Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Heath Ledger

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
So sad to hear of his passing. He was so incredible in Brokeback Mountain...he really had so much potential. :(

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments You're right, Ed. It's very sad and hard to explain. Certainly in terms of his career, he had his most conspicuous success ahead of him with the forthcoming Batman movie. Ledger could very easily have played on his pretty-boy image but chose to do much more challenging work than that. He was an exceptional actor, even in flawed films like "The Brothers Grimm."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep crying whenever he's mentioned. =( I can't believe he's gone. I've liked him for so long.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it's so awful. Heath was from my hometown in Australia, and as such is the only celebrity I have any kind of connection with (ie. I have friends who went to school with him, I know the area where his parents live, etc, because Perth is a really small city). I saw him this time last year, flying from Perth to LA. So weird to think that a year later he's dead.

He had so much ahead of him. My heart really goes out to his family, particularly his daughter Matilda.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) I never considered myself a big fan of his, but I always thought he was an excellent actor and respected the way he came at Hollywood, choosing to do quirky, challenging roles instead of continuing in teen heartthrob films. He had a lot of potential to grow as an actor, and I'm incredibly sad that we won't get to watch that. I'm so sorry both that his family lost him and that we as filmgoers lost such a talent.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen I was so saddened to hear of his death, such a young man. It looks as though he took his own life and that makes it even more sad. My heart goes out to his parents and siblings, I understand how they feel right now.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Jones (NickJones) | 7 comments With the news of Brad Renfro's death earlier this month and now Heath Ledgers, this has been a terrible start to the New Year for the film industry. I was sincerely shocked and saddened to hear about Heath's death yesterday. I have no idea what it'll be like to see him on screen when the next batman installment hits theaters

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I just recieved the news from my mother this morning. So shocking, so sad. The last movie I saw him in was "Brokeback Mountain. Didn't he have any movies lined up for this year? If so, who will they replace him with to play the character he was supposed to play?

message 9: by K (new)

K | 39 comments He will be Joker in the next Batman film - they finished filming.

Its huge news here in Australia.

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
Saw a past show of Charlie Rose and Heath was on it--he was discussing how he created the character, the dialect, etc of Ennis in Brokeback...what an incredible talent. I need to see some of his other films....really, really sad.

message 11: by Lilias (new)

Lilias I teared up at work today while reading an article about him. Even though I was completely shocked when I first heard about his death I didn't think I'd be so affected by it. But I'm just SAD about the whole thing. I hate it.
oh ENNIS.

message 12: by Tama (new)

Tama (anperneecate) My heart goes out to Heath's family....so tragic..

message 13: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments I've been home sick for a week (as you can tell by my numerous posts) so I watched a ton of movies. I had just finished watching Candy when I heard the news. It's one of my favorite Heath Ledger movies. So coincidental and sad.

By the way if you're bored today take the time to write to Fox and complain about their anchor John Gibson.

From Perez Hilton.com:
"Fox News Talk Network host John Gibson announced the sad and tragic death of actor Heath Ledger on Tuesday by mocking him and making light of his untimely passing."

Here's a rundown of what happened:

"Playing an audio clip of the iconic quote, 'I wish I knew how to quit you' from Ledger’s gay romance movie Brokeback Mountain, Gibson disdainfully quipped, 'Well, he found out how to quit you.' Laughing, Gibson then played another clip from Brokeback Mountain in which Ledger said, 'We’re dead,' followed by his own, mocking 'We’re dead' before playing the clip again.

Gibson called Ledger a "weirdo" with a "serious drug problem" and suggested that Ledger killed himself because he had "a serious position in the (stock) market" or perhaps "watched the Clinton-Obama debate last night. I think he was an Edwards guy, cause he saw his Edwards guy was just completely irrelevant.

Feel free to email john.gibson@foxnews.com and let him directly know your thoughts!
You can also email his show at myword@foxnews.com and the network at yourcomments@foxnews.com.
And, if you wanna email the CEO of Fox News, his info is roger.ailes@foxnews.com."

http://perezhilton.com/page/2/

message 14: by Russell (new)

Russell | 2 comments Jesus, what a jerk (Gibson, not Heath, obviously). This really is sad. Like others have said, Ledger obviously had the chops to become huge, and could have taken the easy road with star-building roles, but instead challenged himself. I thought he was great in Knight's Tale, too. But Brokeback was brilliant. He nailed the taciturn, stoic cowboy.

message 15: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (NathanHeller) | 1 comments Christ, who is John Gibson? I'm so glad I don't watch FOX. But I will certainly add my thoughts in an email.

I, too, was saddened by the death of Heath Ledger, which kind of surprised me. I'm normally unmoved by the passing of celebrities of any type. But I was so profoundly moved by his performance in Brokeback Mountain that I really had come to expect fantastic things from him. In reading that short story, Jack was my favorite character and I almost kind of hated Ennis. After seeing the movie, I came away thinking things like, "Wow, Ennis was in a lot of pain" and "Ennis may have loved Jack even more than Jack loved him..." That performance was just so strong, so subtle, so perfect and so goddamn spot-on. I have known that guy. Ledger pulled it off without ever once falling back on a cliche. Totally believable performance, and I can't wait to see what he does with The Joker.

NC

message 16: by Nereyda (new)

Nereyda | 4 comments He stole my heart ages ago in "10 things i hate about you" (the ultimate teenager's movie), i think he was a good actor. I just saw "I'm not there" and that movie confirms my affirmation (eventhough Cate Blanchet outshines everyone).

It's sad, i think he had a good future.

message 17: by Saba (new)

Saba (saba7036) | 3 comments I was really shocked to see the news on internet...He was a very good actor ...God bless his soul!

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Nicole, you're so right, this is horrible, we should do our part and write to Fox. I doubt they'll listen, but we still need to do our part and hope for the best. Here's a link to a YouTube of Keith Olbermann giving his Worst Person in the World.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOZUHt...

One is Best Buy for exploiting Ledger's death with a display of his movies (done in a bad way), the other is John Gibson. I'm apalled at both of them. While writing to Fox I think we should also write to Best Buy.

Melissa, I know what you mean about releasing the movie, I had the same thought yesterday when seeing another countless promotion of the movie. You know that they'll release it and it will be Ledger's death that gets the majority of the people there. Sad. I heard yesterday that Jack Nicholson warned him about taking the role because it was such a deep emotional role to live with. That's interesteing.

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen I just read this on IMDB...John Gibson isn't apologizing. Surprise, surprise! Gay activists are slamming Gibson because it's just a continuation of him being so against the release of "Brokeback Mountain". What's that old saying about what you fear the most? :-) Here's a quote from that article: 'On his Wednesday show, Gibson refused to apologize for his comments, explaining they were just "a little Brokeback Mountain joke" and there is "no point in passing up a good joke."' Gibson is an idiot.

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) UGH, people like Gibson are exactly why I blocked Fox News from my TV. I seriously doubt he'll apologize or even pretend to be contrite. Isn't homophobia lovely? Especially combined with an overinflated sense of self. :p

As for writing Fox to protest the release of The Dark Knight, I don't think it would work, and anyway, Ledger chose to play that role. I think it would be a dishonor to his memory for the studio to trash the film he obviously worked so hard on.

message 21: by Pat (new)

Pat I understand what you're saying about exploitation; however, some of us love the Batman movies, and are anxious to see an actor we respect play in the movie. Ya know? I want the movie released, and I will be watching it.

message 22: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments Its gonna be weird seeing him as the Joker this summer.

message 23: by Bree (new)

Bree ugh...that is unconsciencable what Gibson did, even if you don't like someone it's just plain rude to do something like that.

I too am not a celebrity watcher, but Heath's death really saddened me. He was a sweet and charasmatic guy and he had the guts to take on challenging roles and not just pretty boy easy films. I admire that.

I actually think it's not exploitative to release the batman film...he obviously put a lot of thought, effort, and work into creating that role. Yes it is dark, but to just not show it, would be i think in a way saying that Heath's hard work shouldn't be shown, just because he died. Now I agree that the movie studios shouldn't exploit his death thru relentless advertising, but I do think they should release the film.

message 24: by Angie (new)

Angie I do believe that Heath would want the movie released. And I believe the studio should release it. Now if the movie were coming out this weekend, I would agree with postponing the opening. But it isn't until this summer and I think by then it will be plenty of time. Though it will be strange to see him on screen in such a complex role. PS there is something wrong with someone like Gibson poking fun at someone who has passed. Just like that crazy religious group planning on protesting at Ledger's funeral. There is something terribly wrong with that.

message 25: by Judith (new)

Judith (jloucks) I do hope the movie is released so we can see his last performance in a movie.

We have lost many potential great performances is losing Heath. His range was impressive and most pleasant to look upon.

message 26: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) it would be a disservice to Heath Ledger's memory to not release his last performance. His death is a tragedy, but not releasing that film would only add to it. I believe it will stand out as his finest work.

Fox News has officially crossed over into the realm of complete irrelevance as far as I'm concerned. They are a gross cartoon of themselves. None of the cable news channels are reliable in my opinion, but they are by the far the worst. Unless you look to rely on completely biased and grotesque news coverage. The day they spread the rumor that Barak Obama is Muslim was the day they lost any shred of respect I had remaining for them (which wasn't much, I'll grant you). This latest news about their coverage of Ledger's death... well... par for the friggin course.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol | 16 comments "A Knight's Tale" is my fav fun flick of all time; I too was deeply saddened by his untimely death. And a pox on Fox for Gibson's remarks...I do love me my Keith O.!

message 28: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiemill) I just saw this group. I, too, am saddened by the death of Heath Ledger. I've liked him since 10 Things I Hate About You. I always thought he had such a sexy smile and I loved the accent. When I saw on CNN that he was dead, I was stunned. I just couldn't believe it.

He will be missed.

message 29: by Jillian (last edited Feb 04, 2008 09:30PM) (new)

Jillian To Fox News, Entertainment Tonight etc.

I am tired of the media treating celebrities like they are here for our amusement, objects of our ridicule, jealousy and scorn. Yes they have chosen a career that puts them in the spot light but they still deserve to be treated like human beings instead of a cash crop. These people have families and friends who love them. To most of the people in the world they are just objects up on the big screen or on TV. Something to desire, resent, make fun of etc. The glossy pictures in the magazines and the big screen blurs the fact that they like us are human beings. They are mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters. They bleed just like we do. They cry and are hurt when horrible words are spoken of them. They have children who see and hear these horrible things and then have to explain to them how mean the world can be.

I'm also tired of people who buy the magazines and read the trash that keep the junk magazines going. By reading those magazines you keep the paparazzi employed as they hunt down celebrities to get pictures of them without make-up on or eating dinner. Get a life people! Nothing was learned from the death of Diana. Britney Spears is a good example of that.

I was glad to see that ET decided to not air the video of Heath. But they stilled showed clips of it the night before and that was a trashy thing to do. Let the man rest in peace and give his family the time to grieve their beloved son, brother, cousin and father. Remember each time the media and magazines trash his memory he has a little girl who has to grow up in this world and read and hear these horrible things being said about her father. How would you feel if that was your child?

Rest in peace Heath.

message 30: by Sandie (new)

Sandie (SandieHudson) | 1 comments I would really like to see how some of these so called journalist would react if their lives were put up on dieplay like they do to so many stars. I'm so sick and tried of them one day saying how sad it is if something happens, as with Heath. The next they are digging up all the dirt they can.
Magazines saying a friend of the family said this or that, the friend half the time is a friend of a friend's friend. They don't care how it is the family left behind to have to deal with not only the lost of a loved one, but also the crap that is being put out there. I have refused to buy these magazines since Princess Di's death. And I no longer watch shows like Entertainment tonight.
Sorry got carried away.