Tantalize (Tantalize, #1) Tantalize discussion

I can't believe that she ripped off Twilight so badly!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Geez, woman - get your own ideas instead of ripping off others'. Talk about plagiarism.

Toria Lynn still an amazing book though!

Megan RFA I didn't really see a whole lot of Twilight ripping off going on.

I'd like to hear your complaints.

message 4: by Nan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nan I'd have to agree with Megan. Unless you're referring to the fact that both authors use vampires, werewolves, and a human girl as the main characters, I'm really lost on connections between Tantalize and Twilight.

Megan RFA Indeed, Nan. And there are plenty of books out there with those three species as main characters - many of which came out long before Meyer had her meadow dream.

message 6: by Nan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nan Thank you, Megan.

I don't know if the original poster in this thread was serious or not, but I felt compelled to post because plagiarism is a serious accusation. In addition, I found it really upsetting that another reader would take this accusation seriously enough to decide against reading the book. Joke or not, that's too much.

Mahina I've read both as well and I agree with Megan & Nan - I didn't find anything similar to the Twilight Series. Maybe Jan doesn't know that the vampire genre consists of more books than just Twilight?

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Interestingly enough, I figured Stephenie Meyer fell asleep reading dead until dark and woke up with the Twilight dream--only the mind reader is a vampire!

I'd have to say Tantalize wasn't a rip off at all!

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Dead Until Dark was published in 2001 and Meyer states her ideas all began in June 2003. So I don't think that Twilight was the one who was ripped off. Please correct me if I am wrong.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda OK, so I was watching True Blood on Sunday with some friends, two of which are huge twilight fans, and they spent the entire hour accusing HBO of stealing the Twilight story. So I woke up the next morning and did some research and found out that the HBO series true blood is based on the southern vampire series by Charlaine Harris. The first book was published in 2001. On the twilight website Meyer states she didn't even start thinking about her series until 2003 and then later written and published. So for all those Twilight fans out there...DO NOT call True Blood or The Sookie STackhouse Series copycats because they were around before Twilight series was even a figment of imagination. I have watched the show, and am in the process of reading the Southern Vampire Series (Sookie Stackhouse Series) and then I will try Twilight later if I want to. But as far as I've heard there are alot of similarities so. My best advice to anyone out there...don't go around calling True Blood or Charlaine Harris's series a rip off until you know the facts.

message 11: by Brianne (new)

Brianne yeah, sorry, but Twilight was written after the beginning of the Southern Vampire series. Actually, there has been speculation that Stephenie Meyer got her ideas from Charlaine Harris. I find it hard to believe that Ms. Meyer has never read any vampire books before in her life, and then suddenly had a whole series. Regardless, all vampire stories are similar. They all stem from each other. The House of Night series have some of the same ideas as both of the other series too. I just bought a book called Under the Blood Red Moon, where the lead character also has telepathic abilities. None of it is really original. I don't think any of them can claim they are. And the show True Blood has been in discussion to be made for a few years now, I believe since 2005. But even the show is different from the books, though the creator of the show has taken the basic story line from the Sookie books.

message 12: by Nan (last edited Nov 06, 2008 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nan Just because one book was written first doesn't mean that the second book plagiarized it.

I've read the first three Meyers novels (can't stomach them, and refuse to finish the series), all of the Sookies, and Tantalize, the original subject of the thread. Mere similarities in character type are not enough. In order to truly prove a claim a plagiarism, there would have to be conclusive proof that the writer was familiar with the earlier work and textual evidence to support the claim.

Unless someone can actually point to specific similarities of language or nearly identical events, a claim of plagiarism is worthless--and libelous. For a better example of potential plagiarism, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Opal...

The only reason I use the term "potential" is because no legal charges were filed, and the author is therefore still innocent until prove guilty.

message 13: by Stefie (new)

Stefie before people start saying "Twilight was ripped off", maybe they should check their dates. Seems to me that this book was written long before Twilight. the "original idea" that Meyers had does not seem so original anymore!

message 14: by Leslie (last edited Dec 05, 2008 01:45PM) (new)

Leslie Hey....read my earlier post. I said I felt like Stephenie Meyer fell asleep reading Dead Before Dark so Twilight was ripping off Sookie. I think some one misinterpreted my post. (Clearly it couldn't be my writing :)) (Sandy, I think misread my entry).

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Leslie...I didn't misread your post...I completely agree with you. I was replying to Jan's initial post and the topic of the thread (people ripping off story lines.)

Now to reply to Nan. Plagiarism is a serious offense as according to Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 10th ed. to plagiarize is "to steal or pass off the IDEAS or words of another as one's own;" or to "commit literary theft: present as new and original an IDEA or product derived from an existing source" (1993, p.888). **Please note, when citing a source an accredidated institution will not accept wikipedia as a reliable source for citation as it is open-source material and can be edited by anyone. Mistakes are only caught if reviewed. So, for example, I could go in and change a definition of a word and you, who hit the webpage immediately after the change, would think that my definition is accurate when in fact it may have been a complete fabrication. This is why open-source material is not a sufficient place to research any material or find reliable information, it is only as accurate as whomever enters data into it - just to help you out in the future.

As I watched the show True Blood (the HBO show based on the Sookie Stackhouse series by Harris, who is actively involved in the TV series) with fanatics of the Twilight book series by Meyers, they could not stop saying how even character names in the TV series (which are names in the Harris books as well) were identical or similar to names in their Twilight books. The character development and plot line were SO similar that they were predicting events in a show they had never even seen before (ie tribunal, punishment, and pregnancies). I was so disheartened that my favorite show may have been a fraud, I got online to see if anyone else was talking about the similarities. Sure enough everyone was, but to my delight, I found that Harris' work with the Sookie series was a celebrated piece of literature long before Meyers even had her idea for Twilight novels.

Nan says "just because one book was written first doesn't mean the second was plagiarized" yet that is the definition of plagiarism (please refer to above). Vampire stories have been around for centuries and there are some givens: they drink blood, they sleep in the day, they are not alive but living among us, etc; however, massive parallelism in plot lines and character development definitely cross a literary line. As a teacher, I promote reading of any kind and I will read the Twilight series and Tantalize at some time once Sookie is long gone; however, I will never truly consider Meyer's work as completely original. Yet, this is my opinion and I am just happy to be a fan of the FIRST author of such a series where there is no doubt Harris is original.

message 16: by Nan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nan Amanda, thanks for your response. If you had looked at my profile, you'd know that I'm a doctoral student in English working on a dissertation on nineteenth-century British Gothic literature. I've been teaching composition at the university level for ten years.

I am well aware of the reliability of Wikipedia; however, I used that particular entry because it does an excellent job of comparing passages side-by-side between Ms Viswanathan's book and her many sources.

As an academic, I do understand the concept of stealing ideas; however, as a reader of all of the Sookies, the first three Twilights, and Tantalize, I can readily say that no legal charges of plagiarism would stand up in court between the three. Plagiarism is very difficult prove on a legal level. To make a case, one would not only have to prove that the second author had read or been very familiar with the previous work but also prove similarities between them are beyond the level of coincidence.

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Nan ~
I want you to know I was in no way doubting your education and reasoning behind your post. I do hope you checked my profile as well and understand that I am also completing my doctoral degree and although it is not in this type of literature I too have an education.

I only posted to begin with because I was so upset to hear that the show that sparked me to read the Harris series to begin with may be a fraud. I was excited to hear otherwise and wanted to make sure anyone else with my worries knew that it wasn't.

I am reading the Sookie series and still plan to read both Tantalize and the Twighlight series, because I am very interested in the subject and would love to read others. I enjoy reading and like to keep most of my non-educational books to an easy, entertaining, and enjoyable read. I am assuming that since you (a fellow doctoral student) understand the time constraints on reading for pleasure. I don't want to prove anyone is plagerizing, or even attempt to, I just wanted to express my opinion. If they are all good reads than I'm sure they all just had great ideas and it was just a coincidence.

With your expertise in this area I would love to know some other books that you may suggest. I am typically a romance or mystery/suspense reader but I've recently been introduced to these types and would love to find more.

message 18: by Janet (new)

Janet i could not get into the series. I read the first book and ive given it up. im a huge twilight fan so i think that had alot to do with it. (i just got through reading it). I do see alot of similarites, but not enough to make me like the book! I just dont care about the characters. At all.

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet wait, i think im on the wrong discussion board. i was talking about dead until dark. oops.

Kelly Driscoll I don't see man similairites at al. I mean, yeah there's the whole Werewolf/Vampire thing, but you also have that in The Anita Blake series which came out well before Twilight with Anita/Jean Claude/Richard. Twiligh is more of a love story where Tantalized is more of a who-done-it. Acctuley I think if this book were adapted into a movie it would be an exalent Film Noir where Twilight is strictly a romantic thriller.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's been said there are really only about 7 plots available to writers. Its all about detail. Stealing ideas would go back to the eighth written fictional story, if everyone was so quick to suspect it! There are only so many ways you can dress up a vampire story. We like, or don't like, them for the details!!!!!!

message 22: by Gg (new)

Gg umm....stefie, twilight was copyrighted in 2005 as to were tantalize was in 2007 but anyways i read both and their nothing alike dose twilight talk about cooking?no twilight and its other books are way more different i dont know how to explain it but they are and plus it really shouldnt matter for me personaly as long as it is a good book im good =)

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Alright, i hate to be that girl here, but Stephanie meyer MOST DEFINITELY ripped the entire series off. It's ridiculous to not see the similarities! everything from the plot (vampire man and human girl fall in love) to the devices (other guy in triangle is a dog/werewolf) who is involved because the vamp is absent. The mind-reading thing too... how can you NOT see it??

The only thing Stephanie did was to make it a more PG version, take away the heroine's backbone (shame on you, SM!) and make it set for teenagers. I think the twilight series is a load of poo and one that was blatently ripped off from a more talented and creative writer.

message 24: by Ash (new)

Ash ok I have read Tantalize and Twilight and I have not seen one similarity that would lead anyone to say either author plagerized and if you read Breaking Dawn they say that the werewolves are not werewolves but shapeshifters and in tantalize they are werewolves and werecats and there is basically a were ceature for every species I haven't read the other metined series but I still wouldn't accuse anyone of plagerism and if you get down to the nitty gritty you could say they all plagerized bram stoker with the vampires and this is going to seem off topic but if you want to be like that then you could say the creator of west side story plagerised william shakspeare's romeo and juliet.......they have lovers from opposing sides.......but noone has done that so just like with that there is no plagerism due to the differences that are present

message 25: by Caleb (new)

Caleb Rogers What, it has vampires?! IT MUST BE A RIP OFF OF TWILIGHT. OFF WITH HEADS.

message 26: by Bluechick (new)

Bluechick Dead Until dark was published 4 years before Twilight. While you may like Stephanie Meyer's vampire series better, it is ridiculous to say Charalaine Harris "ripped off Twilight"

Maria no way this book is way better than twilight!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't think that this book was anything like Twilight. Sure, the author put in werewolves, vampires, and humans, but TONS of people write about those combinations. Plagiarism is a HUGE accusation to just throw on someone. It could possibly ruin her career, but no, she didn't plagiarize(that I know of), because this book was nowhere near Twilight.

Maria i agree! ;)

Somer Ths book is nice...but the second book is just SO confusing...then the third starts off where the first book ended exactly..im just saying as the series grow...this book tends to be more and more boring...jus sayin =/ i barely finished reading the last one it was just sooo boring!!!

Sandra This is all too much to stomach for me... Why is everyone arguing over who wrote what or stole from whoever? Just grab another book and start reading... Life is too short to argue, just takes aways from precious reading time... LOL! :D

Maria you are soo damn right!! i couldnt agree more

Cayra Caleb wrote: "What, it has vampires?! IT MUST BE A RIP OFF OF TWILIGHT. OFF WITH HEADS."

Too right :)

And mind reading is actually a common feature in vampiric literature. All the vampires in Amelia Atwater-Rhodes books have some extent of mind reading and mind control.

Maria true that!!!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Hmmm Its like saying Meyer ripped off Dracula or Anne Rices books. She didnt invent the vampire character.

message 36: by Mel (last edited Apr 17, 2012 10:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel I read both Tantalize and Blessed books and I found no Twilight references. If I remember correctly Tantilize was about a girl working in a vampire restaurant in Texas who's in love with her werewolf best friend.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen Mel wrote: "I read both Tantalize and Blessed books and I found no Twilight references. If I remember correctly Tantilize was about a girl working in a vampire restaurant in Texas who's in love with her werewo..."

OMG She definetely ripped off Friends! and the Monica&Chandler pairing!

*ironY*

Amanda I think calling *any* of these volumes (Stackhouse, Twilight or Tantalize) "a celebrated piece of literature" is a stretch.

message 39: by Brigette (new) - added it

Brigette Ragland I read Tantalize and i found nothing similar. yea, i mean omg she had humans and werewolves and vampires in the book, omg the author ripped off twilight. no she didn't. just because all three in are in the book doesn't mean she ripped off twilight. cause she didn't. nothing is similar about the two books other than humans, werewolves, and vampires. and yes it has a semi-love triangle both the three, but nothing else.

Kitty Megan wrote: "I didn't really see a whole lot of Twilight ripping off going on.

I'd like to hear your complaints."

I agree. This concept, although based in the paranormal, is far from a copy! There are so many differences, but mainly the main characters are palatable and likeable.