Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

"literary awards" auto-applying to all editions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 48 comments It would be nice if information entered in the "literary award" field would automatically apply itself to all editions. Many books that have won awards have oodles of different editions, and keeping an eye on every edition of each book that has won an award is a huge task.

I'm not sure if this would cause any potential problems. The only one I can foresee is that it could cause trouble if other titles were incorrectly merged into the book with the award.

message 2: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Hi Angel,

Actually, it should already be doing that! Let us know more specifically if you've found it not working.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41078 comments Mod
Yay! When did that get updated?

*goes off to edit books*

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 48 comments Hm, so it does! A few days ago, I was going down the list of Newberry Award books, adding that info to each book that had won the award, and I noticed that other editions weren't showing the award that I had just typed in. It may have been that it takes a few minutes to apply to all of them, or it may have been that I was looking at cached versions of the books, or it may just have been that it was 5am and I was seeing things...

I just looked back at a bunch of the books that I edited that day, and it does show that all editions are updated with the information. Awesome, thank you!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Or it may just be that you were doing it before Otis & crew had a chance to update that. I was waiting too, so I appreciate your thread -- this way I found out that it had been done. :)

I had fun adding awards to lots of books last night. But there are plenty more to do, and I'm afraid I wasn't terribly methodical about it.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant | 94 comments I just added the Hugo and Nebula award winners for SF - what other awards need adding? (I was going to look at the Booker winners too.)

message 7: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

You guys rock!

message 8: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 48 comments Ok, I think I found what I might have been seeing before. If you add a "Literary Award" to a book, it applies to all the editions that are currently combined with that book. However, if you combine more editions into that, those are not updated with the literary award.

An example of this is here. I finished adding the Newbery Medal to all applicable books this afternoon. I applied it to The Door in the Wall, and it copied to all of the editions of that book. You can see that here:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/72...

After a few minutes, I saw another edition of The Door in the Wall and combined it with the existing editions. You can see that one here, and you can see that it doesn't have the "Newbery Medal" in the literary awards field, even though it is combined with the other editions.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I'm betting this is a cache-updating issue, and should fix itself automagically after a day or three. Otis?

message 10: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

That makes sense - the hook to update all editions only occurs when updating a book. We'll have to add another hook to update things when merging editions.