Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1) Gardens of the Moon discussion

Malazan books artwork

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Steve I was just wondering if there were any websites with some concept art for the malazan book series.
I loved some of the art by amok for the song of ice and fire series and was hoping there was something like it for the malazan books.

Victor Some editions feature covers designed by Todd Lockwood, who also designed some of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt covers. Alas, the Malazan covers don't seem to be featured on his website.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] He did the Malzaan covers for books 3-8 I believe. They used to be up on his site. Personally I think his covers are better then the UK ones, although that can start fights in certain circles. :P

Asgar There is quite a lot of fan art, Im not sure if you would like to take a gander, but it is as good as any concept art.
This amazing gallery: http://slaine69.deviantart.com/galler...
And this individual image: http://spin-drift.deviantart.com/gall...

Some of them are really quite amazing.

Shelley Bo wrote: "There is quite a lot of fan art, Im not sure if you would like to take a gander, but it is as good as any concept art.
This amazing gallery: http://slaine69.deviantart.com/galler...
And this ..."

Wow, this guy's stuff is amazing!!!!! Thanks Bo for the links!!

message 6: by Tomislav (new)

Tomislav I only found a couple of maps on google, thanks Bo!

C.E. Crowder Subterranean Press released a special illustrated edition. If you check Google Images (search "Gardens of the Moon") I think you'll find most of the artwork done for it. There's an image of the battle of Pale; half a Havelock; Quick Ben and Kalam; Raest fighting the dragons; some others. Pat's Fantasy Hotlist featured most of them.

Asgar In case anyone has not seen the new concept art for Deadhouse Gates' Subterranean Press edition: http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merc...

message 9: by Shelley (last edited Feb 16, 2012 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelley Wow!! Those are lovely pictures!!! :) Glad to see artist loving SE's work too! :) The flies picture is amazing! Thanks Bo for posting that link!! :)

Asgar I particularly love the depiction of the Tlan Imass dragon in the warren of Chaos, the Warren portal looks uncannily similar to a worm-hole. But maybe that's just me trying to relate astronomy to fantasy again...

That scene, with Gesler and Stormy, was my favorite scenario in Deadhouse Gates. :D

Razmatus btw could somebody pls tell me what is depicted on the cover of Gardens of the Moon, the paperback edition by Bantam? I cant decide but it looks to me like one of the buildings in Darujhistan, but im not sure :P

Shelley Razmatus wrote: "btw could somebody pls tell me what is depicted on the cover of Gardens of the Moon, the paperback edition by Bantam? I cant decide but it looks to me like one of the buildings in Darujhistan, but ..."

I think it's Pale...

Razmatus could be... btw could Gardens of the Moon mean sth like... Moon's Spawn over Darujihstan? kinda :)?

Shelley Yep, you got mostly the right of it!! But also think of Sorry telling Crokus the story of the Moon Godness! :P

Razmatus gardens near D'Arle estate, Moon's Spawn over Darujhistan... and yea I found the reference you mentioned about the Goddess - the story being another neat point hinting at a desire for peace :)

Shelley Yes I know it sounds funny but that is at the heart of this series...peace!

I will also say this to you Razmatus, everything, EVERYTHING is hiding right there in the title, "The Malazan Book of the Fallen"...

Razmatus yep I could guess the message is against war - some things Tool says speak very clearly about that :P... as for the title of the series, it is hinted in this very first book as well - endless war leads to a demise, so as Malazan empire with its methods, well, I can guess that empire will go to hell sooner or later :P

Eko Prasetyo Malazan Book of The Fallen (or how you write thirty pile thanatos gambit right)

Shelley Razmatus wrote: "yep I could guess the message is against war - some things Tool says speak very clearly about that :P... as for the title of the series, it is hinted in this very first book as well - endless war l..."

Honestly, not even close. Which is understandable being that you're only in Gardens! :)

message 20: by Jan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan Kjellin Leonard Savage has imo created a couple of stylish images that are inspired by Erikson's novels.