Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > I Am the Messenger - *possible spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LinBee (last edited Apr 21, 2009 08:12AM) (new)

LinBee Ok, so I just finished I Am the Messenger this morning. There were a few people who wanted to discuss it, so I started a seperate thread for it. I'm kinda confused about the book thing at the end. I may have missed, where did that come from? What did it mean? Is the book (the one we are reading), the one he is referring to in the story? Is it the picture in the mirror within the mirror?

message 2: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Yes, I can spell. The authors name is spelled MARKUS Zusak. Sorry.

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I read this after the book thief and it was so different from BT.
So at the end the questions that lingered for me was? Was it God? Was it a book within a book? Was it some bizarro future him? I kinda took it to be a God like figure but I really don't know for sure.
I took the book to be the book we are reading but thats just my take on it.

message 4: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Yeah, like Destiny manifested. Or himself coming back to make sure he didn't stay average.

I had to rewind and repeat about 3 times to try and understand what was going on.

All in all, even though it was so different, I enjoyed it. It made me stop and think about what people might need in their life. What could help them reach higher, or just make it for another day. And what you don't really know about he people you are around everyday.

message 5: by Laura (last edited Apr 21, 2009 05:59PM) (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments I loved this book absolutely! We discussed this in another GR bookgroup, and someone suggested that in the ending, the catalyst for the story refers back to the author himself.

And - if you look at the picture of the author on the last bookflap, you'll see he's holding a folder and carrying his running shoes. So if you re-read the ending, I think it's clear that he is referring to himself.

I loved this book, and I would really love to write a YA novel that would jump off from this one and inspire people, especially young people, to really help one another and be a force for positive change in the world. If I ever met Zusak I would give him a big hug because I think books like this that inspire selfless good deeds are really needed, and he did a terrific job with it.

message 6: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Ok, I get it. The young man in the book who gives the book to Ed is Zusak himself. He is giving the "book" we are reading to Ed. An ahah moment!

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments He's such a genius, I just love him. He is probably the author I admire most.

message 8: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I'm starting to see the draw. He is so diversified.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Exactly! That's just the word I was looking for!