Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 Battlefield Earth discussion

Check out this book!!!!!!!!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Curtis this book is so good i say it has futaristic things that might happen in the future and/or the items.

message 2: by Ken (last edited Jan 11, 2012 06:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Magee I read the book many, many years ago - it was great. I remember being delighted when the movie was subsequently released. Only I, and three other people in the world, loved the movie - I don't care!

This post reminded me of the book & movie and inspired me to try and find "Battlefield Earth - The Official Movie Magazine." - I remember buying it when I saw the film. I scanned the cover so I could share it, but I don't know how to attach it to this post. So I added it to the photos in my profile... have a look!

Kevin Milligan Love this book...saw the movie and was dissapointed...bought it nonetheless. Well what could I do? I love the patriotism that was layered throughout the story.

Kevin I read it many years ago, it was ok. I found the prose to be a bit weak but passable. Not high on my list of sci-fi reads.

James It's a good book...nothing life changing though. Apparently the movie is one of the worst movies ever made.

Steve Excellent book, it's nice to come back and reread as I did over the last few weeks. And Yes, the movie made the movie version of Dune look like a masterpiece. Absolutely horrible.

message 7: by James (last edited Feb 12, 2012 09:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

James Hurin wrote: "Not so good book and the movie was horrible.
And when you know the author is the founder of scientology i'm sure i'm not going to read it ever again.
Weird bunch of people, plague on them.
If you w..."

You need to remember that he didn't make his cult until after he wrote this.

I suggest that you think before you wish a plague or anything else on them, since that appears very close to making derogatory comments about a real (albeit strange) religion.

message 8: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Magee Goodreads... the place to discuss books (and stuff). It was a long book which, no doubt, appealed to folk who like that sort of thing... people like me!

Given I liked the book, and I'm a big John Travolta fan (Pulp Fiction FTW), then I'm bound to like the movie!

To enjoy the movie, you have to look past the stupid costumes and the rubbish special effects. To enjoy the movie, you need to be able to suspend reality... and suspend a bit of abnormality as well!

message 9: by Mia (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia I bought this book a couple of yrs. ago at a garage sale because my sister is a huge fan of L. Ron Hubbard and recommended it.

I thought it was pretty good once you wade through the beginning. The start is kind of slow, and I felt this book would have been stronger with a better editor. Otherwise, I found the characters intriguing and the story entertaining.

I never saw the movie, and probably won't. But the book's okay.

message 10: by John (last edited Mar 11, 2012 06:32PM) (new) - added it

John T Whatever you do DONT see the movie! Arguably Hubbard was a freak. Certainly the people who do the church of scientology are freaks. The movie was made by the scientology freaks and it is probably the worst movie Ive ever seen. AND, Im a BIG fan of the book.

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 2 stars

Paul James wrote: You need to remember that he didn't make his cult until after he wrote this.

At the risk of starting a flamewar, $cientology was started in 1953. Battlefield Earth, first published in 1982. Before you slap someone down, make sure your own facts are correct.

That said, I read it as a teenager and wasn't overly impressed then. This was the booked that stopped me bothering with the Mission Earth series that came after.

message 12: by C.E. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.E. Crowder I enjoyed the book as a goofy space opera. Some fun events and problem-solving. I'm not sure its length is justified, but it's a quick read at least. The movie didn't add anything to the experience.

Kevin Milligan @Edward. Mission Earth was horrible. I attempted the first one and could not finish it. I did like this book though but no could not do much with Hubbard.

Steve Got to agree with Kevin, Mission: Earth was pretty painful. I got through several (don't remember how many) before giving up. There were some interesting concepts to it but it got bizarre pretty fast.

message 15: by Pet (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pet I enjoyed the book when I first read it in the 80's, more so because I am a Rhodie and Hubbard spent some time in that part of the world, which is why he based some of the story there.

However at the time I knew nothing about his cult, that changes my view considerably.

James Edward wrote: "James wrote: You need to remember that he didn't make his cult until after he wrote this.

At the risk of starting a flamewar, $cientology was started in 1953. Battlefield Earth, first published i..."

Interesting...I didn't know Scientology was so old. The majority of his writing was done prior to 1950, I guess I never noticed that Battlefield Earth was not.

James Pet wrote: "I enjoyed the book when I first read it in the 80's, more so because I am a Rhodie and Hubbard spent some time in that part of the world, which is why he based some of the story there.

However at..."

If you enjoyed the book before you found out about his cult, why does it change anything? The story didn't change the day you found out about it.

message 18: by Pet (new) - rated it 2 stars

Pet Lets just say I got an up close and personal look at Scientology, and now I can not pick up that book without thinking about stuff I would rather not. Which of course then affects my enjoyment of it....

Stephina OMG!!! This is one of my favorite books. When I can't find something to read, this book is one of the 7 I go to. I can careless who wrote it.

message 20: by Kaus (new) - rated it 1 star

Kaus Wei I tried reading this after having seen the film, so--I admit--my expectations were low; I wasn't going in expecting the height of story telling or character development. Despite that, it still managed to severely disappoint me. Nothing about the story, or the characters grabbed me. It seemed I was reading about cardboard cut-outs doing stuff against card-board backdrops. In the end, I gave up half-way through, and eventually pawned the book off to a used book store for credit.

Scott Seldon This book was fantastic. A friend recommended it to me. I read it and loved it. I have to say the movie was a sorry disappointment. They changed some crucial things that make the movie jump the shark (a harrier won't fly after 50 years, much less 1000). But in the book, this was handled in a fantastic way. I subsequently read Hubbard's Mission Earth and was sorely dissapointed. He has a good grasp of creating an alien or futuristic world, but he wasn't that good a story teller. Battlefield Earth is his best work.