Outlander Series discussion

Other Notable Series > Wilderness Series, Sara Donati

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3151 comments I know so many of you love this series, so I created this thread to discuss!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyface) | 21 comments I have only read the first one, and that was awhile ago, but I really loved it! I've got the second one, I've just gotta find the time to get to it!

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 18 comments thanks

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments I *do* love this series, although I think I liked the earlier books better than the latter.

Although I thought that, overall, the series is very well done. It's not easy to follow a family over several years and mostly feature the same small town in the wilderness.

I thought it has the right balance of American history and romance. It fits it's times, but it also speaks out against intolerance - like the intolerance whites had against Indians and Indians had against whites.

I have to admit that I bawled like a baby at the end of the last book.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 14 comments I really enjoyed parts of the book but I found some other parts really slow and repetitive. If the characters would have been developed to a deeper degree, the slower sections would maybe have been more interesting. I would have liked to see more of Nathaniel's personality. He really faded to the background in the last third of the book.

There was also a lot of time spent on characters that I didn't really care for or couldn't sympathize with. I would have liked more of Chingachook, Aunt Merriweather, Curiosity, Robbie McLachlan and Bears and less time on Liam Kirby and Kitty Witherspoon.

message 6: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments I am really enjoying this series so much. I thought there would be a little more overlap into the Outlander characters. I realize that creates writing issues. They are Diana's not Sarah's and that could be like literary adultery, but I was still hopeful.
I love the original Leatherstocking Tales so was pleased with that connection too. But I have to say, I do find the writing, overall, not so good. Which is disappointing.

message 7: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments I also find myself weirdly drawn to Richard. Anyone else?

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments This series is one that I put almost as high as the outlander series. As with that, we have a true love and steadfastness and unlike Diana Gabaldon, Donati didn't take the path of creating tension between these two wonderful people by creating a situation where the heroine unwittingly is unfaithful to her husband.
The later books, featuring other members of the family, although perhaps not as utterly enthralling as the earlier books, do give an insight into life in those times and all the secondary characters have such interesting stories.
Should SarahDonati have written more in this series? I wish she had, but maybe she has saved us from disappointment the drawing out of a series can sometimes bring us.

message 9: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments I have just finished Fire Along the Sky and I am dying to know--will we ever find out for sure what happened to Nicholas Wilde?

I also feel like Donati's writing is really improving. That usually happens to good authors as they work through a series and I am so pleased!

message 10: by Keely (new)

Keely | 7 comments I really liked this series alot! Definitely not as good as Outlander, but still very enjoyable. I have a love/hate relationship of how the series was ended. I always like to know what happened to the characters in the end, but once I was provided this information, I think I would have been happier not knowing.

message 11: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Lynne (piratecaptain) | 24 comments I'm working my way through the series. I'll have to say, if these are supposed to be a substitute for the Outlander series, it's a thin replacement. This is like airline food after a gourmet meal!

I'd really like to like the characters more, but it's a struggle to get into them. There's so much possibilities, and yet you're left wanting. The writing definitely improves from one book to the next, but her storytelling still wanders to the point of painful. The space on the page could be better spent exploring the characters, rather than repeating the same thing for the second, nay third and often fourth time.

I'm not sure if the series is filling the space until Gabaldon's next book, or making it seem longer.

message 12: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments Keely and Kerry--If you are looking for something to keep you going until the next Outlander I would recommend The Bronze Horseman. It is different and not like Outlander, but the writing is wonderful. I wouldn't say it is as adventure like as Outlander more like drama. But I loved it.
Also, I thought These Is My Words was better than Into the Wilderness. But that is just my opinion.

message 13: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments Kerry wrote: "I'm working my way through the series. I'll have to say, if these are supposed to be a substitute for the Outlander series, it's a thin replacement. This is like airline food after a gourmet meal!

Love the airline food metaphor. Spot on!

message 14: by Keely (new)

Keely | 7 comments I definitely agree that Into the Wilderness was not as good as Outlander, but I dont think I will ever find another series that moved me the way Outlander has. I did enjoy reading Into the Wilderness even though it did have moments where it was slow.

I was just looking at "These is My Words" this morning because it was on my recommended reading for historical fiction, so I will definitely add it. I will also look into the Bronze Horseman as well. :-)

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 21 comments The Bronze Horseman series is the only series that moved me just as much as Outlander. It is an incredible series. I highly recommend it. I enjoyed Into the Wilderness but it didn't move me like the above two.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori (lorimcd) | 657 comments Out of the Wilderness is not the Outlander series by DG, but it's a great, enjoyable series in its own right, IMO.

I was drawn to the series because Ms. Donati acknowledges DG as one of her influences, and she included a quick reference to Claire and Young Ian in the 1st book. But I quickly grew to love the characters and the Americana of it all.

My favs are and will always be Elizabeth and Nathaniel. But I did enjoy reading about their kids' lives and loves, too. Lots of interesting history that's so different from Outlander!

To me, the series is one of my favorites. But everything is subjective!

message 17: by Patty (new)

Patty | 190 comments I enjoyed this series and I really loved QUEEN OF SWORDS. I loved the history of New Orleans and the War of 1812.

message 18: by Keely (new)

Keely | 7 comments gertt wrote: "I agree, there were many interesting characters in Wilderness...Curiosity, Luke, Hawkeye, Bear, and, of course, Hannah...a precocious child who became a strong, intelligent woman."

Oh the characters... it has been a while since I finished the series, I forgot how much I loved Hannah and Curiosity.. that woman just about outlived everyone!

message 19: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments I am loving this series so far. I like how quickly the story moves.

message 20: by Linda B.D. (new)

Linda B.D. (lindabd) | 16 comments How many books are in this series? what is the first book?

message 21: by Brunhilde (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments The first book is Into the Wilderness. I am not sure how many books in the series something like 6 or 7 I think.

message 22: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments I'm just part way through the first one but I am really loving it!

message 23: by Linda B.D. (new)

Linda B.D. (lindabd) | 16 comments Brunhilde wrote: "The first book is Into the Wilderness. I am not sure how many books in the series something like 6 or 7 I think."
Thank You! I read one & loved it. I didn't know it was a series. I will see if-which one I read, then get them all together. Going to Amazon now. Thank You

message 24: by Stella (new)

Stella I'm not a fun, i was looking for a replacement for outlander at the time it was recommended. I was still naïve in my belief that perfection can be duplicated.

I need a book to teach me something I didn't already know or show another perspective i had not considered. Wilderness did neither.

message 25: by Brunhilde (last edited Mar 16, 2015 06:57AM) (new)

Brunhilde | 158 comments Bronze Horseman is amazing. The closest thing I found that could compare with how much I loved Outlander. I would not say they are the same. Apples and Oranges. But wonderful none the less.

message 26: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments Into The Wilderness was good but certainly not the same caliber as Outlander. I enjoyed it but was never compelled to go on to the rest of the series.I am with you on the Bronze Horseman - it is amazing and evoked the same intense emotion in my. It is quicker in a sense though because it is only 3 long books instead of 8. You definitely should try it if you have not. The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1) by Paullina Simons

message 27: by Linda B.D. (new)

Linda B.D. (lindabd) | 16 comments Thank You

message 28: by Vanessa Eden (new)

Vanessa  Eden Patton (vanessaeden) | 549 comments I suppose I need to give Bronze Horseman another try because I got bored with it quick.

message 29: by Jaycee (new)

Jaycee | 1 comments Has anyone noticed that in Into the Wilderness, published 1998, it mentions Ian Murry, who was adopted by the Mohawk, who married Works With Her Hands, his Auntie Claire Frasier, a doctor, known as the White Witch, her husband a big red Scot who was wounded in the battle of Freeman's Farm? I believe that all happened in A Breath of Snow and Ashes, published in 2005. There are other references to the Outlander Series in the Wilderness Series too.

message 30: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 322 comments I never noticed that Jaycee - I wonder if Sara had an idea of where Diana would be going with that character?

message 31: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1359 comments I knew there was mention of the Outlander characters in The Wilderness series but I never paid attention to the dates. Interesting...

message 32: by Patty (new)

Patty | 190 comments This is from an interview with Sara:
http://januarymagazine.com/profiles/d...

I understand that you and Diana Gabaldon are friends.

Yes.

Does that precede the books? Or is it through the books?

We met online, through a third party and started conversing just normally in the regular context of conversation. Then once in a while she'd show me something she was working on and I'd show her something I was working on. This was before Into the Wilderness sold. She was extremely supportive. She's a very generous person. I had an agent at the time that I wasn't really happy with and she introduced me to the agent I have now. The funny part is -- and most of her readers will know -- is that when I was doing the research [for Into the Wilderness] there's a flashback to the battle of Saratoga which was a major battle in the revolutionary war. I was doing the research on the battle of Saratoga and Diana said to me, "Hey my characters are in the battle of Saratoga." It was the first time our storylines intersected. And I said, "Well, I've got this injured boy over here and Nathaniel is looking for a doctor. Can I have Claire?" I was completely joking. And Diana said, "Sure. I'll send her over." So her characters show up briefly in my storyline.

message 33: by Rox (new)

Rox | 11 comments That is just too cool!

message 34: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie Magura (stefmagura) | 64 comments While the Wilderness series isn't as layered as the Outlander series I thought Donati's writing got better as she continued. I thought she did a good job of writing secondary characters such as Liam who weren't always what they seemed. I also enjoyed the look into lives of women of color through the story of Hannah who might be my favorite. I am looking forward to reading her latest book which begins a series on descendants of the Bonner family. It's called the Gilded Hour.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth Sponzilli (bethsponzilli) | 19 comments I've read the first 3 in the series. I took a break to read other books. I will get to them and finish the series though. Good books!