

Brina I love Scarlett but I wouldn't keep rereading House of the Spirits and the two books that take place before it if I didn't love Eliza Sommers and then Clara, Blanca, and Alba Del Valle de Trueba

message 47: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Maris from Windhaven. I like how she grows and changes. I also like Arya from A Song of Ice and Fire.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Scarlett O'Hara
Arya Stark
Claire Beauchamp (Randall, Fraser) ;)

message 49: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 110 comments Jo March

message 50: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1508 comments Rachel wrote: "Hermoine Granger from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Her intelligence"

You should read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. This Hermoine is slightly different but even better.

« previous 1