Archives > Water For Elephants: Chapters 19 - 24

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) | 284 comments Mod
Discuss the final chapters of WFE here.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

When you read the prologue, who did you think died and who did you think killed him? How did that affect the way you read the book?

SPOILERS.... DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED!!!!!

I thought Marlena killed Uncle Al. After August got his new costume, I thought Marlena would kill August. I didn't realize it was who it was until it happened (I'm not posting the name in case anyone is cheating and reading this thread before they've finished the book! *ahem*Meghan*ahem*)

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Jan 24, 2008 06:15PM) (new)

? said:

I also thought Marlena killed Uncle Al.

Moderator's note: I deleted this from the other thread to move it here and then promptly forgot who wrote it. Mea culpa. Was it Sera?

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Arctic said:

up to chapter 3.

not really sure who Uncle Al is (other than someone who calls people Rubes), but I assumed Marlena was killing the ringmaster, just based on the description of the guy.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Robbie said:

To avoid any spoilers, I'll just say I got it *right*

message 6: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 141 comments Mod
Okay, to clarify, when I first read it, I figured out immediately who the killer was. I think it was because I had read in a review somewhere something about a surprise ending or something. (Could I be more vague?) I can't say that I knew who was killed--just don't remember it that well. I read the book during a camping trip this summer.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

I should have seen it coming, what with the pink sequined headpiece and her taking out the spike to steal the lemonade. But it totally surprised me and was a HUGE part of why I loved the book so much.

message 8: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 141 comments Mod
Yeah, I was actually disappointed that I heard about a surprise ending and figured it out. I loved the book, but it would have been even better if I had been fooled in the Prologue.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

That's why I'm so worried about spoilers here. The ending's just too delicious.

message 10: by Sera (last edited Jan 26, 2008 11:17AM) (new)

Sera | 195 comments *****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

To me, the biggest twist at the end involved Jacob himself.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Charlie? Charlie... I don't remember a Charlie. Do you mean Jacob? If not remind me who Charlie is... I haven't had my coffee yet today...

message 12: by Sera (new)

Sera | 195 comments Oh my gosh, Sarah - I'm such a dolt sometimes. I wrote this while just starting to drink my morning coffee so please forgive me. Charlie is the circus man to whom Jacob tells his story. I meant Jacob. I'm going to go back and edit my post now.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

OH. See, I can't function without coffee either! LOL

message 14: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Did anyone else despise August as much as I did? Whilst reading this book I'd wake up angry and mad and all because of this man - a book has never affected me this way before and I put that down to brilliant writing so that I had a very clear picture of what was going on. Even thinking about him now makes me mad.