Christopher Moore discussion

your favorite Moore novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 107 (107 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I was wondering what everyone thought of as their FAVORITE Moore novel.

So far I have read :
The Stupidest Angel
Lamb
A Dirty Job

And I have to say that I really loved A Dirty Job and Stupidest Angel. Both were unique in their awesomeness.... I hated putting them down and couldnt get back to them quick enough!

message 2: by brian (new)

brian tanabe Lamb is clearly his best -- even Moore himself admits this. It took him twice as long to write as his others. And it shows.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 4 comments Yep, I've read them all. And Lamb is by far his best, Followed but Lust Lizard.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenniferjuniper) I haven't read all of Moore's books yet, but I've read a few. So far, my favorite is A Dirty Job. It's the first Moore book I read and I still love it.

message 5: by Nikki (last edited Mar 09, 2008 12:02PM) (new)

Nikki (nikk329) | 4 comments So far Lamb is def. my favorite Moore book and Lust Lizard is a close second.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Rudasill (katers) | 2 comments Man, I've read them all too and it's a hard decision. I actually listened to A Dirty Job on itunes and I think it really changed the way I felt about the book. My first was Fluke, so it always has a special place in my heart. Lamb is excellent but I think I have to go with Dirty Job

message 7: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 10 comments I absolutely loved Lamb, but I think I too am going to go with Dirty Job.

message 8: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) | 3 comments Lamb is, by far, the best written and most hilarious book that Moore has yet to write. It was the first of his that I read, though I've since gone through nearly all his other works (sorry Coytote Blue, not yet), and I still try to reread it at least once a year. My wife received the new leather(ish) edition of Lamb from me for Christmas and has not stopped laughing yet (this is her 4th time reading it).

Bloodsucking Fiends/You Suck were great, but I think they are just book ends for A Dirty Job. I think that Fluke is really under-rated though, and that far more people should read it.

message 9: by CmPete (new)

CmPete Tucker | 3 comments Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. What isn't to love? Kendra the warrior babe and Steve the mutant sea creature trying to make it with a fuel truck.

Bliss.

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) 1. Lamb
2. Dirty Job
3. Fluke

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (muggleborn80) | 23 comments Mod
I would have to agree that Lamb is his best work, but my favorite is Lust Lizard. :)

message 12: by Alayna (new)

Alayna | 7 comments 1.Lamb
2.A Dirty Job

message 13: by Misty (new)

Misty (potterfreak) | 2 comments 1. A Dirty Job
2. Bloodsucking Fiends/You Suck

message 14: by Patrick (new)

Patrick (pw64866) | 1 comments I would have to say A Dirty Job is by far my favorite work by Moore. Then Lamb and Lust Lizard.

Lemme pose this, was anyone else disappointed by the ending of You Suck? Where did those other guys/vampires come from...?

message 15: by Misty (new)

Misty (potterfreak) | 2 comments I don't think I would necessarily say that I was disappointed at the end of You Suck. Although I did wonder where the other vampires came from, and how they seemed to have some control over the situation. (perhaps it's left open for a third?) I think what bothered me most when I put the book down was that Abby had bronzed Tommy and Jody. Yes, Jody said by becoming mist inside the statue it was like floating. But Tommy had never learned how to become mist. So I left book worried about him, as silly as that sounds.

message 16: by Lori (last edited Feb 28, 2008 08:29AM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) Ive read a few more Moores... and my favs still remain:

A Dirty Job
The Stupidest Angel

Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck were really fun campy vampy books, but couldnt touch Dirty Job by a mile! Though I really loved how the characters from Dirty Job and Bloodsucking Fiends/You Suck all intermingled the way they did. It was like revisiting old friends.....

I know Lamb is most peoples top pick, but even though I enjoyed reading it, I wasnt really that impressed with it. I am still looking foward to reading some of his others soon.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Miller | 6 comments Lamb was the first Chris Moore book I read and will probably always remain my favorite, it was hysterical. Second would have to be Lust Lizard. I also loved A Dirty Job and Blood Sucking Fiends and You Suck. I've read them all except Coyote Blue, which I have just started. I would have to list Practical Demon keeping as my least favorite. I can't wait for his next one!

message 18: by Leland (new)

Leland | 2 comments For me it goes Lamb
A Dirty Job
Fluke

message 19: by Gilbert (new)

Gilbert | 2 comments My favorite is You Suck. Followed closely by Lamb. The book I disliked the most was Fluke. I am reading Coyote Blue, and I think that it rates up there with Fluke. Nonetheless, Moore is awesome!

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (littlemel64) Lamb is like a whole different level of literature compared to Moore's other books. While all of the stories are entertaining, Lamb's satirical edge and knowing wink toward the subject matter lend it a different level of intelligence.

message 21: by M.D. (new)

M.D. (mdbenoit) | 1 comments The difference between Lamb and Moore's other novels is: research. He had to research three very different -- and somewhat similar-- belief systems and integrate them into one to give us the basics of Christianity. To do such a thing, you have to do extensive reading, starting from the New Testament.

Regardless of the irreverence throughout, which is the mark of his writing, the underlying story shows a lot of respect for humanity's search for the divine.

That said, although Lamb is definitely his best book, my favorite is The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove. Gotta love those pheromones.

message 22: by Laurajean (new)

Laurajean (laurajeanc-w) I've read most of Moore's books. I think my favorite is The Stupidest Angel, because so many of his past characters appear in the book.

I haven't read Biff yet (except for the bit that I read at Borders) cuz my library doesn't have it, and I hate spending money on a book that I know I'm going to read very fast in just one sitting. Still, I'll probably reread it, so I could invest in it, I suppose.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I hear that lamb is the best, but so my sister lost her copy. So far I think A Dirty Job and Bloodsucking Fiends are the best but they are all so good!!

message 24: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie | 1 comments Lamb is my favorite. Followed by Dirty Job. Both are hilarious.

message 25: by Stephen (last edited Jul 27, 2008 01:15PM) (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 5 comments I have to say I have all of Christopher Moore's books. Some are Audiobooks (Lamb, Dirty Job, You Suck) and the rest are paperbacks. Listening to Lamb right now as read by Fisher Stevens and it is hilarious! So I would rank that as a favorite followed by A Dirty Job (also Audio by Fisher Stevens) and a close third for Fluke! I will probably by the Lamb paperback next!

message 26: by A (new)

A (acrigger) | 2 comments I loved Dirty Job. What I wouldn't give for him to write a sequel!

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie I liked A Dirty Job the most. it was the first one I picked up. Lamb would have to be next. I keep picking up another Moore book whenever I visit the book store. it's practically an addiction.

message 28: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 2 comments Lamb
Practical Demon Keeping
Blood Sucking Fiends / You Suck
Dirty Job
Lust Lizard

It gets muddled up below there.. but I've read all his books and have enjoyed everyone of them.

message 29: by Norm (new)

Norm (normcowie) | 1 comments I have to admit. I never read a Christopher Moore book until reviewers favorably compared our books to each other.

Sorry.

Anyway, since then I've been catching up.

I really enjoyed "Lamb" because I always wondered how come we don't know anything about the young Jesus. I mean, heck, everyone knew who he was from the instant he was born ... then he basically disappears for twenty years ... comes back, gets some apostles, and, well, the rest you know.

Norm
www.normcowie.com

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Blood Sucking Fiends and You Suck are my favorites.

Then probably Lamb.

Then it's a tie between all the others except Fluke. I wasn't impressed at the end of Fluke. It was great until about 3/4 of the way through and then it just got a little too weird.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna | 2 comments Too Weird? How Weird is too weird? Sea Monsters, talking fruit bats, voices from dead folk in a cemetary... the whaley boys seemed sort of mild in comparison. Bottom line for me is it's all funny. Here's hoping Mr Moore continues to tickle us for years to come.

message 32: by C-tim (new)

C-tim | 4 comments Coyote Blue and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's the idea of an insurance agent with a spirit guide. Maybe its adding Minty Fresh in the middle of the novel for no good reason.

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris (cnam) | 2 comments A Dirty Job was the first Moore book I read and still my favorite, followed very closely by Lamb.

message 34: by Tina (new)

Tina (teenerd) | 1 comments A Dirty Job is my absolutely favorite so far. I haven't read all of the Moore books yet, but I am close! I still haven't read Lamb. I think Bloodsucking Fiends/You Suck/Bite Me follow close behind A Dirty Job. I attribute this to the fact that they intermingle more than the other books and I find that fun. Love the Emperor and his Men.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Pesic | 3 comments It's hard to choose a favourite due the fact that all his novels are connected and that all my favourite characters keep reappearing in many different story lines. This is why, for me, Fool stands out above all the others. It was the first Christopher Moore novel I had ever read. But more than that, the characters and setting of the story are so disconnected from all of Moores' other novels that it makes it unique in its own way. Plus, the protagonist is by far my favourite Moore creation!
Lamb was also very special, but since I am about as ignorant as you can possibly get about Christianity and religion, I don't feel that I was able to receive everything that book had to offer. What I did get out of it was nothing short of brilliant!

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Pesic | 3 comments C-tim wrote: "Coyote Blue and I'm not quite sure why. Maybe it's the idea of an insurance agent with a spirit guide. Maybe its adding Minty Fresh in the middle of the novel for no good reason."

I think Coyote Blue is a special Moore novel because there's more than just humour in it. I found the natives story line to be very beautiful and even inspirational!

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy | 2 comments I've read four books and would rank them in the following order:

Lamb (by far!)
A Dirty Job
The Stupidest Angel
Fluke

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andrea11096) | 2 comments LAMB!!

message 39: by Mouse (new)

Mouse I still have a sweet spot for Coyote Blue. That was the first Christopher Moore novel for me and like a first kiss it can never be repeated.

message 40: by Sandy (last edited Sep 11, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Sandy | 1 comments Lamb by far (and I've read them all) but I loved Fool immensely.

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane Ferbrache | 1 comments I think Lamb is his best book. It is the most intricate in plot and character development. I think it shows Moore's "literary" side. BUT, I think Stupidist Angel is still my favorite. Who can resist a great Christmas story with ZOMBIES! Awesome!

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 5 comments Sandy wrote: "Lamb by far (and I've read them all) but I loved Fool immensely."

I aspire to one day be able to say that I also have read all of Moore's books. Sadly I've only read 4.

Lamb
Bloodsucking Fiends
You Suck
Bite Me

All of which I have enjoyed immensely. I don't know that I can choose a favorite because although Lamb was amazing, I really enjoyed the story arc of the Love Story trilogy and fell in love with so many of the characters.

Either way I think we can all agree that Moore appeals to that strange and demented sense of humor we all possess but rarely seem to let out.

message 43: by Stewie's Mom (new)

Stewie's Mom (StewiesMom) | 4 comments I have read and/or listened to everything Chris has published. Lamb was my first title and I sat on a bench in front of the store I work at (during lunches) and nearly had soda come out of my nose while reading on several occasions. However, with that being said, my favorite CM title is definitely A Dirty Job. I just love Charlie Asher and who could forget Minty Fresh?

message 44: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence | 2 comments I've read quite a few of the Moore series. My first book was Fool, so I got a bit of a late start in comparison to most others here. My top two would definitely be Lamb and Fool, but I have trouble deciding between the two. I liked Lamb's story more but Fool is just one of those books that I feel like I could reread over and over again and still have the same laughs. Fuckstockings.

message 45: by Stewie's Mom (new)

Stewie's Mom (StewiesMom) | 4 comments Lawrence: Isn't that one of the BEST words ever? I love the style in which these exclamations are said!

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (nathanlarry) | 2 comments My favorites are Fool, followed by Lamb, then A Dirty Job, partially because it was the first Moore book I read. Oh yeah- I like how Christopher Moore just creates swear words.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments 1. A Dirty Job (my first Moore book)
2. Fool
3. the trilogy

message 48: by Adam (new)

Adam Friedman (AdamFriedman) | 2 comments A Dirty Job was my first, but it will always be second to Lamb.

message 49: by Mouse (new)

Mouse Possibly not his best, but the level of dysfunction in the characters makes "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" a favorite of mine. I'm also fond of it because some of the characters from other Moore books also visit this town at one time or another.

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara (smdpowell) | 3 comments I'd have to agree, Lust Lizard is a definite favourite of mine, followed by Lamb (though I want to reread, it's been a few years!). I've read most of Moore's books and love them all though, how can you not?!

I have not read Bite Me yet, though have read the first two in the series so I can't wait :)

« previous 1 3