Ratebeer Readers discussion

1 view
Not Starting At the Beginning of a Series

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frank (last edited Jan 23, 2008 11:40AM) (new)

Frank Hays (logicalfrank) | 40 comments I got a bunch of cheap extras along w/ my last order on Half.com. It was just a bunch of cheap, random stuff from some science fiction authors I wanted to check out some more of. I got the books today and, as it turns out, three of them are from the middle of the series. Anyway this is what they are:

Garden of Rama by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee. "The sequel to Rama II" and there's another Rama book as well.

Bearing An Hourglass by Piers Anthony. Book two of Incarnations of Immortality.

The Ships of Earth by Orson Scott Card. Homecoming: Volume 3

Anyone familiar w/ these or have any idea if I'm gonna wanna try to read the earlier books first?

message 2: by William (new)

William (acknud) I never like to start a series in the middle. It drives me crazy. I have only read the first of the Piers Anthony series. It was "On a Pale Horse". I did enjoy that book.

message 3: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments Not familiar with any of those particular books, though I did read the original "Rendezvous with Rama" when it first came out (late 70s? can't be bothered to look now). Don't remember it well enough to say how important it is to read it first. And I'm totally, totally anal about reading things in the order in which they were intended, so I'd never read those without starting from the beginning anyway.

message 4: by grantonio (new)

grantonio | 24 comments I've read the Rama series (a long time ago) and I liked the first one (Rendezvous with Rama), while the others were just ok. You'd definitely need the first one to get the others. Plus it discusses boobies in zero gravity.

I've only read the first one from the Piers Anthony series and not the other one at all, so I can't comment on those.

In general, I'm devoted enough to understanding plots as best I can that I am constantly double-checking points within a book that I'm reading. No way could I read a series out of order.

message 5: by Frank (new)

Frank Hays (logicalfrank) | 40 comments Well. I guess I will read the first books first if I'm to tackle the series. I won't get to them for six months or a year anyway. I actually probably wouldn't have gotten them had I realized they were part of a series since that it just too damn much for me to take on. I think in my life I have have read three series Dune, Foundation and Redwall and I've finished... none of them.