The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > newbie here

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciawyland) | 3 comments Hi everyone. I'm new here, obviously. I decided to check out some online book clubs in hopes of getting my reading habit back on track and expanding my interests. Any recommendations would be great!

message 2: by Allison (last edited Apr 23, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Welcome to TNBBC! You will find a lot of friendly people here ready to push their favorite books on you :)

...and I'm one of them. hehe. I don't know what type of books you like to read, but...

YA Fantasy:
Graceling
The Hunger Games-CAN'T recommend this highly enough

Fantasy Series:
Otori series of 5 books, starts with Across the Nightingale Floor, it takes place in a mythical Japan-like world. Very good.

If you like classics like Pride and Prejudice, try North and South, its much better ;)

Other stuff:
Anne of Green Gables
The Host

I could probably go on for ages, but I know you'll get plenty of others. :)

message 3: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Hi Alicia. Welcome!!

message 4: by Jolene (new)

Jolene Welcome Alicia! To really run wild, check into the seasonal reading challenges and set some goals. After finding that myself, I immediately found about 10 books (from my many, many on my TBR list) and said I need to read these NOW. I like the personal challenge and the discussions are great. Like Allison said, you'll get a lot of referrals, it really is a great group!

message 5: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Alicia! No where better to get your reading back.

message 6: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Welcome Alicia! No where better to get your reading back.

message 7: by Susan C (new)

Susan C (somersetpurplegmailcom) Welcome and what genre's interest you?

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi Alicia... welcome to the group. We have tons of books being read, splurged on, recommended... check out the threads. you are bound to find TONS to fall in love with!

message 9: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi Alicia,

Welcome to the group!!!

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aliciawyland) | 3 comments Thanks everyone! I've always been mostly interested in non-fiction. I like memoirs, usually ones about people struggling with something (especially mental illness). I've also always liked reading about criminal behaviors (specifically serial killers and sex offenders). I'm a counselor who works with sexual assault victims, so I try to keep up with all of the new information and findings. Unfortunately, I'm also starting to get a little burnt out, so I've been trying to read more fiction. It's much lighter than the stuff I deal with in real life and provides me with an escape. Where do I learn more about these challenges?

message 11: by Jolene (new)

Jolene Alicia wrote: ..............Where do I learn more about the challenges?"

They are on the discussion board "Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges" and broken down from there. By the number of views the "spring challenge" has had, it's obviously people are going crazy with these. I'm looking forward to "summer" and can't wait to see what tasks they come up with. It really is a way to expand beyond a habitual genre. And highly addictive!