Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Bookfestivals

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Texas Book Festival. Mark your calendars - Oct 31/Nov 1 in Austin. Sure to have another great lineup.

I so want to be in Austin then. I am really thinking about it.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
OH come come come!!! I missed it last year but I think im going this year.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli How far away is Austin from Houston?

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am thinking it is only about a 3 hour car ride. Is that right Tera? My boys live in Houston.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Austin may be closer to 3 1/2 to 4 hours. ? When we were in TX, we were 45 minutes west of Houston in Brookshire and Tera said she was about an hour outside of Austin which made us about 1 1/2 hours from her. My inlaws (bro & sis) live in Austin and they said it was about a 3 hour or so drive from where we were in Brookshire to where they lived. There's an airport in Austin as well as Houston.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
yeah its about 3 hours. Plane is super quick and tickets are really cheap between Houston and Austin. Girls Weekend?!? We could all stay at my house. Halloween in downtown Austin could be very very fun. Great weather that time of year and books.
*tempting you tempting you tempting you*

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I would so love this!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) OOOOOOOO!!! I'm tempted Tera, I'm tempted!

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Dates
Saturday, April 25
10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
LA Book Fair going on now!

Sunday, April 26
10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
405 Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I just got an alert about this one:

Festival of Mystery
Oakmont, PA
May 4, 2009
http://www.mysterylovers.com

message 11: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm thinking in the future we should schedule our CoL trip around a town with a killer book festival.

message 12: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Apr 23, 2009 10:35AM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Here is a link to the festival http://www.texasbookfestival.org/inde... like I said I nearly went last year but got too crazy busy. I know its a big thing right at the Capitol with book signings, food, art and panel discussions. In the past Laura Bush, Clinton and Obama have all given the kick off opener of the festival. The best part is so much of it is free.

They don't usually list their line up until a month or two before but they usually have tons of different authors.

message 13: by LinBee (new)

LinBee You guys are making me wish I lived in Texas just so that I could join the fun! Oh well.

message 14: by Holli (new)

Holli I was thinking I could combine my trip to Houston to see my friend with the book festival too.....

I don't know though since Charleston is only 2 weeks before Halloween...might be too close. I should probably just stick with Houston in June or July.... :)

message 15: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Houston in July?!?! thats like planning a picnic in hell.

message 16: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Or we could order fried Holli

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Yeah, TX in the Summer is brutal! Holli, you should be careful health wise because it's that extreme. Our nephew has already told me it wouldn't be good for me to go out & visit when their baby's born in July because of the heat & humidity - he knows how much extreme temps (hot or cold) affect my health. If you go then, pls be very careful!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) And Tera, that's a GREAT idea for CoL annual weekend!

message 19: by Holli (new)

Holli I'll be ok....but thanks guys!! Humidity doesn't bother me and if I get too hot I sit inside.... :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wow, that sounds great too Kelly Jo!

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie okay what is a book festival? I'm going to be in Austin in May, but not October :(

message 22: by Erika (new)

Erika Mary Jo I would absolutely love to go to the Ann Arbor book festival! I'm only about 45 minutes away - now I'm off to research details! Thanks!

message 23: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Apr 24, 2009 07:55AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Here's the link for the NYC book festival: http://www.newyorkbookfestival.com/ They are calling for 2009 entries so the specifics of when & where for 2009 haven't been posted yet. It's usually on a Saturday in late June, but bookfestival.org is saying Sat June 6 which I hope it's not because we'll be away on vacation!

Philadelphia had a free library festival in April, http://libwww.freelibrary.org/bookfes... . I wish I'd known, I love Philly!

CHECK OUT THIS LINK: http://www.loc.gov/loc/cfbook/bookfai... It has links for fairs & festivals around the country! AND: http://bookfestivals.com/PORTAL/ and http://www.booktour.com/readers

message 24: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments There is the mystery one coming up JO, check it out in PA.

message 25: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Apr 24, 2009 08:04AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That could be fun though I'm not into mysteries. My Aunt is tho... Oh dear, it's on Mom's bday, that's a no go, lol!

message 26: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments oh, i would love to go to the mystery one! too far from Nevada though...

Elizabeth (Alaska) I haven't ever been to one, so I'll ask about these too. I do seem to remember seeing something on C-Span years ago that must have been a book festival/fair, though. Are they sort of like any other industry fair where people can hawk their wares? There are electronics shows, for instance, where different manufacturers display their new stuff. Would a book fair be similar where there are booths with books, publishers, and authors?.

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I have been to the one in NYC. There are many authors who go, especially ones that have come out with a new book recently. There are many activities around the books (sometimes luncheons etc) It is a lot of fun with the emphasis on celebrating books.

message 29: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments So when is it? We can meet!

message 30: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Apr 27, 2009 08:05AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) They haven't officially announced the date for the NYC book festival - the awards ceremony is on Fri June 5, so I'm assuming what I read on bookfestivals.org is correct, that the NYC date is Sat 6/6. It's normally the last Sat in June. The schedule hasn't been updated as of yet and still has the info for 2008.

We're supposed to leave for Gettysburg on Sat 6/6. Perhaps we can leave on Sunday instead. I'll have to check with Hubby and see since we're also supposed to go to DC all in the same week. If it starts early enough in the day on Sat, I could run up to NYC first then we could leave for Gettysburg in the afternoon...

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) If the NYC festival is indeed Sat 6/6, we're now not leaving for Gettysburg until Sun 6/7 so look out Manhattan, I'm coming back! (lol)

message 32: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Ooooo maybe I can swing a weekend in NYC then.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Woohoo! We (or I) will be heading there for the day that Saturday.

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli I'm thinking that next year's CoL trip may need to include one of these festivals!!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Wouldn't that be a great time?! Why didn't we think of this before setting up this year's CoL trip?! lol!

message 36: by Holli (new)

Holli We did but for the first CoL girl's weekend most people wanted to keep it low key and just hang out and get to know each other....so next year this would be perfect!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Shows you how good my memory is, lol! I swear I've got that of a peanut instead of an elephant!

message 38: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Jo, let's do a we, the guys can go get a drink if they aren't into it!

message 39: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Oh I wish I could go! i would love to go to NYC and especially to an NYC book festival!

message 40: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Well, come! We can be book festival jet setters!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Meg wrote: "Jo, let's do a we, the guys can go get a drink if they aren't into it!"

Sounds good to me! Vic may be into it but that will wear off pretty quick, now going for a drink on the other hand, he's always up for that! lol

message 42: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited May 01, 2009 06:55PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera wrote: "Oh I wish I could go! i would love to go to NYC and especially to an NYC book festival!"

I wish you could come! I know you're so busy- Maybe next year?

message 43: by Holli (new)

Holli Could be a thought for next year's destination maybe?? ;)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's an idea - would take a lot of looking into because of cost. If we don't stay in the city, there's the cost of getting into the city, etc.. But I love the idea - completely different than going to SC this year!

message 45: by Holli (new)

Holli Sounds fun!

message 46: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments NYC would be a blast.

Jo is it definite that it is 6/6?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Meg, the website still hasn't updated anything besides the awards ceremony on Fri 6/5- I'll keep checking & post the date asap!

message 48: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Great! I hope we can do this.