Students of the Restored Gospel discussion

Book Discussions > Jesus the Christ Discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments How are we going on Jesus the Christ? Ive set up this discussion folder for those who might have something to say while they are reading the book. Its very full of information and might be hard to remember the things you wanted to say when you are done. If anyone wants to, you can post as you read and we can discuss. I hope all who are reading it are enjoying it. Ive already learned many things I didn't know before.

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy I'm really liking it. I'm about 450 pages in (I just finished ch 26). I've found it pretty much fascinating and have learned so much.

My favorite chapter was the one where he broke down information about the apostles. I have never really thought about the apostles (especially while Christ was alive) as distinct people.

My favorite quote (to date - I've had several favorites):

"Doubtless priest as well as Levite salved his conscience with ample excuse for his inhumane conduct; he may have been in a hurry, or was fearful, perhaps that the robbers would return and make him also a victim of their outrage. Excuses are easy to find; they spring up as readily and plentifully as weeds by the wayside. When the Samaritan came along and saw the wretched state of the wounded man, he had no excuse for he wanted none." (p 431-432, talking about the Good Samaritan)

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I'm still struggling along. Wow, this is a big book!

message 4: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments Mod
Katy wrote: "I'm really liking it. I'm about 450 pages in (I just finished ch 26). I've found it pretty much fascinating and have learned so much.

My favorite chapter was the one where he broke down informatio..."

That is a really good quote, Katy. We can totally apply that to our lives today!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments What I have loved about it is the way it is organized, taking the events in the Savior's life in a sort of chronological order. It helps me to kind of place everything, by knowing how all these places and events relate to one another.

message 6: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments I am really enjoying it, but it is a slow read so I am glad we are taking 2 months. Sometimes I just have to stop for a while as I contemplate what I have read. I like the way you can see how his life was and what he did. I think it the way it is written leads us to think how we can be more like him. It also makes me stop and think about my reactions to things and if it worth the worry or should I re-focus where I should.

message 7: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments So far chapter 26 is my favorite. I had to re-read parts as I was thinking so hard on what I was reading. I love the way this is written. It is deep but understandable at the same time. I have learned so much from my reading of this book.

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments I love this book! Im so glad we picked it and I actually made myself read it. After the first few chapters it was easy to get into. Im on chapter 19 and I have already learned so much I didnt know! Good job to those who are reading it and if youre not, its not too late to start:)

message 9: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments I just finished. Awsome does not even come close to how great this book was. I had started it several times before, but it was great to read it with the group.

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments You are ahead of me! I still have several chapters left.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments Mod
I am still plugging away as well. A nice slow and steady tortoise pace :). It is amazing, as everyone has said.

message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy I finished late last week. I'm so glad this book was chosen! It is pretty amazing. I'm also glad we were given 2 full months to read it - it's meaty!

Great choice.

message 13: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Sagers | 13 comments Are we doing a new book next month or we going to continue this one?

message 14: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments I think since only a couple people that I know of have finished the book, we'll keep chuggin along on this one. If there are any strong objections then let me know. Im just over half way through and would really like to finish it. I think others would as well. Good job to Katy and Tricia! Youre amazing:)

message 15: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmbohn) | 40 comments I put the book away for a while, but now I've picked it up again. I think I just didn't want to read about the Atonement and the Crucifixion, because they are so emotional. But now I only have 3 chapters left to go!

I kind of feel like I've been reading this forever, but I really have enjoyed it. Just last night I was reading the part about the Savior's visit to the Nephites and the sacrament, and it was some great insight into the ordinance.

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments YAY!!! I finished it!! This was hands down the most rewarding book Ive ever read. I learned so much! If I didnt have a baby on my lap right now Id write some of my favorite quotes. Maybe later. Congrats to all who finished. It is an accomplishment!

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily | 31 comments Mod
I'm half way through! Keep on going, keep on going!

message 18: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 35 comments You can do it!