C. S. Lewis discussion

whats the best book about C.S. Lewis and his books?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherlin) | 2 comments Greetings,

I am not sure if this is the correct place or group to post this question in. If not please let me know.

But I was wondering what do each of you think is the best book out there that is ABOUT C.S. Lewis and/or Narnia. His life, the symbolisms in the story itself, etc.

So far all I've read is "The Magical Worlds of Narnia" and found it pretty interesting.

If you've read any please share, because there are hundreds and don't have time to read all, just the best. So if you could recommend something that would be great.

Have a great day.

-Heather-

message 2: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris (skylarburris) | 1 comments This is not a BOOK, but there was an excellent article in the December 2007 issue of Touchstone magazine called "Narnia's Secrete: C.S. Lewis and the Seven Heavens" by Michael Ward that argued each of the seven Narnia books represents a different planet and takes its symbolism from that planet.

message 3: by Carl (new)

Carl | 4 comments I picked up a few academic books about Lewis' work a couple years ago, but haven't had a chance to read them yet-- I think one was called "Planets in Peril", and then there was one on his poetry, "CS Lewis: Poet" or something like that, and another book which I can't remember the title too-- if it comes to mind I'll check on that when I get home and send in the title. The last one is more generally about Lewis' work, I think, while the first two are about specific works or bodies of his work.

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl | 4 comments OK, here are the titles of the books I was talking about.
Planets in Peril: A Critical Study of CS Lewis' Ransom Trilogy, by David C Downing.
CS Lewis in Context, by Doris T. Myers (this won the Mythopoeic award for Inklings studies-- you might want to check out the Mythopoeic society online for more ideas about what to read)
CS Lewis, Poet: The Legacy of his Poetic Impulse, by Don W. King

I've been so busy with my own reading and writing I haven't had time return to these, but I may skim a few chapters today if I have a chance!

message 5: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) Skylar -- that is interesting -- thanks for mentioning it here.

I have some books and will see if I can scare up titles to add here for you, Heather. I have a lot of books packed in boxes right now though so unless I have a list, I'll not have access.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherlin) | 2 comments thank you to all of you. will definitely get me started on some interesting reading. if anyone else has anything to suggest I'm all ears. =)

message 7: by Trice (last edited Jun 30, 2010 08:51AM) (new)

Trice and actually Michael Ward has published a book - heard an interview with him on Mars Hill Audio (Ken Myers) that was really interesting. His book is Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C. S. Lewis