Cats discussion

Your Writing/Books/Stories > Our own stories!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (chold) Since we're clearly cat lovers I'd like to hear some real stories that you have. I know we all have them - cats are such characters!

I love hearing about other people's cats, so share away!

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina (chold) Awww!!! That is absolutely adorable that he puts them in her food bowl! I sometimes wonder if my cats merely tolerate each other - I think they have more of an older brother-young sister relationship. So I think that is an absolutely great story.

It's true, I think we could all be here forever swapping cat stories. I'll have to think of some of my favorites.

I have two, Gambit is a grey tabby who just turned 3 and Desiree is a long-haired black cat who just turned 2. They are both shelter cats.

I'm actually very allergic to cats but I couldn't get a dog in my apartment. I never knew I would loves cats as much as I do! As soon as I got Gambit I was hooked on cats for good. :)

message 3: by Ria (new)

Ria (rial) | 1 comments I usually just read what everyone else writes. But I guess I'll post this time.

I have two cats. My brown tabby(Leo) will be two this year, I rescued him from the neighbors dog at 4 weeks, his mom was cat that I had been feeding for almost a year, but when I brought him in the house, she wouldn't feed him anymore :(.

My other cat(Kitty, she won't come to anything else) was wandering in the yard and when I opened the door to go in the house, well she just walked in. She likes to look out the window. No one has missed her. :(

Leo and she like playing together, mostly after I try to go to sleep, they will run across the bed, then and look to see if I'm awake.

They both have a lot funny things that do, but that would be a lot to write down.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina (chold) Ria, that is so sweet that Kitty just sort of came to you. I do think that animals pick you rather than the other way around(or at least should!).

My little Desiree was in a room with about 30 other kittens at the shelter. I walked in and they were all sleeping but she woke up right away, jumped down on the floor and sat at my feet meowing and looking at me. I didn't want a black cat OR a long hair, but I couldn't deny the fact that she picked me!

Now she's my baby and follows me around like a puppy. Absolute sweetheart.

I love hearing stories about how people got their cats - they're usually more interesting than getting a dog because how many people buy cats from breeders???

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2 comments I've often wondered at the way that we acquired our youngest cat, Chloe. That's her in my photo, curled up in my knitting bag. About a year ago, after a string of painful pet losses, we were down to one 10-year-old cat, Lily. Lily had had problems getting along with some of our other cats, and she seemed happy as an "only cat". We weren't going to search for another pet, but I remember secretly thinking, "well, if I'm supposed to have another cat, send me a kitten."

A couple months later, a dog-owning neighbor found a kitten in their yard - actually, her dogs found it. They weren't equipped for cats, so they brought her to us. We set her up in our screened porch and decided to keep her for a few days while we searched for her home, and then we'd take her to a local no-kill shelter if no one turned up. No one answered our ads. I was torn between wanting to keep the little sweetie and wanting to maintain Lily's "only cat" status, but then I remembered that I'd ASKED for a kitten. She was delivered right to my door, so I figured it must have been meant to be, right?!

Chloe's a wonderful pet, and yes, Lily and Chloe get along just fine.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 26, 2009 08:36AM) (new)

I Have 4 cats: Cookie, Taffy (often called Bobo for some reason), Merlin, and Isis.

Cookie had a pretty hard life before we got her. She was born on the streets and almost had her leg taken off by a raccoon who was fighting over her with her mom. Luckily she was taken in by this lady who takes in strays and takes care of them. We got her from that lady to give to my grandma. When we introduced Cookie to my grandma's cat Trouble, trouble attacked Cookie. We took her to the vet and they had to wrap her up. She wouldn't eat or go to the bathroom until we took off the bandage. She was fine after that. We had to take her home and she became our cat instead!

We got Taffy (who we call Bobo, nicknamed by my sister) from our local SPCA. We had intended to get an older cat if we got a cat at all, but she won us over. She was in a cage wit her two brothers at the very front (it was kitten season and they didn't have a lot of room). Her brothers were going insane, running around and biting her, while she just tolerated it. When we opened the cage to take her into a room to play with her, her brothers tried to escape while she just ran up to the front of the cage and waited for us to take her. She was the sweetest little kitten. Now she's gorgeous, has a tail as long as her body, a freakishly long neck that she bends all the way back, and kills every smaller animal she can catch. I've had to clean us snakes, lizards, and birds, living and dead.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't have a cat but my friend has about 14 of them and one stray. When ever I sit down, about 1/2 of them come a climb on me. =D

message 8: by Deeken (new)

Deeken http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3... that's what I've got so far. I'm going to make more soon. :)

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahthedeaf) | 2 comments Beowulf and Omelas are my owners. I grew up with cats, but none have ever simply taken posession of me, like many others have related to me, like these little rascals. I was perfectly fine living in my small studio apartment located behind a proper house in a small neighborhood. Then my boyfriend had the bright idea of bringing home two small kittens. He gave me a sob story: owner moved to Colorado in the night, left behind, can't leave them anywhere else...etc., etc. The fact of the matter is I was already taken. I named them after my favorite literary characters (10 bucks to you if you know where I got Omelas from), and was definitely not prepared to the next year. I've cleaned up so many birds--live and limp--, beetles, spiders, cockroaches, and one one occasion and very large and particularly fiesty garter snake. They've broken my air conditioner, ripped up the blinds, shredded several books, tossed toiletries in the toilet, chewed up toothbrushes, gotten their heads stuck in styrofoam cups, given a new fur cover and a few holes to my expensive suede futon. And Beowulf has been banned from my regular vet on the grounds that he gave a Chihuahua a smackdown a Mexican wrestler would be jealous of--and proceeded to go after a Jack Russell (hey...I warned them..)

But. I love them. They have the loving personality of dogs, and all the quirks of your typical maladjusted feline. I come home, and they dash through the catdoor to rub up against me. I am their slave, but the only thing they demand of me is love, food, and tummy rubs.

For photos: http://www.myspace.com/theshakedown1979 under the album 'Carnivores'

message 10: by Mary (last edited Jul 28, 2009 12:06AM) (new)

Mary (madamefifi) My husband and I are cat lovers extraordinaire---we have a menagerie of 10! I had 6 when we met and he had one. We blended households but his cat, Mojo, decided he didn't want to live in a multi-cat household and went out one day never to return. We miss him terribly to this day. A year later my girlfriend's cat got knocked up and I ended up taking two of the kittens, so now we are up to 7 cats. My husband said 7 was ENOUGH but wouldn't you know it, late this past winter one of the tellers at his bank told him about a little pregnant stray who was living in the bushes outside, and my husband, the old softie, said---"I'll take her." Little Mama was ensconced in his office (really a tiny little house) where she gave birth to seven!! kittens on March 1sr. Hubby re-homed 2, kept 2 at his office with their mama, and brought 3 home, even though he was only supposed to bring 2. He just couldn't decide, he said. So that's how we ended up with 10 cats. Of course I have a gazillion stories about their antics but I don't want to hi-jack this thread! I will wrap it up by saying that aside from my oldest, all the cats came in litter-mate pairs or triplets, and their ages range from 5 months to 15 years. There is definitely a technique to introducing new cats to a household and I would be happy to share my experience with anyone here.

P S LOVED reading everyone's stories! Let's hear some more!

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) (10 bucks to you if you know where I got Omelas from)

Omelas is the Utopian society described by Ursula Le Guin in her short story, "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas". Excellent kitty name.