The American Civil War discussion

Lincoln > New Lincoln Bio

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Hi all... Well, I've finally caught the Lincoln bug! I've read the Donald and Oates and am currently reading the Carwardine.

Now I see there's a new one out. "A. Lincoln: A Biography" by Ronald C. White Jr. I'm not familiar with this writer, but I would image ANY biographer on Lincoln would have to shed light on some new aspect of Lincoln in order to elbow it's way into the rest of the pack.

Anybody know this author and his credentials and writing style?

Thanks, Michael

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 16 comments You're going to be quite the Lincoln expert, Michael!

Has anyone seen the PBS presentation: Looking for Lincoln hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.? It's very well done - fascinating effort to separate the real man from the myth.

CJ

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael CJ wrote: "You're going to be quite the Lincoln expert, Michael!"

Yeah, I'm finding Lincoln a fascinating figure. Lots of stuff about him that really changes the way I think about him, especially all the myths and things I learned about him in middle and high school. He seems a much more complex figure than I remembered learning about many years ago from school in the Deep South!

CJ, I remember something about Gates doing something on Lincoln recently. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going on their website to check it out.

Michael

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Bro (cjbro) | 16 comments One of the best points the documentary made was that we can't make the mistake of judging him by 21st century standards. By those standards, yes, he would be considered a racist (altho' on a scale of 1 to 10 ...) But, give the attitudes and influences of his era, he was still lightyears ahead of most in his day.
As you said, he was very complex. I look forward to reading the books you recommended.
CJ

message 5: by Joe (last edited Apr 23, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

Joe (blues) | 14 comments I have recently read Ronald White's "Lincoln's Greatest Speech: The Second Inaugural" that was put out in 2002, and highly enjoyed it. I imagine that his latest work will be just as good, or even better.
Also, James M. McPherson, the acclaimed author of Battle Cry of Freedom, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize has been quoted as saying, “Ronald C. White’s A. LINCOLN is the best biography of Lincoln since David Donald's LINCOLN (1995)... Amid all the books on Lincoln that will be published during the coming year, this one will stand out as one of the best.”

Now that's a pretty good endorsement. I actually purchased the book already and anticipate reading it very soon.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Apr 24, 2009 08:37AM) (new)

Michael Wow.... I would imagine McPherson's endorsement holds a lot of weight. And even comparing it with Donald's bio is a huge plus.

I'm always leary of bios of very famous people. I think sometimes when so much of a person's life is in print, there's always the risk of what new to saw, or what new angle to take.

I'm currently finding Carwardine's bio such a treasure because he's tracking down Lincoln's use of "power" and also the religious angle and it's impact on his election and presidency. I guess you could say his work is more of an "analytical biography."

I always think there's a place for "standard" bios, but I also want to read about un-explored (or under-explored) aspects of the subject's life.

So, that being said, I look forward to reading White's work. Maybe we can discuss it here.

Michael

message 7: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Craig | 96 comments This new book is on Lincoln's notes that he would write to himself:

Lincoln In Private What His Most Personal Reflections Tell Us About Our Greatest President by Ronald C. White by Ronald C. White