Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Book Discussions > In The Garden Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by jenjn79 (last edited Apr 22, 2009 08:42PM) (new)

jenjn79 | 290 comments Mod
Summary: Three new-found friends face life, find love and deal with the growing antagonism of the Harper ghost - who seems set on destroying their romantic relationships.

1. Blue Dahlia
2. Black Rose
3. Red Lily

Nora Roberts

Blue Dahlia (In The Garden trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts Black Rose (In the Garden trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts Red Lily (In the Garden trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 13 comments I loved this trilogy. One of my favorites.

message 3: by Miss Kim (last edited Apr 24, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I absolutely LOVED this trilogy. Next to Chesapeake Bay, its a must read for any Noraholic. I just loved the ending of Red Lilley. Harper is just so dreamy. *sigh*

message 4: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Loved loved Blue Dahlia and loved Red Lily. I only liked Black rose. What was the guys name in Blue Dahlia, was it Gabe? Loved how he gave Stella such a hard time.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 13 comments It's been a few years since I read this trilogy so I don't remember the names. Yeah, of all 3, I must agree that Black Rose was my least favorite.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 13 comments The first book was my favorite of the three.

message 7: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments Only loved Blue Dahlia from this trilogy...Red Lily was funny and cute too, just loved the heroine's sense of humor!

message 8: by Miss Kim (last edited Apr 27, 2009 06:25AM) (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Teryl wrote: "Loved loved Blue Dahlia and loved Red Lily. I only liked Black rose. What was the guys name in Blue Dahlia, was it Gabe? Loved how he gave Stella such a hard time."

I think his name was Logan.

Roz's story, Black Rose, was my least favorite, too. She's such a hard ass, and the man was just kind of a bumbling boob to me.

message 9: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Logan, that's it!

message 10: by Amar (new)

Amar | 134 comments I didn't even read Black Rose, had no interest in Roz's love story...got enough of a taste in Red Lily.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (steffiestar) | 2 comments LOVED, LOVED, LOVED! I'm into Gardening, so that was an Extra Bonus!! For sure in My Top 5 of Nora Roberts Trilogies!

Friends in Reading!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments I think it was Logan. I Liked Red Lily the best of them all. then Blue Dahlia and Black rose last. but I can't say I really was meh about any of them in this series. This series is probably my second or third fav of Noras.

message 13: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 41 comments I loved this trilogy! This was the first actual trilogy that i read and i loved all three of the books. I think my favorite was Blue Dahlia, Red Lily was a close second, and then Black Rose. I don't know why, i guess Black Rose just didn't do it for me as much as the other ones did.

message 14: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) There seems to be a consensus that we didn't like Roz much! LOL.

message 15: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Ok, I'm gonna say it and I know it is so crappy of me to say, but part of me didn't like Black Rose because of Roz's age. There I said it, LOL

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 13 comments I really enjoyed Red Lily since my family was in the floral business. Really could relate to that one.
I really can't remember the age of Roz. But, she was a feisty ole broad.

message 17: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) I thought she was about late 40's. Her son Harper was old enough to be a hero in Red Lilly. Her name was a turn off or me too. I know--how petty.

message 18: by Teryl (new)

Teryl Some times it can be the smallest stupidest thing that turns me off to a character.

message 19: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Teryl wrote: "Some times it can be the smallest stupidest thing that turns me off to a character."

I'll admit that sometimes I don't like them because of a hairstyle the author gives them. It will just throw me off for the entire character.

message 20: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I am a mental hair changer, especially for the guys, lol most of my heros have the shaggy hair look, lol

message 21: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 13 comments For me, Roz was just too perfect...like she can do no wrong...that made her a not-so believable heroine in my book and I cannot empathize with her character so much.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) These were my first reads by Nora and I loved them. I thought all three were great. I have to say- I thought Black Rose was interesting because Roz was older. Nora did a great job with a tasteful romance for her! My favorite was Red Lily! Harper was a great guy!

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments Teryl, one of the things I didn't like was Roz' age. I think its because I am young. if I was more that age I might be more inclined to oooh and aaah over her romance. But small things like that turn me off a charecter too.
And I also change the heros in my head, not on purpose I just end up picturing them the way my brain wants me to.

message 24: by Teryl (new)

Teryl I feel bad for not liking her because of that, like it is agism or something, lol

message 25: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (ardelia27) Don't feel bad Teryl! Sometimes I just can't connect to characters either. I think I found Roz interesting because my mom had recently been on the singles scene! I thought it was a unique take on a more mature relationship!

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 54 comments I loved this series! I think I enjoyed the first book a tiny bit more than the rest. There was just no getting over the chemistry between Gabe and Stella.

I liked Lily and Harper together, but I was a little weirded out at some points. Aren't they related in some way? lol. That's all I kept thinking throughout the story and I got distracted often. But it was definitely cute how Harper got along with Lily's baby (I forgot her name).

message 27: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments I'm another fan of this series. I liked all the stories, with Black Rose being the favorite. Probably bacause I am in my 40s, so I can relate better to Roz and how she would think, though my kids are 13 and 10, I can't relate to having grown children. As for Haley (her baby is Lily)and Harper being related, yes that made me pause for a minute. But, I think their fathers were cousins, making them second cousins, at the most. They didn't grow up knowing each other, either, which probably makes a difference, too. (Just in a social/emotional way, though)

message 28: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments Kerri, I know what you mean, but I think her fathers cousin was his fathers cousin, something like that. it was a way distant if I remember. It didn't bother because she explained how distant the relationship was. maybe its just me

message 29: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Levine | 96 comments Definitely not just you, Emily. I'm thinking you that you are right. They aren't really blood cousins, but cousins by marraige, recognized in that great southern way as "family." Isn't there a scene in Red Lily were Harper asks just how they are related, and they agree to just call it "kissing cousins?" I thought that was cute.

message 30: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments Yes, I believe so. I thought it was cute too and I know that they do recognize family like that there. My step mom is from Kentucky and she has "family" just like that. so I guess since I have seen it its not weird for me. I could see how people might miss that part and be a little grossed out by it though.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 54 comments I guess I'm not familiar with that because I've lived in NY my whole life, but I can see what you guys are saying. I think I missed the part where they described the relationship as being very distant. Makes more sense now. Thanks :)

message 32: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 13 comments Blue Dahlia is my favorite out of the three books.

message 33: by Cammie (new)

Cammie I'm just getting ready to start this series on Sunday.

message 34: by Caro (last edited Feb 04, 2010 04:21PM) (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) I really loved this trilogy, which is kind of surprising since I'm not usually into paranormal at all. My favorite book was Black Rose, closely followed by Blue Dahlia. For some reason, I wasn't very interested in Hayley and Harper, although their story was cute too.

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily (imabrooks2) | 81 comments I think I liked red lily because of Hayley being possessed. that was fun.

message 36: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments I really enjoyed this series. The ghost thing was fun, but I really loved the characters. I think I listened to the audio on this one, and they were great also.

message 37: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (janelba) I've only read Blue Dahlia so far but have recently purchase Black Rose and Red Lily. Looking forward to reading them as I loved Blue Dahlia

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (literarykate) | 5 comments Just finished Blue Dahlia and got the other two from the library this week. Great series that is keeping me occupied until Happy Ever After is released. :)

message 39: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle (toastqueen) One of my favorites! Stared Blue Dahlia via audiobook, which was good, but I can read faster and devoured the last two of the trilogy! :)

message 40: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I just finished this trilogy. It was sweet and I was surprised by the final details of the Harper Bride's death.

message 41: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6061 comments Mod
My favorite was the last book, Red Lily. I loved Harper.

message 42: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C Harper is awesome! The night at the Peabody that he planned for Hayley took my breath away. If only real live men were like that ::sigh::

message 43: by Jonetta (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Harper is awesome! The night at the Peabody that he planned for Hayley took my breath away. If only real live men were like that ::sigh::"

I wholeheartedly agree! It was lovely, romantic and imaginative. Go Harper!

message 44: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessamc) | 58 comments I just scored the mp3 for Black Rose and already have Red Lily. Only 1 more to go. I love the audios for this one.

message 45: by Talya (last edited Mar 16, 2011 12:03PM) (new)

Talya | 741 comments Mod
I have just started In the Garden Trilogy.

I'm 123 pages into Blue Dahlia and so far I am enjoying it, it's just that the pacing is quite slow for me. I usually sail through pages when reading Nora, but this one's taking me longer to cover the pages, I guess it's all the plant detail and dialog that I'm trying to absorb. I usually can't really keep up when Nora describss flowers, I'm totally a black thumb and no good with gardening. But I like how Nora's passion for flowers comes through in her books.

With all that said, I am liking Stella as a heroine, and Logan is a cute (albeit prickly) hero.
I really like Hayley and Harper already, so cute.
Roz is still growing on me (too perfectly put together and easy going at the same time), but it's nice to know that she's gonna be a heroine and one that's over 40, that's a refreshing change!
I'll see how the rest of the trilogy goes for me.

message 46: by Jonetta (new)

Blue Dahlia was hard for me to get through, too. Hayley and Harper's story was my favorite. When I began picturing Roz as Sela Ward, I became an immediate fan:)

message 47: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I totally see Roz as Sela Ward. Great description. :)

I liked how the series tackled all different types of relationships - single mother with kids, over 40 and young love.

message 48: by Jonetta (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I totally see Roz as Sela Ward. Great description. :)

I liked how the series tackled all different types of relationships - single mother with kids, over 40 and young love."

I'm glad you agree about Sela! You're right about the series tackling these varied relationships. I hadn't thought of it this way.

message 49: by Talya (last edited Mar 16, 2011 02:27PM) (new)

Talya | 741 comments Mod
Perfect casting, now I can totally picture Roz! I love when I can cast and picture the leads in Nora's books, it adds so much to the experience. I have quite a few casted in my head already(especially guys), don't even get me started.

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Talya, you are not alone!

« previous 1