The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Dark Elf Trilogy, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #1-3) The Dark Elf Trilogy Collector's Edition discussion

Drizzt Do'Urden and Michael Moorcock's Elric

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito I don't read R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden books, but I became aware of them and the character because I used to shelve library books. Drizzt Do'Urden sounds similar to Michael Moorcock's character Elric of Melnibone, whom I am much more familiar with. Am I right?

Cindy III I guess there might be similarities. Drizzt comes from Menzoberranzan, which is deep underground. Drizzt is a drow, a dark elf. His people are known for their cruelty. In this society it is the females who hold a higher status. They worship Lolth or Lloth, the demon spider queen. However, Drizzt does not conform. These three books are probably similar to Elric of Belnibone. I don't know because I have not read Michael Moorcock's books. Other books about Drizzt won't have much similarity, I think, even if they partly take place in Menzoberranzan.

Sherri Moorer I'm not familiar with Elric of Melnivone, but I highly recommend The Dark Elf Trilogy. It's definitely on my list of top reads of all time.

Kataury Hmmm... I've read both and I suppose you could say that they are similar. Both are excellent fighters, and both are adventurous. But I always felt that Elric's character was never really explained well enough in Moorcock's series, whereas Salvatore delves deeply into Drizzt's character. Elric deals with basic adventures, magic and the like, but the reader never gets a good look into Elric's thoughts. Salvatore, on the other hand, adds several subtle political points, such as racism (because dark elves are despised on the surface world of Faerun) and war. So yes, both are very similar, but I personally enjoyed Drizzt more since I got to see his character more.

Kenneth Donovan After reading these posts, I am interested in reading Moorcock's books now. Very true about the introspective aspect of Drizzt. the whole first book when he first left he was almost completly alone. Salvatore also touched well on the PTSD of the warrior trying to become something else.