Dickens! Mwah! discussion

what (Dickens) are you reading now?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 4 comments I just started The Pickwick Papers. After only two chapters, I'm already really enjoying the characters.

What are you reading?

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 19 comments Mod
I'm in the Old Curiosity Shop right now, and it is really great. It's not like the great ones, but good.

By great ones, I mean Bleak House, David Copperfield, Tale of Two Cities, and Our Mutual Friend. Most people also include Great Expectations in that list, but it didn't really stick with me either, Gabriella. I read it when I was young, so maybe I need to read it again soon.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 3 comments I am reading Hard Times. So far, I really like it. It covers the Industrial age and Dickens feelings on that. It is great. I have laughed out loud several times already. I love how Dickens will make fun of his characters.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just finishing Nicholas Nickleby, and I feel guilty that I'm disappointed with it. I'm completely worn out after 1,200 pages of excessive wordiness (cringe... did I say that?). I think I was trying to recapture the Great Expectations high that I was still savoring, and there just may never be an equivalent for me. However, Nicholas was a very find fellow, wasn't he? I have a nice little florilegium of favorite passages and funny scenes from the book, and there were moments that were truly hilarious. I'll remember Miss Squeers desire to scratch someone's countenance with her fair fingernails.

Heading to Copperfield or Bleak House next. Haven't decided.

message 5: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthef) | 14 comments I would suggest, if you are tired of "wordiness" that you don't go to Bleak House next. Nick Nicleby wasn't thought to be one of Dickens greater works and for some it was the length but also the characters weren't thought to be all that strong. I have some favorites within the book as well, but also felt frustrated with it at times. Bleak House is my favorite but jumping from NN to that... not sure it's a good idea. Bleak House is a more political book with a great deal of social commentary, class struggle and a lot about the judicial system. It is quite heavey reading and can be very confusing unless you well understand the English court system. Bleak House is a book to turn to when you want some serious reading. Copperfield on the other hand, is more sentimental and .... perhaps gentle? If you want the "feel good feeling" then better to go with David Copperfield. Bleak House is aptly named!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahhh, yes. By all means, be gentle with me Dickens. Copperfield it is! I almost lept off into The Way We Live Now by Trollope instead. Do most of you read lighter books between... shall I say yummier books? For me the only real gratification of reading comes from struggle, which might be a twisted perspective but leaves me with better memories of books than actual reading of the books. However, I have to fill in with something lighter like a commerical in between. I guess if Dickens becomes a commercial as well as a meal I'm in trouble.

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments Hello, everybody. This year I am reading all of Dickens' novels. I started _Bleak House_ yesterday (my eleventh for the year) and am really enjoying it. I have two favorite novels so far: _David Copperfield_ (I've read it many times and always break into sobs at the same spot) and _A Tale of Two Cities_, which I regard as close to perfection. Reading the novels in close succession is giving me a fascinating picture of Dickens as artist. I've also been reading the wonderful notes on the novels by G.K. Chesterton.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthef) | 14 comments Wow, Laurele, you are really going to town on your reading. How is Bleak House going? (that's probably MY favorite...I'm not so fond of Tale of Two Cities)

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments Ruth wrote: "Wow, Laurele, you are really going to town on your reading. How is Bleak House going? (that's probably MY favorite...I'm not so fond of Tale of Two Cities)"

I'm ready to begin Chapter 55 (of 67 chapters). I'm really enjoying it. It has just about everything--mystery, romance, social justice, legal intrigue, you name it. It's amazing how it all comes together.

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments I finished reading _Bleak House_ yesterday and am now watching the Andrew Davies film. It's okay, but of course the book is better. I was sorry that Mrs. Snagsby and the musical Bagnets didn't make it into the film.

message 11: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthef) | 14 comments I enjoyed that particular film and I was surprised that I did. Often I miss the characters that get left out due to the need to condense the storyline; however, I think I waited long enough between reading the book and watching the series that I didn't notice it so strongly.

message 12: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments I'm watching the older BBC _Bleak House_ series now--the one with Diana Rigg and Denholm Elliot. I think I like it better than the other. You're right, though, Ruth; I liked the Andrew Davies film better before I read the book.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 7 comments I preferred the first BBC Bleak House too. But I preferred the book over both!

message 14: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 12 comments Susan wrote: "I preferred the first BBC Bleak House too. But I preferred the book over both!"

Exactly.

message 15: by Hogen10 (new)

Hogen10 | 7 comments deleted user wrote: "I'm just finishing Nicholas Nickleby, and I feel guilty that I'm disappointed with it. I'm completely worn out after 1,200 pages of excessive wordiness (cringe... did I say that?). I think I was..."

Go to Bleak...One of his last and best.

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 7 comments I'm re-reading Barnaby Rudge for an article I'm writing. It's been well over 20 years since I've read it (aargh!) and I'm surprised at how I much I enjoyed the first couple of chapters, since it wasn't one of my favorites.

message 17: by daniel (last edited Jul 21, 2009 10:12AM) (new)

daniel (dddd1) | 3 comments I am just finishing Oliver Twist after having been so amused by the reading of Great expectations(one of my fav reading so far).

What would you suggest to read next as the funniest and more jocular of all dickens' novels? I had heard bleak house was pretty funny but then again I read previously in this post that's it's quite a heavy, serious reading?

thanks for your suggestions!

ps: I've no problem with the wordiness for that matter, on the contrary to tell the truth I rather like it; but I'm quite ignorant of the English legal system.

message 18: by Hogen10 (new)

Hogen10 | 7 comments Daniele wrote: "I am just finishing Oliver Twist after having been so amused by the reading of Great expectations(one of my fav reading so far).

What would you suggest to read next as the funniest and more jocul..."

I think Bleak House is the perfect novel to follow Pickwick Paper. Bleak was at the end of Dicken's output and Pickwick was at the beginning. Bleak House IS bleak but is a very moving/sad/beautiful story. Dicken's description of London on the first page feels so real.

I would say Bleak House is funny in the sense of the 'dripping' sarcasm Dickens uses to describe his characters.

I'd like to thanks the members of theis group for their sugesstions on a Dicken's bio.

Jim C.

message 19: by daniel (new)

daniel (dddd1) | 3 comments Hogen10 wrote:"I would say Bleak House is funny in the sense of the 'dripping' sarcasm Dickens uses to describe his characters. "

Ok thanks Hogen10, I'll move on with Bleak house then, I thoroughly love Dickens' caricatures(Mr Bumble and Uncle Pumblechook were my all times favourites).

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy | 12 comments Yeah, I think Hogen is right--Bleak House is fantastic but it is really biting satire. If you like caricature, I'd really recommend Martin Chuzzlewit. So did you start Bleak House? What do you think of it?

TheGirlBytheSeaofCortez (Madly77) I was rereading DAVID COPPERFIELD. Don't know if I'll finish that one or move on the BLEAK HOUSE.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (digifish_books) I'm reading Dombey and Son at the moment. So far it is pretty slow-going. It's taken me several days just to get to Chapter 9!

message 23: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle Gridley | 1 comments I am currently re reading David Copperfield. Like Laurele, I burst into tears when David's poor mother died. And now poor Agnes is going to come under the power of -- oops is that a spoiler or not? Anyway, I am just dreading when I come to that part again.

After "group reading" Dorian Gray I read several Agatha Christies and then The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest to cool out. Back to the Victorians!!!

message 24: by Gary (new)

Gary | 21 comments I am starting A TALE OF TWO CITIES,this week. my bookclub is discussing it this month, with an english/french tea party.

message 25: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I've started reading Little Dorrit. I had watched the adaptation a few years ago and greatly enjoyed it. The copy of the book that I have was given to me as a Christmas gift but I only got around to reading it now. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm enjoying it so far =)

message 26: by Gary (new)

Gary | 21 comments I am loving A TALE OF TWO CITIES! it's awesome!

message 27: by Gary (new)

Gary | 21 comments I just finished today TALE OF 2 CITIES! What a powerful story!!!!!!! If you've not read it yet, run, run, run to the nearest bookstore, library, whereever to snatch up a copy,and plow right into it. It's a great story!

message 28: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinannw) | 4 comments doctormatt wrote: "I just started The Pickwick Papers. After only two chapters, I'm already really enjoying the characters.

What are you reading?"

I finished 'The Old Curiosity Shop' I enjoyed it very much, as I have all of the Dickens I have read. Now I am reading 'Pickwick Papers' funny stuff!

message 29: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinannw) | 4 comments Pickwick Papers. Very funny!

message 30: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinannw) | 4 comments I just finished Barnaby Rudge and loved it! On to Bleak house!

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I am halfway through Martin Chuzzlewit... can't wait to see where it goes!

message 32: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I am re-reading Bleak House,

message 33: by Ann Helen (new)

Ann Helen (bergenslabb) I'm about to start reading The Pickwick Papers, which will be my fourth Dickens in less than a year (though not all in 2012). So far I've read Nicholas Nickleby, Great Expectations and Barnaby Rudge, and the latter is a clear favourite. I actually liked GE less than NN, but they were both good. Somehow I have a feeling that Pickwick will become an instant favourite.

message 34: by Terry (new)

Terry Woods | 1 comments I've read all but Barnaby Rudge and Oliver Twist. Know the musical so it kind of ruins the idea of reading the book for me although I know it's quite a bit fuller. Love every book of Dickens I've read. Glad I struggled through A Tale Of Two Cities. Didn't think I would make it at first. Does anyone know of any good books on Dickens Critiques? Or biographies? I'd love to learn more about the writer.

message 35: by Hashim (new)

Hashim Alsughayer (akaboali) | 1 comments I'm currently reading Hard Times, and from the title, one immediately will imagine a harsh and awful Victorian environment, and that's exactly what one will get!

Dickens' doing what he always does best, giving his readers a sense of 19th century England!

Loving the book!

message 36: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (jodiereadsbooks) | 2 comments Currently reading a slew of Dickens biographies before I embark on Expectations and Bleak House :)

message 37: by Natalie (last edited Apr 06, 2013 09:27AM) (new)

Natalie | 19 comments Mod
Hashim wrote: "I'm currently reading Hard Times, and from the title, one immediately will imagine a harsh and awful Victorian environment, and that's exactly what one will get!

Dickens' doing what he always does..."

Love Hard Times! Louisa is the best female character I've ever seen in Dickens!

message 38: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Pollard-Gott (fictional100) I'm currently reading Our Mutual Friend. I've long greatly admired Dickens's books but I think it was only last year that I became a true fan! I reread Bleak House as preparation for reviewing A Solitary House, Lynn Shepherd's excellent literary mystery based on Bleak House. Rereading Bleak House soon became an exhilarating, unforgettable experience, and I wanted to explore the novels that were still unread.

I read Little Dorrit next with pleasure (and saw two different adaptations), and I've made a good start on Our Mutual Friend. But like Jodie, I have enjoyed taking a detour into the wealth of doorstop-sized biographies that are available!

Very happy to join this group.

message 39: by Dieter (new)

Dieter I just finished Claire Tomalin's Dickens biography, which is just as well written as the one by Peter Ackroyd and less enamoured with its subject. Very recommendable!