Audiobooks discussion

Book Talk > What do you do while listening to audiobooks?

Comments Showing 551-600 of 711 (711 new)    post a comment »

message 551: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 1410 comments Yes, great feature. I'm afraid having to go to sleep without my audiobook... like a kid without his teddy!

message 552: by Siham (new)

Siham (sihamwh) | 1 comments Doing house chores (cooking, ironing, grocery shopping,...), on public transportation (the perfect noise canceler) and often while running, cycling or walking. I've replaced a big chunk of my music-listening-time with audio-book-time.

message 553: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 474 comments Specs - Hadn't thought of my audiobook
as a teddy but that's how it is. For a while I could put it on a one hour timer to stop. Now I wake up when it stops!

message 554: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 28 comments Germany wrote: "Oh my!! I listen to audiobooks all of time when I'm not working. I can do a variety of tasks: knitting, cleaning, baking, cooking, folding laundry, driving, grocery shopping, etc. I start from the ..."

where do you get your podcasts?

message 555: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 1410 comments Margaret wrote: "Specs - Hadn't thought of my audiobook
as a teddy but that's how it is. For a while I could put it on a one hour timer to stop. Now I wake up when it stops!"

Oh, now it's costing you your precious sleep... but I love the fact I don't bother being awake and just relax.

I feel I had a better rest when waking up in the morning because of it.

message 556: by Karen (new)

Karen (kvelthaus) | 9 comments I garden, drive, cross stitch, knit, sometimes cook when I am not disturbed.

Karen

message 557: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments HOLIDAY IN DEATH by J. D. Robb

message 558: by John (new)

John (jrd1st) I try to concentrate on the book. :)

message 559: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 1410 comments Nice one, John.
I don't know about having a holiday in death though, Mara, while listening to an audio.

message 560: by Persis (new)

Persis Menon | 30 comments I would be lost without my audio book in my ear! I do absolutely everything while listening to my book. Yes I do read while sleeping too! I work, cook, clean, and do the laundry while reading. I especially look forward to long drives and traveling so I could have long uninterrupted periods to read.

message 561: by Adrian (new)

Adrian (ace-geek) | 52 comments John wrote: "I try to concentrate on the book. :)"

Me, too. It's not strange to do nothing while reading a paperback, so I don't feel strange for just sitting somewhere comfortable and listening.

message 562: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4684 comments Usually, it's hard for me to just to sit there and do nothing except listen during the day. However, I do listen to books at bedtime.

message 563: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Johnson (kenyagjohnson) | 2 comments I've added a comment here before. I thought I'd chime in again. I've started putting puzzles together. Yesterday I put a 500 piece puzzle together in five hours while listening to an audiobook.

message 564: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 1410 comments O that sounds like bliss, Kenya!
When I was young I used to love making a puzzle (1000 or more pieces) while listening to my favorite music.
As a family we also made puzzles while listening to a comedian.

John, I love to just sit and look around at my garden while listening.

message 565: by [deleted user] (new)

That puzzle idea is a great one! Someday...

Typically, I exercise or clean house or drive. I do all longer if I have an audiobook going. I don't sit and just listen either. For sitting, I read the Kindle.

message 566: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 4 comments Besides cleaning and playing games on my phone, I love printing and coloring Adult Coloring Pages. ^_^

http://www.coloring-pages-adults.com/

message 567: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 670 comments Electric wrote: "Besides cleaning and playing games on my phone, I love printing and coloring Adult Coloring Pages. ^_^

http://www.coloring-pages-adults.com/"

Great link -- thanks!

message 568: by Anne (new)

Anne Wi | 15 comments Ed wrote: "I'm amazed when I hear people can concentrate and shop while listening to audiobooks? How do people do that. I have found that listening to audiobooks has been a great boost/incentive for long walk..."

I mostly listen to aludiobooks while I am working. It is amazing how many I have already listened to.

message 569: by Gibsonj338 (last edited Feb 11, 2017 09:52PM) (new)

Gibsonj338 | 1 comments The only time I listen to an audiobook is when I am reading the book. If I listen to an audiobook by itself, I more than likely will start daydreaming and miss out on the story. I like getting my audiobooks on compact disc, mp3, and Playaway. I can go to any public library in the county I live in and the two adjacent counties to the county I live in and pick up the audiobook I want to read or go to library2go or cloud library and download audiobooks as well as ebooks.

message 570: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 53 comments Walk my puppy and work out. Sometimes I shut my eyes while lying down to immerse myself in the world though.

message 571: by Mitch (new)

Mitch Dowell (goodreadscommitchdowell) | 4 comments Mostly while driving or on business trips.

message 572: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 1410 comments Yesterday walking in the snow here close to home while listening.

message 573: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments I listen while I walk, work on my computer, or just listen because I choose no to watch TV.

message 574: by Manda (new)

Manda (manda-jane) | 789 comments Specs wrote: "Yesterday walking in the snow here close to home while listening."

Oh wow how awesome!

message 575: by Myles (new)

Myles (mtlewando) | 14 comments I walk everywhere (to and from work, town, etc.), so I have plenty of audiobook time.

At home, I mostly just close my eyes and listen. If my eyes are open, I find I need to do something with my hands and eyes so I tend to play fairly casual video / mobile games. Anything requiring reading or thought above a certain threshold means I have to rewind (and sometimes, rewind and rewind and rewind...).

message 576: by Craig (new)

Craig | 35 comments I drive to and from work or do house work.

message 577: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I listen while walking the dog (he gets long walks so that I can finish the chapter), cooking, folding laundry, cleaning and driving.

message 578: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (thomassean) | 1 comments I listen at work, it helps me stay focused.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 152 comments Usually I listen at work - makes the day go by faster

message 580: by Mary (new)

Mary (marycastillo) | 17 comments I like to knit or go for a walk. I tend to get some good listening in while I drive to client meetings or run errands. I actually look forward to longer drives, especially when the book is good!

message 581: by Janna (new)

Janna (MissTell) | 2 comments I listen while I work. Am a lorrydriver and find on longer trips that time passes faster when I listen to book than when I listen to music. Also when I cook sometimes but other than that I prefer to do my reading actually reading.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) I also listen while I work. I am in a couple of hours earlier than everyone else in the morning and listen while I am balancing the previous days takings and setting up the tills for the day. I listen while I mow the lawns, and do the housework. I listen while I am out walking.
I can't listen while I am on GR because I get so caught up in what I am reading from everyone else, that I miss listening to big chunks......

message 583: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sophiesworld) | 31 comments Sometimes just lie in bed and listen to them and that's it.
Other times, play a game on my phone, tidy bits up etc. Depends how much concentration that particular book needs or the style of writing or how quick or slow moving it is.

message 584: by Abby (new)

Abby Goldsmith (abby_goldsmith) | 6 comments I love these answers.

For me, audiobooks help me maximize my time, so I don't just sit and listen. I exercise or hike, do house chores, and listen during parts of my job that require less brain activity. Audiobooks are also good for commuting and road trips.

message 585: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 17 comments In the summer, I listen while I weed and pick vegetables. I usually do that about 8 hours a day, so the audiobooks certainly help what is a mind- numbingly boring job without them. I even got my husband listening to them, while doing the same thing. He was a person who would only read about a book a year. Now he reads lots, in the summer at least.

message 586: by Carol (new)

Carol Jensen (carol07) I can't do certain things that require a lot of attention, while listening to audio books. I usually listen while driving around on my countless errands around town. Also, at the end of the day, I like to relax by playing video games on the computer. I can focus on the story, while playing these mindless video games. (But not Words with Friends...)

message 587: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 21 comments I only listen while in the car. I get my audiobooks the old-fashioned way: I reserve the actual discs at the library and play them in my C.D. player in the car. One of these days, I'll start downloading them on my phone or iPad!

message 588: by Rabid Reader (new)

Rabid Reader | 61 comments I listen in the car, while cleaning house, doing barn chores, gardening, exercising..... pretty much when ever I have chance

message 589: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 339 comments Piper wrote: "I only listen while in the car. I get my audiobooks the old-fashioned way: I reserve the actual discs at the library and play them in my C.D. player in the car. One of these days, I'll start downlo..."

Piper, I bet once you start downloading to your phone or other device, you'll wonder how you got along with listening only in your car :)

message 590: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1917 comments And downloading is not hard. I stuck with cassette tapes way too long because I thought I would have to be a techie to download or use digital. But there's really nothing to it these days. Personally, CDs were my least favorite medium as they are bulky and you can't keep your place when going from car to house. Even with cassettes I already listened while exercising, doing housework, etc. as well as driving.

message 591: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4684 comments I went straight from tapes to downloading as I've never owned an actual CD player.

message 592: by Piper (new)

Piper Templeton (pipertempleton) | 21 comments I'll take the plunge one of these days!

message 593: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Jaime (cmmjaime) | 30 comments I listen to audio books as often as possible - particularly while driving or doing housework. I introduced my Mom to audio books recently when we were traveling - we listened to four 12-hour books on our recent road trip (which is indicative both of how much driving we did and how much my Mom enjoyed the experience).

message 594: by Terrence (new)

Terrence (grnkrby) | 53 comments I tried playing an online game while listening to a Text To Speech of a light novel. Not successful. Back to shutting my eyes while I listen or working out.

message 595: by Shilo (new)

Shilo Bartlett | 14 comments I walk a lot! I go for long walks most days with my dog, about four miles a day, through our local natural park, and I am in heaven! it's my meditation, my relaxation, my favorite time of day! With the new technology (iPhones), it's so easy to stop and start the narration when necessary, to talk to people I run into, or whatever. Additionally, I stay very fit. I'm an audiobook addict! I also listen when driving.

message 596: by lateef523 (new)

lateef523 | 4 comments Hey, all! Just letting those who love listening to audiobook know that I've started my own youtube channel where I tell my own stories through the use of audio. Have a listen if you like!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtFP...

message 597: by Q (last edited Apr 04, 2017 01:51AM) (new)

Q | 2 comments Anything from listen while laying in bed in the dark while hubby sleeps, doing dishes, driving (and when the kiddos are in the car we listen to one as a family so I squeezed more in with them and great to keep them from fighting during long drives), walking, laundry or just when I'm somewhere with lots of people and it would be impolite/awkward to pull out a book. Or is it just me who has family that think your crazy if you read a book but they'll all be crowded around the tv or sitting there and no ones talking while they each entertain themselves with their phones? But I'm the strange one for puling out a book? hmmmm..... anyway it can be better if everyone just thinks I'm playing something on my phone which sometimes I do a puzzle or bejeweled or something like that.

message 598: by Q (new)

Q | 2 comments Bobby wrote: "Like a lot of people it seems, while driving and cleaning. Unexpectedly like several people, I also fall asleep a lot to audiobooks. They quiet all the other voices in my head."

Yeah keeps my brains from spinning outta control. And sometimes the voice is so soothing it actually helps me fall asleep.

message 599: by brenda (new)

brenda johnson (xebux) | 7 comments Mostly while driving, sometimes taking a bath or at work while typing

message 600: by Meena (new)

Meena Lewellen | 3 comments I listen to books while driving, clean house, making dinner, grocery shopping and more. I can't listen while I am working since I have to have my own thought then. There are a few books I have listen to a few times (almost anything read by Tim Gerald Reynold) that I will re-listen to when I do things that require more attention.
Funny story about listen and grocery shopping; I was l shopping listing to book 5 of GOT and it was dragging on an on. (Spoiler but you most likely know) Then they kill Jon Snow as I an reaching for something and I gasp aloud. The lady next to me and asked if I was ok. Oops