Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Sock Monkeys (do you dream-fly? What stroke/The Flying Monkeys/Wizard of Oz)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments A strange confluence of events (the "WOOT" thread and a jack-in-the-box that I spotted while strolling through Target Mon. night) compelled me to adopt the sock monkey avatar. The sock monkey was greeted with enthusiasm by several Terminal Coffee members (thanks for the comments, they made my day).

Now i'm curious: are sock monkeys enjoying a resurgence right now or is it a positive association with childhood memories?

Here's my sock monkey story...

The first few years of my life were spent in a very small town (pop. 500-ish). There was a very nice widow by the name of Eileen, and it always made me happy when we sat near Eileen in church. It turns out that Eileen's hobby was making sock monkeys. When I was around six or seven years old I got the chicken pox and was home from school for several days. On one of those days there was a knock at our front door and it was Eileen. She had a sock monkey for me. Evidently she made them for all of the kids from church and having chicken pox was the rite of passage to earn one's sock monkey (i'm presuming...). I still have the little fellow packed away somewhere, as he is a fond memory of how close knit communities can be sort of cool at times.

Does anyone have a similar story?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Hm. This is interesting. I'm not sure what to make of Eileen. Sweet small town lady? Clinically insane? Both? Let's see the sock monkey, sir. And how did she know you were sick? Did she hang out in the school office?

By the way...work is going to SUCK today if you went to bed at 2AM....hope you can wake later:)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) I like monkeys:
they are playful, mischievous and cute.

I have a pink money that was given to my son and that he outgrew. I kept it. (I was once invited to a gathering in which we were told to bring our pet peeves; I named him Peeve, pinned this name to his chest and brought him. The hostess was not amused, it wasn't quite what she'd had in mind...)

Sock monkeys are that much more endearing because they are homespun, homemade.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my grandmother was crafty. not in a diabolical way, but in the way where she made stuff. all time. when i was young and she retired from the store bakery where she worked she took a part time job at Van's Hobby Shop a great place filled with model rockets, train sets and many different kinds of glue. it was boy heaven. at her house she had tables set up and shelves full of "crafts-in-progress". little clear boxes full of eyes waiting to be affixed to dolls and yards and yards of yarn used for making all the grandchildren scarves and hats and those bands that went around your head to keep your ears warm. we thought those were so dorky and never wore them. she made afghans and funny little crocheted yarn horses. there were different yearly gifts for the grandchildren depending on how old you were. she had 8 kids and they had broods of kids. grandma martin worked year round on home made gifts. of all the things she made the one i remember the most are the sock monkeys. i think that was an 5-7 year range gift. i can still almost see the stitching that made the eyebrows. unlike tadpole i don't have mine still but i wish i did. i saw one in a store around christmas (a factory produced job) that made me stand there for a minute and smile quietly thinking about my grandma martin.

whew, how bout those cubs? LOL

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) they look like flying cockroaches.
(which I've witnessed)
just saying...

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) but how can you say these flying monkeys are friendlier than sock monkeys?

they look....very scary to me.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I didn't have sock monkeys around when I was a kid, my mom wasn't crafty and my grandmothers lived far away, and I don't think they were particularly crafty either. I learned to crochet from friends in college, that's how non-crafty my childhood was.

But, as a youth librarian, I became convinced a couple of years ago that a sock monkey program was the thing to do. Never mind that I don't sew! The library had a program KIT, with simple instructions and all the materials you would need to make a monkey, except the socks (needles, thread, buttons, stuffing, yarn, etc.).

So, to prepare for the program, I got Chris to give me a pair of his old red wool socks, and I made the homeliest sock monkey you've ever seen. The tail is too long, the arms are kinda crooked, and one ear is stuffed, and the other isn't because I didn't realize they weren't supposed to be stuffed until I already had one sewn on.

It took me hours, and my hands were cramping by the time he was finished. But, gosh darn it, I made him by hand, all by myself. And I had an overflow crowd at the program, too - the kids had to share needles, and we ran out of stuffing completely!

If I remember, I'll take a picture of red sock monkey after work and post it here for you to see.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments How do Fizzies lead to madness, Ko? Is it all the artificial flavors and sweeteners in them?
And what is the connection to sock monkeys?

:::wonders feverishly:::

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Fizzies sound like Airborne, but with pretentions of nostalgia, instead of false health claims. Or like Pop Rocks, before you add the water. Those kinda hurt, as I recall.

The crappy drink I remember from my childhood is Shasta, which came in all kinds of flavors. I really loved Tiki Punch. :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We used to do something similar around age 12-16...bonfires on the beach, never any booze. Just the sugariest drinks in the world, and every kind of candy we could buy in the bulk bins and the novelty bins, and can after can of pringles. We just talked and swam and gorged ourselves. Just thinking about it makes me twitch.

message 11: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I always wanted a sock monkey... they seemed at once mysterious and genial, although I concede that they do have a bit of the freaky clown look to them.

Pop Rocks... we gave a litle taste of these to Jessi when she was about 3 and she absolutely freaked out. Couldn't get it off her tongue, couldn't swallow the fizzy particles without feeling it go down all the way. She ran around the family room with her tongue out and screaming. Poor kid (but it was hilarious to watch). I wonder if that wasn't the deterant to her eating any kind of candy, save chocolate, now.

In about 12 years she'll be going through therapy and uncover this repressed memory which traumatized her, and then she'll come a-callin'. Oops. :}

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments ok, sherri's comment made me remember this thought:

can you imagine that when we were buying all those "penny candies" at the corner store a bunch of them had bulk buying jars where you took the lid off, grabbed a handful of licorice with your walnut stained, worm gut residue, eye goober wiping hands and then counted out the 13 that you could buy with the $0.13 you had in your linty pocket and then put the rest back into the jar for the next poor sap to buy. no rubber gloves, no tongs and no problems. i was much healthier then

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
A friend had a sock monkey on her baby registry. It cost $59.00. I nearly died.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Kevin - thanks for that thought. Worm gut residue? Eeeeeyuck. Boys are gross.

message 15: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments yeah, i cleaned it up a bit for you ladies

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Note to self: never take candy from Kevin.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments right. i am the ONLY one that did that. i also sucked on grapes in the produce department at the grocery and put them back. there

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Note to self: Never shake Kevin's hand unless he hasn't been fishing and his eye-goobers are still intact. (But how would you know? He wears sunglasses...)
Note to self: Wear gloves.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Note to self: never buy bulk candy again.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Note to self: never buy bulk candy again."

That may be a life lesson Jackie.

message 21: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I remember when someone got one of those candy necklaces everyone on the playground would get a bite. That couldn't have been too sanitary...

RA: Regarding Eileen: that is one of the "joys" of living in a very small town - lots of folks know stuff about you sometimes even before you do. I'll see if I can dig up the sock monkey tonight...

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments tadpole - yup. the saliva necklace

message 23: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Oh, definitely worm guts & eye goobers, usually with a healthy dose of the dreaded red clay that my Mom would pop a vein over.

I was the worst at keeping clean as a kid... and, yea, I was much healthier then too. :) Hmmm... note to self: maybe you should go play in the mud next time it rains.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments only meds i took was that red stinging-fire stuff mom would put on a scrape or cut

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin the Barbarian wrote: "only meds i took was that red stinging-fire stuff mom would put on a scrape or cut"

Iodine?

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin, you put the grapes back after sucking on them? Ga-ross!

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments jim - methiolade (btw 0-0 top of 4. brew up 5-0 7th)

hey sally, read the name baby. barbarian

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Kevin the Barbarian wrote: "jim - methiolade (btw 0-0 top of 4. brew up 5-0 7th)

hey sally, read the name baby. barbarian"

Geez Kevin, to show how mentally draining this weeks been I thought you were telling me a formula for how much methiolade your Mom put on. I caught it on the second reading.

message 29: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that was secret MLB code

message 30: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments I thought you guys were just making a drug deal and I was trying to act like I was down...
;)

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Heh Kevin's story is not grossing me out at all but making me feel a hefty nostalgia for those old-time candy stores with the jars and jars of candy we would all reach our dirty hands in. Now I'm sure where those still exist it is an expensive store where the cashier wears those plastic disposable gloves to count out the candies. And kids these days are sicker!

My disgusting drink of choice was Hawaiian Punch, otherwise known as bug juice,because that's what it attracted, aside from us kids. I wonder just what was the chemical composition of that was, even before the bugs.

And Kevin's grandmother is the Grandma of our dreams.

Sock monkeys never made it to NYC, cause I never even heard of them before til recently. Was my childhood depraved? *sob* As for flying monkeys, they scared the shit out of me! I'd have to cover my eyes when I knew they'd be swooping down on Dorothy and company. THe only other scene that scared me as much as the flying monkeys was when Dorothy was talking to Aunty Em in the
crystal ball only to have the Wicked Witch loom out!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I still hate Hawaiian Punch, Lori. It always tasted a lot like the big can it came in, too.

Now I'm craving salt water taffy, for some reason. That's about the only bulk candy I ever get anymore, and it comes wrapped, so they'd be safe from Kevin's dirty germy fingers.

Hey, did anyone ever do that thing where you watch The Wizard of OZ while listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" on the stereo? I tried it, and wasn't all that impressed, but then, I was sober...

message 33: by Lori (new)

Lori Noooo, and I absolutely love that Pink Floyd, huh I'm surprised we didn't do that in my stoner days! Get this tho, we only had a black and white TV growing up, didn't get color until I outgrew Wizard of Oz in my early teens I guess, so I had absolutely no idea that when Dorothy got to Oz the movie turned color until I was extremely stoned in college. As you can imagine, many exclamations of various stoned comments ensued, like Wow and Intense and Heavy.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Every time I see the title of this thread I think it says Sea Monkeys.

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori I thought that too, Larry, since they are a recurring theme here.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sea Monkeys in cute shoes.

message 37: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Sherri, I completely agree. And it can't be the Party! Woooooooo-Hooooo! kind of chemical enhancment, it has to be the Duuude kind.

I was always frightened and enthralled by the flying monkeys as a kid. Now I know that the Wicked Witch was just misunderstood, I think I relate much more. Dorothy was just a Dinglehead.

message 38: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments And I had an overflow crowd at the program, too - the kids had to share needles, and we ran out of stuffing completely

Out of context, this sounds like a very strange library program.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

It does, doesn't it, RA, like some kind of druggy Thanksgiving turkey stuffing bacchanal...
My god, no wonder we're losing our funding!

message 40: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments Oh my. That does sound pretty bad.
The new "Kids Sharing Needles & Stuffing After-school Program". Not sure that would be too popular.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

I, too, am extraordinarily fascinated with the flying monkeys.

That is how I fly in my dreams: prone and fast.

message 42: by Lori (new)

Lori I swim. The breast stroke!

message 43: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Those were quite possibly, besides my Aunt Janet with the 'stache, the creepiest things ever

message 44: by Lori (new)

Lori What? You better be talking about those flying monkeys and not my breast strokes!

message 45: by Sally, la reina (new)

Well, there is something about your loopy strokes when you fly, Lori, it's like you're careening from spot to spot.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Def a creepy monkey reference

message 47: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments OK, I found the sock monkey and put him to work guarding my J.G. Ballard stash.

I still haven't figured out how to embed pics posted on Picassa, so here's the link...
http://picasaweb.google.com/tadpole31...#

This way probably works out better for Sherri, as I never noticed how freakishly clown like he looks.

message 48: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I always find myself surfing the waves of air currents. And, I often am blasting fire at people down below as I'm flying. I wonder what that means? (Frued? Jung? are you out there?)

message 49: by Lori (new)

Lori Aw, he's adorable! And very big too.

message 50: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments That's what she said! (snicker)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.