The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > 10 more Crichton books

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Warren (last edited May 31, 2013 11:19AM) (new)

Warren | 1556 comments A series of 10 novels penned by the late Michael Crichton while the Jurassic Park author was at Harvard Medical School will be brought back into print next month… The eight Lange thrillers, from Odds On to Binary, A Case of Need and Dealing, will all be digitally published on 23 July...
http://gu.com/p/3g9xa
-----------------------------------
Geez. While going through med school, he knocks out ten novels...
in his spare time..

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments I loved reading Crichton when I was in middle school and in high school, but his last couple of books (STATE OF FEAR and NEXT) made me wonder if his last works were just really awful or if all his books were terrible and I just finally outgrew them. I'm hoping THE TERMINAL MAN, ANDROMEDA STRAIN and JURASSIC PARK are actually as good as I remember them being. I'm too frightened to go back, re-read them, and possibly destroy those great memories. Maybe I'll read some of these previously out-of-print works instead.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments His older works like Jurassic Park and Sphere and Andromeda Strain are good, but I've always felt his endings are weak. Next was just bad. Haven't read the pirate one.

message 4: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam The posthumous pirate piece was fun.

message 5: by Mitch (new)

Mitch | 31 comments This is a fine example of why Harlan Ellison had mandated that all his unfinished manuscripts will be destroyed after he dies. I found this to be true when suddenly, back in the 60's Glenn Lords basement got to be very prolific, producing some of Howards worst fiction, the most dreadful being Almuric. I won't bother buying (or reading) something that was written to hone a writers skills - there are good reasons none of those books were published during the authors lifetime

message 6: by J (new)

J Austill | 72 comments Michele wrote: "His older works like Jurassic Park and Sphere and Andromeda Strain are good, but I've always felt his endings are weak. Next was just bad. Haven't read the pirate one."

Jurassic Park and Sphere qualify as Crichton's older work? I am officially old.

Jurassic Park is 20 years newer than Andromeda Strain.

message 7: by Rik (new)

Rik | 777 comments Hmmmm, I liked Next.

message 8: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Mitch wrote: "This is a fine example of why Harlan Ellison had mandated that all his unfinished manuscripts will be destroyed after he dies. I found this to be true when suddenly, back in the 60's Glenn Lords ba..."

...except that all of these works by Crichton have previously been published. This isn't someone finding an unfinished manuscript while going through Crichton's office or computer (though I believe that is how PIRATE LATITUDES was found), this is just reprinting works that have been out-of-print for a long time. Hell, I read the paperback of A CASE OF NEED (one of these 10 titles being re-released) back when I was in high school 15 or so years ago.

PIRATE LATITUDES and MICRO were the only two Crichton books released posthumously. MICRO was finished by another author (I haven't read that one). PIRATE LATITUDES is all Crichton, as far as I know, and also a decent read. It was mindless fun, but leaps and bounds better than his last few books. There's speculation Crichton had been working on PIRATE LATITUDES as early as the 1970s.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 684 comments I actually liked the ending in Jurassic Park, actually better than the movie ending.

message 10: by Eliste (new)

Eliste | 31 comments I gotta say, I'm not sure I could read Crichton anymore. I read a lot when I was younger, but always, ALWAYS during the day. I do so little reading during daylight hours now I don't think I'd ever finish his books again if I started one now. I just get too scared.

message 11: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I believe Chrichton wanted Pirate Latitudes published, he mentioned it in an interview about a year before he died.

I read A CASE OF NEED years ago when I read his other work, and it was okay, not science fiction at all, more a general medical thriller. There was a different flavor to NEED than to his techno work.

Of course, I always thought his best book was Eaters of the Dead, which had the best plot twist I'd ever seen. Then 13th Warrior got rid of the twist, which was disappointing.

message 12: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Yes many of his early books weren't really techno thrillers or scifi.
None were really bad. Just that some were a lot better then others.

message 13: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1556 comments Speaking of which. When I read this my first reaction was, "Hey I already read that Crichton book".
"WASHINGTON (AP) — Scientists who sparked an outcry by creating easier-to-spread versions of the bird flu for research purposes want to try such experiments again using a worrisome new strain. This time around, the U.S. government is promising extra scrutiny of such high-stakes research up front."
http://iurl.no/00s04