Totally Random Tour discussion

Outliner or Organic Writer?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Mahoney | 25 comments Mod
Are you a plotter or a pantser? Or a mixture of the two...?

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Pass | 21 comments Mod
Definitely both! I used to not plan at-all, and would get into a horrible mess. Then I tried planning every single paragraph, practically, and got bored. Now, I've settled on a method of planning the big story events, and letting what happens in between grow organically… which usually means I then have to re-plot the big events as the original plan doesn't work any more! But it's a lot of fun.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy McCulloch (amymcculloch) | 24 comments Mod
A total mix.

For the first draft of The Oathbreaker's Shadow, it was really organic. I knew the middle point and end point, but the rest kind of grew around that.

For book two, I've had to outline a bit more. I once read an article by another author (I'll try to find it) who said that if you outline - even a little bit - you can gain a much bigger word count (I think she said 10,000 words a day!!). Now that I'm under deadline, I've found the need to think ahead, so that when I do have the time to write, it's really focused and productive. Still not quite 10K a day though (I wish!)

message 4: by Emma (new)

10K a day? I wish too! I am a slooooow writer. If I manage 2K, that is an EPIC writing day for me!

message 5: by Karen (new)

That article went totally viral and is by author Rachel Aaron. She expanded it into an ebook which you can buy super-cheap. :)

message 6: by Karen (new)

I think I'm a hybrid, too. I used to always say I was an organic writer, but it's become much more balanced between planning the major events first, then letting most of the story happen while writing between those 'signposts'.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Oh yes, Karen's right! Here it is:
http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com.a...

message 8: by Emma (new)

Thanks, Amy and Karen! I remember seeing that article too, but I didn't have a link.

message 9: by Karen (new)

The principles are pretty solid in her article, but there's still no way I could write that much. The most I ever wrote in a day was 6,000 words, and I then couldn't write anything else for the next few days. Probably would have been more sensible to do 2K a day and keep it more steady. I do tend to be a bit of a binge writer, though. :)

message 10: by Amy (new)

The only time I've written 10k in a day is when I had completely forgotten about my *cough* main *cough* creative writing assignment for the one creative writing class I've taken in my life (p.s. if I had the chance to do it again... I probably wouldn't. Other than to meet other like-minded people). I had to write this 10k short story in that night or risk losing my entire grade.

I did it, non-stop and without sleep... and got an A. Oh yeah.

Never done it with my novels, though!

message 11: by Karen (last edited May 31, 2013 10:54AM) (new)

The Iron Witch was actually a NaNo book for 2007. That's how it started. I did an unofficial NaNoWriMo with two writer friends where we aimed for 30,000 words in November, rather than the usual 50K. That's why the first draft only took me 6 weeks.

Of course, there were months and months and MONTHS of revisions afterward. heh. And I've never written a first draft that quickly again. I think I only managed it back then because I hadn't been writing for so many years - once I started, it just poured out. :)

message 12: by Amy (new)

I've often tried to do NaNo but never succeeded. Completely admire anyone who manages it!!

message 13: by Emma (new)

Me too!

message 14: by Karen (new)

I have never completed it officially. Every time I sign up, I'm lucky if I get to 25,000! :)

message 15: by Amy (new)

I guess that's 25k words more than you had before - it's a great idea to get some butt-in-chair writing time.