Audiobooks discussion

Book Talk > What do you do while listening to audiobooks?

Comments Showing 501-550 of 711 (711 new)    post a comment »

message 501: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Booth (boothacus) Jeffrey wrote: "I had a boss when I worked for AT&T who had a commute of more than 90 miles each way back in 1988. I never understood how she could do that every day. Maybe she listened to Books-on-Tape back then...."

I used to listen to books on tape in the late 80s and 90s. There certainly wasn't a lot and a lot of it was abridged (a pet peeve).

Thank goodness that digital books have taken off so!

message 502: by Robin (new)

Robin | 1917 comments Sarah wrote: "Jeffrey wrote: "I had a boss when I worked for AT&T who had a commute of more than 90 miles each way back in 1988. I never understood how she could do that every day. Maybe she listened to Books-on..."

Yes! even libraries had abridged books. I used to lecture them on how wrong that was! I believe the thought was that people who listened to audiobooks didn't really like to read, or had very little time to read. A lot of the early books were business or self-help.

message 503: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Johnson (kenyagjohnson) | 2 comments I mostly "do stuff", so listening definitely keeps me active. Yesterday I listened to an entire audiobook while I prepped and painted a small room.

message 504: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1078 comments Kenya wrote: "I mostly "do stuff", so listening definitely keeps me active. Yesterday I listened to an entire audiobook while I prepped and painted a small room."

I did the same thing this weekend while painting the bedroom. I didn't finish the book but I made a dent in the 45 hours it takes to listen to the latest in the Outlander series, Written in My Own Heart's Blood.

message 505: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments Play on the computer.

message 506: by Antonio (new)

Antonio | 15 comments My friends laugh at how I burn through audiobooks. I listen while I'm working, hitting the gym, while I'm gaming on my pc, driving, and when I go to bed. :)

message 507: by Lori (new)

Lori Edmondson | 11 comments I listen to them at work, I spend around 10 hours a shift driving, and I do shift work so it helps keep my mind active when I'm on night shift. I listen more on night shift than days as nights are usually much more quiet. I can get through around 8 - 10 hours of a book a night

message 508: by Nospin (new)

Nospin | 246 comments Julesy wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I used my Kinivo Bluetooth headphones daily for over 2 years before the sound started cutting in and out of one earphone. I just splurged on the newer model ($30), and I am once aga..."

I liked the Kinivo when I first got them but the ear coverings bother me now.

Please share your experience with your new BT phones

message 509: by Erika (new)

Erika | 1 comments I listen in the car while I'm driving, during breaks at work, at various times during the evening. Pretty much whenever.

message 510: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments Check email, listen to books, plays games or check out something that interests me. I can't listen to books on my iPod because the volume button got broken so I can't control the volume on my iPod to listen to my audiobooks.

message 511: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 38 comments It took me awhile to get into listening to audiobooks, but now I love listening to them when I go for a daily walk. Also, have been listening more when I drive. My son broke his leg & am driving him back & forth to school every day which is 30 minutes from our home. I don't listen when he is with me, however. I should find something we would both like while we're in this time. Thanks for the tip on using bluetooth headphones! I had not thought of that; have tried listening while cooking before, but was always getting the cord tangled up in something.

message 512: by Shane (new)

Shane Phillips | 108 comments Walking doing Munzee.com

message 513: by Robes (new)

Robes Pierre (robespierre) | 2 comments I'm addicted, and a classic insomniac.... Every night have one on on timer till I sleep. I've burned through over 1500 titles now....couldn't believe it when I checked how many I've actually read....listened to.

message 514: by Mikana (new)

Mikana | 10 comments I'm only listening in the car for now, but I plan on getting a kindle fire for my birthday next month, so hopefully i can hook that up to the stereo and listen whilst I clean - rat cage, dishes, house, theres always something needing cleaning.

message 515: by Marcel (new)

Marcel (madjo) | 36 comments While I'm working, I often also am listening to audiobooks, I also listen during my commute or during cooking.
As long as it's a task that doesn't tax my brain too much, I can multitask it quite well. Sometimes missing maybe a minute or so, but a quick press backwards on my remote, and I'm up to speed again.

Writing comments/articles and listening isn't something that I can do at the same time, so I often press "Pause" when I have to type a comment/article, but reading and listening for some reason I can.
Not reading books, mind you, but reading the output of my tests (I'm a software tester) or checking the dataflows in systems I'm working on.
Though, come to think of it, writing computer code and listening to audiobooks often go well together for me.

Not native speaking English.

message 516: by javadiva (new)

javadiva | 10 comments I listen at work while I'm shelving books & reading the shelves.
Also while I'm sewing or doing other crafty things. If it's really good, then in the car, during my son's piano lessons & while I'm washing dishes.

message 517: by Arlene (new)

Arlene (locpressedbooks) | 9 comments I normally cook while listening to audio books. But I have also gone and do daily errands (while driving) and even fold my laundry.

Anything more and I don't think I would be able to sit and actually pay attention to what I am hearing.

message 518: by Malyix0013 (new)

Malyix0013 | 5 comments I am usually driving, because I have a long commute to and from work. If it's a particularly good book, I'll listen to it when I'm driving at other times. Occasionally I'll listen to one while cleaning.

message 519: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1078 comments This will be a morbid post. I read a story that detailed the events of a young man in a coma who had recently regained consciousness. He claimed he could hear everything that was going on while he was "awake". So I made my family promise that, God-forbid I should ever be in a coma, to put my headphones on me and play my audiobooks for me (another reason to keep the wishlist stocked). Rotate that with my Pandora channel and actually reading physical books to me. Told you it would be morbid.

message 520: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1078 comments *Smile* spooky, truly voices from the grave.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 152 comments I work from home so I listen while working

message 522: by Margo (new)

Margo | 2305 comments Julie wrote: "Yep, and I'm such a YAKKER , I'll probably still be talking too . My "neighbors" will be wishing they could move.

Sorry, they will be a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE . :)"

Grumpus I can identify with, Julie - a step too far LOL

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 152 comments Julie wrote: "I've got one more morbid than that. I want to be buried with my iPod. Headphones in. I asked my husband to please put a solar panel on top of my gravestone to keep the iPod powered up and playing n..."

LOL I love it

message 524: by Powder River Rose (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 282 comments Grumpus wrote: "This will be a morbid post. I read a story that detailed the events of a young man in a coma who had recently regained consciousness. He claimed he could hear everything that was going on while he ..."

No Grumpus that is not morbid at all and the hearing while in a coma is quite true, I don't know if everyone hears but many do. I really like your idea. I'll have to remember to tell my family and friends....not that I don't want to listen to them, of course....hehehehe

message 525: by Powder River Rose (last edited Dec 29, 2015 10:08AM) (new)

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 282 comments Julie wrote: "Yep, and I'm such a YAKKER , I'll probably still be talking too . My "neighbors" will be wishing they could move.

Sorry, they will be a CAPTIVE AUDIENCE . :)"

What if the sun is behind clouds all Winter long....OMGosh you'll be talking to your grave neighbors.....hahahaha

hehehehe....if you are in my room I will wake up long enough to have them put duck tape across your mouth....no talking hehehehehe

message 526: by Sara (new)

Sara | 214 comments Julie wrote: "I've got one more morbid than that. I want to be buried with my iPod. Headphones in. I asked my husband to please put a solar panel on top of my gravestone to keep the iPod powered up and playing n..."

Haha...that's exactly what I asked my husband to do after my death! What can I say "so many great books but such little time"

message 527: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (msdesdemona) I listen to audiobooks while I'm at work. Since I work between 8 to 10 hours a day, listening to the books allows me to relax while working cases.

message 528: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 107 comments Melissa wrote: "I listen to audiobooks while I'm at work. Since I work between 8 to 10 hours a day, listening to the books allows me to relax while working cases."

I try to listen at work as well when I don't have too many meetings. Later in the work day, when most of the people have already left (I work later hours than most of my co-workers), I like to put on my headphones and listen to an audio if the work I'm doing is monkey work and does not require extensive concentration.

message 529: by Linda (new)

Linda | 364 comments Grumpus wrote: "This will be a morbid post. I read a story that detailed the events of a young man in a coma who had recently regained consciousness. He claimed he could hear everything that was going on while he was "awake". So I made my family promise that, God-forbid I should ever be in a coma, to put my headphones on me and play my audiobooks for me (another reason to keep the wishlist stocked)."

Morbid, but a good tip all the same, Grumpus. I'll have to tell my family the same thing.

message 530: by Germany (new)

Germany | 1 comments Oh my!! I listen to audiobooks all of time when I'm not working. I can do a variety of tasks: knitting, cleaning, baking, cooking, folding laundry, driving, grocery shopping, etc. I start from the moment I open my eyes until I go to sleep. I use podcasts for sleeping. I'm a military wife and teacher so I have plenty of spare time. During vacations I can get in a book a day.

message 531: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 219 comments I am usually cross stitching; or walking to work

message 532: by Simona (new)

Simona Nielsen | 64 comments I listen during work hours - probably 5 out of 7 work hours. I work alone most of the time, so it's just perfect! :-)

message 533: by Tina (new)

Tina Miller (ebrightwing) | 11 comments I am usually knitting or driving, but I often listen at my computer at work too.

message 534: by Marie (new)

Marie Oldham | 2 comments Has anyone succeeded in getting there children to listen in the car and other places ?

message 535: by V (new)

V | 128 comments Marie wrote: "Has anyone succeeded in getting there children to listen in the car and other places ?"

Yes I use them for bedtime for my 7yr old., she sees me listening to books so shes interested in it but only during bed, she still want to "read" her books.

message 536: by Karen (new)

Karen (kvelthaus) | 9 comments I am driving to work (1.5 hrs), cross stitching or needlepoint.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 152 comments I working

message 538: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 3435 comments V wrote: "Marie wrote: "Has anyone succeeded in getting there children to listen in the car and other places ?"

Yes I use them for bedtime for my 7yr old., she sees me listening to books so shes interested ..."

My kids like to listen to audiobooks during bath time.

message 539: by Elaine Cook (new)

Elaine Cook | 21 comments I started listening to audio books in 1987 and now I'm to the point that I eye read <1 / 20, usually at bedtime. I knit, walk the dog, do mind-numbing chores (though I can't read anything, so no e-mail, sorting papers, etc), while waiting, and on long car trips.

message 540: by Dantie (new)

Dantie (lotustraw) | 7 comments Walking home or do some laundry. Sometimes listen half a chapter(the real short ones) before I go to sleep

message 541: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 449 comments My kids enjoyed audiobooks in the car from a young age. I think I indoctrinated them early. I was always listening to something on long trips and they had the choice to join me or listen to music using headphones.

message 542: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (maxine_peters) | 28 comments My (now, adult) children grew up with books and still to this day love them. My daughter struggles to turn her brain off to listen to an audio book but my son devours them.

message 543: by Marie (new)

Marie Oldham | 2 comments I live in the UK and still buy audio books on CD, I'm running out of titles - any tips on where to buy or has everyone moved to digital downloading?

message 544: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 1 comments Drive

message 545: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4684 comments Maxine wrote: "My (now, adult) children grew up with books and still to this day love them. My daughter struggles to turn her brain off to listen to an audio book but my son devours them."

I can't just sit down and listen to a book as I would a print copy. For the most part, I listen when actual reading conditions are difficult or impossible: chores, crowded public transit (drowning out other peoples' conversations as a plus), etc.

message 546: by Sara (new)

Sara | 214 comments I have been listening to audiobooks well over 15 years now and I do all kind of house chores, cooking, laundry, gardening and of course driving to and from work.
But recently, I picked up knitting and crocheting and my listening time had doubled. Besides, I have many scarves. shawls, Baby blankets, booties & hats, etc... on my hand that I am selling it to raise money for Susan G. Coleman and Avon Breast Cancer walks.
Life couldn't get any better... I am doing all the things I enjoy most :0)

message 547: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 366 comments Work on the computer and listen to books while I walk around town.

message 548: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I'm 27 and I've only just discovered audiobooks. I started A Dance with Dragons. I've found myself having less time to sit down and read a physical book. I picked up the audiobook for it since 1000+ pages feels daunting with little to no free time. I'm starting to feel as though I've missed out on audiobooks after all these years because I can listen to it while driving or while prepping for work in the morning. I get an hour or so read just on the commute alone!

message 549: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1078 comments John wrote: "I can't just sit down and listen to a book as I would a print copy. For the most part, I listen when actual reading conditions are difficult or impossible: chores, crowded public transit (drowning out other peoples' conversations as a plus), etc. "

I am in total agreement with you John. I don't understand why it is, but it is.

message 550: by Manda (new)

Manda (manda-jane) | 789 comments Robes wrote: "I'm addicted, and a classic insomniac.... Every night have one on on timer till I sleep. I've burned through over 1500 titles now....couldn't believe it when I checked how many I've actually read....."

I use to get to sleep when stressed. Put on sleep timer and fall asleep to....