Favorite Clarke Novel

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 74 comments Mod
Tell us your favorite Clarke novel.

message 2: by Jaice (new)

Mine is Childhood's End. It was the first Clarke novel I ever read and I fell in love with him immediately. I love the storyline and, like everything Clarke wrote, it is very well written. It has a very optimistic view of humanity's future and explains why we are special in this vast universe, which may be filled with many fantastic civilizations!

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (crackerfarm) | 3 comments Mine Would Prolly Be
3001 It is one of the best out of 4.
2010 is good too well <.<
2061 was pretty boring... Lol Childhood's End was really good to.

<.< Has anyone read A Time Odyssey?
I never hear anything about it it's the last book he did :(

message 4: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 71 comments Ooh, 2001 or Rendezvous With Rama, tough call...

message 5: by Jaice (new)

Larry wrote: "Ooh, 2001 or Rendezvous With Rama, tough call..."

Both excellent choices indeed.

message 6: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) | 71 comments Yea it was difficult but I think its a toss up between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Rendezvous with Rama. I know everyone holds Childhood's End up on a pedestal but I just didnt quite get it when I read it years ago-I need to get a copy and re-read it.

message 7: by Jaice (new)

Larry wrote: "Yea it was difficult but I think its a toss up between 2001: A Space Odyssey and Rendezvous with Rama. I know everyone holds Childhood's End up on a pedestal but I just didnt quite get it when I re..."

You really should give Childhood's End another try. It is not only my favorite Clarke novel, but my favorite novel of all time.

message 8: by Rasika (new)

Rasika Jayawardena | 1 comments It's a toss up between The Fountains of Paradise and 2001 for me. Location, time, history, sociopolitics and the technology (of course) makes Fountains of Paradise one of the best Clark novels that I've ever read. On the other hand the pure lust for the space and the unknown (and HAL of course) and as the start of a new chapter in science fiction makes 2001 a great read as well.

message 9: by Mirek (new)

Mirek | 1 comments My favorites would be 2001 and "Fountains of Paradise"

message 10: by Jake (new)

Jake (childe_jake) One of these days I'll get around to rereading The Fountains of Paradise. Great to see other fans appreciating Clarke's lesser known works.

message 11: by David (new)

David Hunt (djcybertsai) | 1 comments The best I have read would have to be Rendezvous with Rama. It had a lot of intricate details that didn't bore you, and the pace was great couldn't put it down reading it again now after buying the Omnibus edition.

message 12: by Tom LA (new)

Tom LA | 1 comments These are all masterworks guys, but to me his very best is "The City and the Stars". The image of the kid looking out through the grate into the unknown desert, when his world could provide him with any possible pleasure he could wish for, is the most powerful metaphor I've found so far about : 1) the ancestral human spirit of exploration; 2) anyone who feels a magnetic attraction towards what's different, uncommon, and is driven by out of the box thinking.

message 13: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1 comments The Light of Other Days is my favorite novel of all time. Read the book twice and listen to the audio book once. Very very intriguing. The possibilities of the "wormcam" would be limitless in time or in space!

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Court | 1 comments Mine would have to be 'Islands in the Sky' - my first ever sci-fi as a 10(?) year old :-)

message 15: by Réal (new)

Réal Laplaine 2001 - no doubt about it for me. The story inspired me - fueled me in my own life.

message 16: by Barbie (new)

Barbie (pensacolabarbie) | 1 comments The City and the Stars is my favorite of his, but you cant help like all of his books.