College Students! discussion

college talk > to get further education or not

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments as we know, many cerebrities get higher education. while to get rich experience is also very important.We prefer to chasing our dreams .However, the society nowadays don't give us many opportunities. to get more chance for myself, I have to learn more,and learn to do it with earnest.

message 2: by Mandee (new)

Mandee (amandalinajanel) | 378 comments I'm all about further education, whether it's in school, or not. Like maybe, taking an extended traveling trip can be just as good an education, if not better, than you can get in a classroom...but it won't affect your bank account in the same way ;} !

But I agree, we should be more earnest about a lot of the things we do.

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I feel like I struggle between that balance of wanting to keep schooling myself to learn more or if I want to just soak up all the rich experiences that I can. I feel like both options hold so much for me.

Shelly..where do you live? and what are you going to school for?

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (slinkyxo) | 153 comments I'm all about learning..no matter what what form that takes. I too struggle with that balance that Jamie was speaking of. It's so hard.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I'm the same way. I don't care how I learn..I just want to learn..whether that is by books or experience.

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments Jamie wrote: "I feel like I struggle between that balance of wanting to keep schooling myself to learn more or if I want to just soak up all the rich experiences that I can. I feel like both options hold so much..."
I study in China. I am eager to get knowledge,and I am curious about many things.However I find it hard to keep balance. Our engergy and time is limited. to take more activities or learn more about my major? Everyday my schedule is full. I do things according to my interests,but I am interested in so many things.

message 7: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments Mandee wrote: "I'm all about further education, whether it's in school, or not. Like maybe, taking an extended traveling trip can be just as good an education, if not better, than you can get in a classroom...but..."

sometimes I also dream to live the kind of life that I can go anywhere and do anything I like. but money is problem.

message 8: by raiN (new)

raiN (iamrain) | 17 comments I'm with Molly too. I'm all about learning.
Learning is just all around us. And most of the time, the best lessons aren't taught at school. ^_^

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments To-be-or-Not-to-be wrote: "I'm with Molly too. I'm all about learning.
Learning is just all around us. And most of the time, the best lessons aren't taught at school. ^_^"

I am in entire agreement with you. but we have spend so many money entering school. we have to make the most use of it to get more.after graduation,we have less time. Moreover, a research shows that mental ability will decrease after 25 yeas old.

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I feel a bit different about learning at school. Since I work at a CPA office, and am going to school to get my CPA license, I can see which classes are actually teaching us things and which ones are not.

We are lucky enough to have one professor that is a CPA and teaches us practical everyday use stuff. The other two, one is a CMA and figures we are all going off to work for a fortune 500 company to be CEO so we learn very little practical work. and the other, he is just an interesting individual. :)

So, real life experiences teach much better than schooling. I am guessing that this would be true for most careers, doctors, teachers, etc. Nothing in life is cut and dry textbook problems. I am not saying school is a waste, you have to learn the basics in any field before you can solve problems.

I just feel like I learn more from life than school. Does anyone else feel like that?

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin One reason I love my school is because of the high amounts of foreign exchange students. I am becoming better and better friends with some oriental girls who just love to learn and experience things. I don't have the money or the time to really study abroad so I try to get in with as many of the foreign exchange students as possible.

I always thought it was funny in school when you have those kids who complain about the teachers and school and everything else they can. They weren't liked by the teachers or the kids who weren't getting into trouble. I was always interested in learning while they tended to be fine with not knowing. As a future ag. teacher I hope to broaden my students love for all subjects. Its my main problem with many FFA ag teachers. They give their students this idea that its alright for them to only care about agriculture because only agriculture can teach them everything. The real problem is we're lacking in teachers who can teach and bring out the love of their subjects. If you have a good teacher then you will love what ever subject they are talking about.

When I get the chance I want to start learning more about the different theories of teaching so I can fight more efficiently against the usual beliefs that hold teaching back.

message 12: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments my major is materials science and engineering. I first find it boring,because it's far from what i thought. even it's not that boring for me ,i am more intersting with phycology and language. I learn them just for fun,but i have to take my major more seriously. I hate the chinese education system.

message 13: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 13 comments with Tami. when i am a volunteer in a museum, I learn a lot from all kinds of people . from all various books i read in my spare time, i get more knowledge than that in class. class is always so boring......

message 14: by raiN (last edited May 16, 2009 11:01PM) (new)

raiN (iamrain) | 17 comments I'm with you there Shelly! Class can get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally boring at times. Well, not all professors have that talent to brighten up the day right? ^_^

message 15: by JulianCharteris (new)

JulianCharteris | 1 comments I think education is very important, so it is worth spending both money and time, I study at the university, I can help you with writing various works, you can find examples of my works on my website https://oceanessay.com/ , I will be happy to help everyone.