Totally Random Tour discussion

The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
This topic is about The Oathbreaker's Shadow
Amy: How did you come up with OATHBREAKER's incredible world?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
Amy, the worldbuilding in THE OATHBREAKER'S SHADOW blew me away. It's so vivid and rich. How did you come up with such amazing settings for your novel?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Well, Random House pay for me to buy a plane ride somewhere far away and then I...

I wish!

For The Oathbreaker's Shadow, the actual inspiration was the desert. Some of my favourite books are where the setting becomes almost like a character in itself. Obviously, deserts are a very specific kind of environment: harsh, isolating, vast, unforgiving. It was the perfect setting in which to push a character to his or her limits. Obviously, stories of exile into the desert are as old as stories are... that famous Christian figure being the most obvious one!

After that, I was inspired by my travels and my background. My mum is Chinese, my dad is English and they own their own oriental carpet store, so I got used to travelling to farflung destinations from an early age. Carpets and carpet weaving societies have always interested me - and they are most often nomadic societies. I started reading about nomads, and realized that there was such rich fantasy novel material there.

Otherwise, I just look for places that are cool! Like Petra. I had the pleasure of visiting Petra last year, but I hadn't been before I wrote about Lazar, my own city cut into the rock. I had seen pictures though, and it awed me enough to deserve its own place in my book.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
Amy, this is so interesting! I love the way it all came together for you.

I have to say that I'm pretty inspired by the desert, too. I'm sneaking it into a sci-fi book I'm working on (in my *cough* vast spare time *cough*).

I love that your mum and dad have an oriental carpet store - that's very cool. :)

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
My book might be the only one with its own official carpet ;)