Acid
This topic is about Acid
ACID's dystopian society

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Em, a question about your book...

When I was reading ACID, I was swept away in your terrifying vision of a future Britain. It also got me thinking about how ACID fits in to the long tradition of British dystopian fiction... including the great 1984. Did you read much dystopian fiction before you started, or is it all the product of your own twisted mind? Any real world events or books or films you would cite as influences?

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
Great question! I want to know this, too.

message 3: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
Twisted mind, moi…? Mwahahaha!

I have always loved dystopian and post-apocalyptic fiction, even as a young child, although it used to terrify me, too! I remember reading Robert Swindell's BROTHER IN THE LAND in middle school, and getting totally paranoid about a nuclear holocaust. I also read, and loved, 1984 when I was a teenager, and that book and Malorie Blackman's NOUGHTS AND CROSSES were a huge influence on me when I started to write ACID.

A lot of the politics in ACID stemmed from my feeling that the UK is increasingly becoming a 'nanny state', with everything we do being monitored and managed to the nth degree. I also read somewhere that in 2009, the Shetland Islands had more CCTV cameras than San Francisco!! And I'd been reading about the situation in North Korea - a real life dystopian society. All this led me to wonder what life would be like if the people in charge really DID control EVERYTHING, even what you ate or who you could marry…

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
Ooh, sending actual shivers down my spine! The CCTV camera situation is very insane. It's that balance between freedom and safety, privacy and public knowledge... when it goes wrong, as it does in ACID, it's absolutely terrifying, but you can't imagine a modern society without some sort of state-enforced protection.

I haven't read BROTHER IN THE LAND but maybe I'll look it up!

message 5: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
You must! It's chilling. Also, Nevil Shute's THE BEACH. I still like to frighten myself, even now!