The FBI (Fabulous, Bold, Indies) discussion

Genres > Double dipping/YA vs New Adult

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Groszek (crystalgroszek) | 8 comments What do you all think about this current trend of some authors, mainly well-established ones, going back and rewriting their popular YA books as New Adult so that they can add more sexual and just generally adult content to the original story? Do you think it's double dipping, ie selling one book for the price of two, or do you think it's a good way to broaden readership? When I was writing Evan Elemental I struggled with what genre I wanted to market it as. I felt like putting it in YA would limit the content I could cover, so I made changes to throw it more into new adult territory with supernatural elements. Did any if you have a similar problem?

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 174 comments Crystal wrote: "What do you all think about this current trend of some authors, mainly well-established ones, going back and rewriting their popular YA books as New Adult so that they can add more sexual and just ..."
I agree it's double dipping. Why not write a whole new book?! It sounds to me like lazy dollars. If you want to write YA and NA, fine, but write seperate books!
I've never really "put" my book in a genre. I write it the way I want and then look at what genre it is--I basically let the book tell me what it is.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Chartier (nikgodwin) I actually had to take all of my NA ideas and make them YA in the past. It was a few years ago, before NA was really a thing. I was querying at the time, and NA just "wouldn't sell." I love the indie world (best decision I could've made for myself), and I love that NA is a thing now.

Part of me wonders how many of these authors had to subtract original elements to fit the YA market. But at the same time, I agree - there probably are authors who are "amping up" their YAs to hit the NA craze.

message 4: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Giovanni | 174 comments Nikki wrote: "I actually had to take all of my NA ideas and make them YA in the past. It was a few years ago, before NA was really a thing. I was querying at the time, and NA just "wouldn't sell." I love the ind..."

It's interesting that the next big thing was ignored--all the more reason to be Indie!
As for the point, I still believe, whether or not it was changes for a certain genre--it was already published.