The Next Best Book Club discussion

Non-Book Related Banter > NEW YORK CITY BROADWAY RECOMMENDATIONS???

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 44 comments Okay, so I have spontaneously booked a trip before my European trip in June. I am headed to NYC in May. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a Broadway show that I haven't seen. I saw Wicked there last year. I have seen Mama Mia in Vegas, Phantom at several locations, and will soon see Lion King here in OKC. I want something that my husband will enjoy too. Please help!!!!

message 2: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Avenue Q is HILARIOUS. Oh and I also recommend Spring Awakening. If you enjoy Monty Python, go see SpamALot!

message 3: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Phantom is sooo good!
I dont know what is out there.... I'm just jealous that you are going to see a show!

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) I loved Hairspray. It's funny and the music is upbeat. You come out happy. Stomp is not a broadway play, but it's really good too.

If you want to be really spontaneous you should go to the TKTS booth on Father Duffy Square. You can get shows for up to half price and even 60% off. They sell tickets for all the shows on the day of the play. You've probably seen the booths in Vegas.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Lucky devil!

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Wagner (smilingldsgirl) | 2 comments The ticket booths are a good idea and the best way to get a discount. Lion King has been around for a while but if you haven't seen it the costumes and sets are amazing.
Also, even with the hype I loved Wicked. Both the Lion King and Wicked are appropriate with kids but fun for adults. Also, I have heard that Mary Poppins is wonderful.

I am so jealous!

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) *howl of envious rage* I want to see something too...

I may have to abandon the family and take a trip to NYC!

message 8: by Liz M (last edited Apr 24, 2009 04:17AM) (new)

Liz M If you'd prefer to make specific theater plans in advance look here or here for discount codes.

I've heard wonderful things about South Pacific, although the amazing award-winning cast is no longer in it, it is probably still a good show. Several friends loved In the Heights and we all want to see the bilingual West Side Story. Billy Elliot is still mostly sold out, so presumably it has something going for it. 9 to 5 & Next to Normal are also getting rave reviews from "friends of friends". Lastly, I've heard Rock of Ages is "surprisingly good", no one can say why, just that they loved it.

message 9: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Hayes wrote: "*howl of envious rage* I want to see something too...

I may have to abandon the family and take a trip to NYC!"

WAITING FOR GODOT
* Studio 54
* First Preview: April 3
* Opening: April 30
* Director: Anthony Page
* Cast: Bill Irwin, Nathan Lane, John Goodman and John Glover
* Roundabout Theatre Company revival of Samuel Beckett's existential tale about two clowns and two passersby. $24.25 - $79.50* discount code: WGPBOL2 expires 4/29.

message 10: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Liz wrote: "Hayes wrote: "*howl of envious rage* I want to see something too...

I may have to abandon the family and take a trip to NYC!"

WAITING FOR GODOT
* Studio 54
* First Preview: April 3
*..."

I read the article in the NY Times about Godot... someone go see it for me and tell me how it is!!

message 11: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 44 comments Still taking any recommendations. I really wanted to see Jersey Boys but it seems to be pretty pricey. Let me know what you think!

message 12: by Tracie (new)

Tracie | 2 comments Hey Brooke!! I second April's recommendation. When I was in NYC we went to the TKTS and got tickets to Avenue Q. It was hilarious!!! Even with TKTS tickets we were in the 2nd row and the tickets were 60% off.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 423 comments Okay, I know this sounds weird, but I saw Legally Blonde: the Musical on Broadway and it is probably my favorite thing ever! I loved it more than the movie and have plans to see it twice more (it is on tour now, I think). Once more in LA in August and then in San Diego next Spring! I am so excited. I have the soundtrack too and listen to it alot. *Hums to herself* Maybe you will change your mind but look up to find I have moved on to better things... *groans* now it will be stuck in my head all day!

message 14: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethbaker) | 98 comments I know people have been mentioning many of the musicals, but you can get some great prices at the TKTS Booth for plays right now, and there are some great ones showing!

Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury
Exit the King with Susan Surandon and Jeffrey Rush
God of Carnage with James Gandolfini, Jeff Daniels, Hope Davis, and Marcia Gay Harden
Desire Under the Elms with Brian Dennehy and Carla Gugino

And, Hair is also playing if you want a musical. (Note: some of the great musical that have been mentioned are sadly no longer playing on Broadway because of poor ticket sales due to the economy.)

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez Mary Beth wrote: "I know people have been mentioning many of the musicals, but you can get some great prices at the TKTS Booth for plays right now, and there are some great ones showing!."

I've also heard recently that it's possible to get last-minute tickets to the musical Billy Elliott (which was nominated for a Tony Award today). A friend told me that he had gone on the show's website and that, the day before a performance, they sell at a discount any of the "special" reserved seats that normally cost a fortune.

In general, though, I highly recommend TKTS. You never know what you might find there, but there's almost always something worth seeing.

Enjoy!