Totally Random Tour discussion

The Stone Demon (The Iron Witch, #3)
This topic is about The Stone Demon
Karen: What's it like to finish a trilogy?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
And now, Karen, this one is for you! I've been dying to ask you this!

Both Emma and I are debut authors, so won't be able to answer this question... but what does it feel like to end your trilogy? Were there any challenge or surprises along the way?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
That's SUCH a good question! It was so difficult. In fact... spoiler alert... THE STONE DEMON got pushed back 2 months because I had a huge amount of trouble with it. That's why it was an April pub date, rather than February like the first two books.

With hindsight, I'm so glad I had the extra time because it meant I wrote a strong final book (I hope), but at the time I was beating myself up about it constantly. It just all came crashing down on me when I realised that I had a crazy number of plot threads to pull together. It was only when I figured out that I needed to let Navin and Xan have a few point-of-view scenes that I started to fix the mess I'd made!

message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
That's really interesting, Karen! I would LOVE to write a trilogy but at the same time, the thought terrifies me!

message 4: by Karen (new)

I'm not sure I'll be rushing to do it again anytime soon... ;)

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Heck, I'm writing a duology, and the thought of wrapping THAT up is terrifying enough, let alone three books worth of plotlines.

I had no idea about your anxiety while reading through the trilogy, and in fact, I thought everything came together in a completely satisfying way. So bravo! That being said, I still hunger for more in that world... the alchemists, fae, wood elves and demons just don't seem to be living happily ever after quite yet. *hint hint*

message 6: by Karen (new)

Haha! Yeah, I do have some plans for a few freebie short stories, mabye... One day. :)

message 7: by Karen (new)

And thanks for the compliment, btw. I appreciate hearing that SO MUCH!