Ratebeer Readers discussion

All the Pretty Horses

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 39 comments Just finished reading the book. Great read and not only because of the story but mainly because of the beautiful scenes laid out in the written word. It was like watching a film on paper. Anyone else read and enjoyed this book?

message 2: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments Yes and loved it as well.

I got on a McCarthy jag and read most of his newer stuff about three years ago. Have you read Blood Meridian yet? That was my introduction to McCarthy and a continuing favorite.

message 3: by Muzzlehatch (new)

Muzzlehatch | 168 comments I've finally heard enough stuff that I'm feeling compelled to read something. Figure I'll start with "Suttree" but it will undoubtedly be months (at least) before I get to it.

message 4: by Dodd (new)

Dodd | 127 comments With all of the hoo-haa around the Oscar nominations that No Country has received I was surprised to hear how many people despise McCarthy and his writing. I spent a significant part of my non-productive day today stuck in traffic with the radio on while listeners were calling in and e-mailing the guest movie critic who had dared call No Country a masterpiece. There was a long string criticisms from multiple people calling the movie and dialog contrived, empty, gimmicky, and pointless.

This was public radio. Go figure

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason | 39 comments I actually had my first taste of McCarthy when I picked up "No Country" the first day it came out. I was in a book store on my day off and randomly saw this book, looked at the sleeve, and purchased it. Finished it in a few days in awe of the masterpiece that it was. I read the Road when it came out also and while it was good I could see that I wasn't getting the full McCarthy experience. Seeing the movie has recently surged my intrest in reading some more McCarthy.

message 6: by grantonio (new)

grantonio | 24 comments Good to hear your experience, Jason. I just finished The Road tonight and while it was ok, I found myself underwhelmed given all the good things I've heard about him.