The Open Book Club discussion

The Secret Keeper
This topic is about The Secret Keeper
Monthly book club > June-2013-Read: "The Secret Keeper"

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brooke (storybrooke7) | 39 comments Mod
Once you have read the book; let us know what you thought about it! )

message 2: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Corley This must be the IT book bc it's the group read in two of my other groups as well! At least I can kill 3 birds with one stone!

message 3: by Brooke (last edited Jun 16, 2013 11:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

4/5 stars.

I had read another book by this author called, "The Forgotten Garden" and really enjoyed that one. Kate Morton is definitely a talented writer and "The Secret Keeper" proves that once again!

The story centers on 3 main women: Laurel, Vivian, and Dorthy. It's about how our past effects the people in our future and the secrets we keep to protect the ones we love.

The first half was a bit slow for me, but once Vivian's character came into the story more I felt it got a lot better. At first I thought the secret was already revealed closer to the end and was already kind of disappointed in it, but then the last section of the book revealed the real secret and I loved it!

I now what to read all of Kate Morton's books!

Teresa | 6 comments I dragged through most of this book but near the end is where it really pulled me in. What I was going to rate as 3 stars, ended up with 4 stars. The real secret was really a big surprise to me and it made me really happy that is how it went down.

Teresa wrote: "I dragged through most of this book but near the end is where it really pulled me in. What I was going to rate as 3 stars, ended up with 4 stars. The real secret was really a big surprise to me and..."

Agreed! :)

message 6: by Jeffrey (last edited Jun 30, 2013 06:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeffrey | 2 comments I am a fan of Kate Morton's having read The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden, but The Secret Keeper is her best so far.

It held my interest from beginning to end, and the chapters in London during WW II were vivid and believable.

The twist at the end is quite moving as well as surprising.

Once again, Ms. Morton has written a haunting tale of suspense worthy of Daphne du Maurier herself.

5 stars.

Roberta Sallee (rosallee) | 1 comments I loved this book! It was my first by Kate Morton and I will certainly go back and read more by her now. The story, the characters, the various viewpoints and flashbacks...all came together to keep me guessing as the mystery unraveled. Great ending, too! I highly recommend reading it!

Dianna Damir | 1 comments I've read all of Kate Morton's books and loved them all. Other people I know have said similar things in that the beginning was so slow for them, but I didn't feel that way. I knew something big would happen towards the end, but I was surprised by the ending as well. I didn't see that coming. All of her books are written in the same past/present style and all of them have good endings that are worth the slog through the expository. A lot of people I've found think that "The Distant Hours" is a lot of slog to get through, but I really enjoyed that a lot too. I recommend all her books and was not disappointed with this latest.