Art Lovers discussion

Art Lovers News Corner > Exhibit at Musee d'Orsay

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 105 comments This 'Angel of the Odd' exhibit looks fascinating!!

http://hyperallergic.com/68674/making...

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Wow, that Bouguereau is wackadoodle. In the past I have usually hated art like that, but I'm constantly reassessing. At the least, it's ... interesting.

message 3: by Albin (new)

Albin Winters | 105 comments It caught me by surprise as well; most of the art in this exhibition seemed atypical of the artists to me. But it's good to reassess!:-)

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 27 comments It does look interesting....

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather

Dante and Virgil
William Bouguereau
(1850)

Interesting, before I looked at the title of the painting, my first thought was Dante. I was right.
I think it is accurately portrayed but haunting, almost grotesque.

message 6: by Poly (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:27PM) (new)

Poly Ethylene Interesting! It may be an early Bouguereau but by looking at the details I suspect its by Dore. However if the -musee-d-orsay says its by B. they are probably right.
BTW, I have a large selection on my Bouguereau board 110 repros, with beautiful details in Pinterest; the greatest art site on the net. Check it under my name Poly Ethylene.

message 7: by Poly (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

Poly Ethylene Lobstergirl wrote: "Wow, that Bouguereau is wackadoodle. In the past I have usually hated art like that, but I'm constantly reassessing. At the least, it's ... interesting."

Most people are only Familiar with Official Modern Art garbage . They don't know anything about the great so called Academic art of the 19th century and Nouveau and Deco. They believe the fashionable baloney in most art history books that leave all that out as if it never happened.
If you would like to read a view from the other side check out my book on Amazon. Modern Art a Portrait of Mediocrity.
Also check Pinterest where all art not just the fashionable stuff, is fairly shown.

message 8: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey | 201 comments Overwrought, maudlin, histrionic.....what more can I say. Bad art, but interesting to look at.
Yes, unfortunately, Poly, that is absolutely correct and should not be. The art historians are interested in trends and movements so they can pigeonhole its history and unfortunately great work outside the milieu gets neglected, which is what is happening in today's art world where the conceptual, minimal and banal holds full sway. The best that can be hoped for is that people think for themselves and the curators and critics themselves reject the elephantine stampede to common denominators, common all too often becoming the end product of their herd like mentality.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather My favorite part of the museum!

Age of Maturity
Camille Claudel