Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > young adult or middle grade?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited May 31, 2013 10:59AM) (new)

Mike Gemma (mike_gemma) | 23 comments Hello I am writing my first novel and need an opinion on age appropriate content.
Here is the passage I am wondering about.

Right before Mrs. Randell could swing the knife at Zack a loud pop slashed thru the air, Mrs. Randell was forced to the ground by a bullet entering the side of her head.
With her last action Miss. Marrow had summoned the strength to pick up the gun that laid beside her and shoot Mrs. Randell, killing her. The last image Zack saw, while being dragged by the mysterious figure into the emptiness of the ally way, was Miss. Marrows dead body laying next to a blood stained white teddy bear.

Is this too mature for middle grade?

message 2: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments Yes. It's too graphic and specific. Murders in true middle school novels are handled very delicately and never described in detail. I've been a middle grade librarian the past 14 years and this passage would certainly make me place this novel in my 7-8 school not my 5-6 school. Fifth graders are 9 and 10 years old.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Gemma (mike_gemma) | 23 comments Thank you Jan. That is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. I will market it as a young adult novel.

message 4: by Mike (new)

Mike Gemma (mike_gemma) | 23 comments Thank you Jan. That is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. I will market it as a young adult novel.