All Things Italy discussion

Half Italian (and then some)
This topic is about Half Italian
Trattoria - Let's eat! > Good bolognese

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited May 18, 2013 07:06AM) (new)

Joe Pfeiler | 16 comments I come from an Italian family who made great meat sauces. I tried their tip of adding roast beef drippings, but my attempts never matched what I grew up with.

After a few trips to Italy, however, I came up with one that I love. Here's a link to my blog post with pictures of it in progress. The complete recipe is in my book, Half Italian (and then some).

I'd love to hear how others prepare their favorite Ragu Bolognese.

http://www.halfitalianbook.blogspot.c...

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina Tinglof (ChristinaBagliviTinglof) | 1 comments I, too, love a good Bolognese sauce. Here's my recipe adapted from a recipe from Marcella Hazan. http://www.chowitaly.com/2013/02/bolo...

message 3: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug | 15 comments Can anyone suggest a good recipe for vegetarian bolognese? I'm very fond of Italian food but I'm a vegetarian.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Pfeiler | 16 comments Lit bug: Try online "Marinara" sauces, which have no meat.

And try adding a splash or two of sweet Marsala to the sauce while it's cooking -- sweet Marsala adds a fullness that I love.

message 5: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug | 15 comments Joe wrote: "Lit bug: Try online "Marinara" sauces, which have no meat.

And try adding a splash or two of sweet Marsala to the sauce while it's cooking -- sweet Marsala adds a fullness that I love."

Thanks! But I don't know what Marsala is or if it available in India. :)

message 6: by dely (new)

dely | 26 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Thanks! But I don't know what Marsala is or if it available in India. :) "

It is a kind of wine.

There can't be a bolognese without meat; a bolognese without meat isn't anymore a bolognese sauce :D
But you can do a tomato sauce with vegetables (green peas, carrots, celery): instead of the meat you add the vegetables cut in little pieces.

message 7: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug | 15 comments Yes - there would be no authenticity in it, but it is always good to have new tastes and new textures in one's food - adds some variety. Can't get hold of ANY wine - or any drinks for that matter - could you suggest a substitute?

message 8: by dely (new)

dely | 26 comments Lit Bug wrote: "Yes - there would be no authenticity in it, but it is always good to have new tastes and new textures in one's food - adds some variety. Can't get hold of ANY wine - or any drinks for that matter -..."

It isn't necessary to add the wine. I never add it to any sauce with tomatoes.

message 9: by Lit Bug (new) - added it

Lit Bug | 15 comments Thank goodness! will try it one day... Do you folks have soups different from American/European soups?

unread topics | mark unread