Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Book Signing

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments It's a great Monday. Saturday was our first book signing and it was wonderful. Didn't sell a lot of books, but we had fun and got the word out about the book and where to get it.

Hope the next signing will be more profitable. Otherwise, it’s a beautiful day and I’m out and about selling “The Measure of a Man."

message 2: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments Congratulations on your first book signing! They are fun and if you learned anything about what worked and what didn't, please share your thoughts with us!
Your friend, Kathy

message 3: by Thersa (new)

Thersa And congrats from me, too. I've got my first in a few weeks and am getting really excited.

t

message 4: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments It was great fun if nothing else. Kind of neat to be able to introduce one's self as the author of a book. Just remember, don't get disappointed if you don't sell a lot at first, and just keep at it. When this one is done, schedule the next one.

message 5: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments Great advice F.d.! thank you, Kathy

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) That's what I'm trying to do. I've had two and have another one scheduled for June.

Sheila

message 7: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments Good work Sheila.

message 8: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments It looks like we are all about at the same level. I have had two and my third is June 4th, out in my old home town.
I bought a tiny video camera so that I could do my intro and reading infront of it so I could see all my flaws.
I use to do that when I gave classes to large groups of people. Really makes you aware of your mannerisms and how often you say ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Sounds like we are all doing good. We are getting out and letting people know we have a book, word of mouth is a great advertisement.

message 9: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments Yes. But I'm not getting the returns I had hoped for. My book sales are really low.

message 10: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments I was told not to worry about the amount of books you sell at a booksigning. The expose to the book store and the people is what is important. The sells may come later from the exposure.
It hurts our pride though when we do not sell a lot. I have the bookmarks out and when they take one I ask them if they would like me to sign it, they seem to linger a little longer then and they may not be picking it up for themselves but again for someone who might like your type of book.
I find it hard to be patient, I want to sell out of every book I bring. What did you consider a low book sale from your signing?

message 11: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments It's not the signing sales that I'm concerned with. It's the general sales. I couldn't afford Authorhouse's price for marketing, so I'm having to do that myself. Those are the sales that are low. None of the big stores, Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc., will carry a self-published book.

message 12: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments I fully understand as my book is through iuniverse and I am doing all the marketing as well. It is hard but I'm determined. We just have to be patient. Do you have a website to help promote?

message 13: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I'm glad you enjoyed your signing, F.D.

I thought I wouldn't like them, as I'm a fairly shy person, but I really enjoy them and I'm looking forward to the next ones (I have one coming up on Saturday). I do think it's funny that people come up to me to shake the hand of a 'real writer' though... makes me wonder if I was a figment of my own imagination before my books were published!

message 14: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments Love the book signing, and Yes, Penelope, I will be patient. They won't beat me.

message 15: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments Nor me, we will cheer each other on to success, F.D.

message 16: by Bernadette (last edited Apr 23, 2009 12:57AM) (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) I've been doing several events the past couple of weeks and the one I had a couple of days ago was the first time no one even looked at my book! Yikes! That was a bit discouraging but I guess it was just the wrong crowd.

I have my first school visit on Sunday. I'll be reading and doing Q&A sessions in the library with several classes. Any tips for school visits?

message 17: by Penelope (last edited Apr 23, 2009 06:49AM) (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments I have not done one yet but would be eager to hear how it went. What age group are they? How did you go about contacting the school? What is your book about?

message 18: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments Yes Bernadette, don't go to a school that has clases on a Sunday. :-)

message 19: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments Impromptu book signing at Wickham Park in Melbourne Florida today! There's a big Veterans Gathering there this weekend. A friend of mine handed out fists full of brochures and generated enough interest for me to set up a table. Ha ha If I sell one, it's one more than I expected to sell over there today!
Wish me luck.
Hugs, Kathy

message 20: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Good luck Kathy! I like the idea of impromptu signings... what fun!

message 21: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments Bernadette wrote: "I'll be reading An ABC Escapade through Egypt to classes from KG to Grade 5. I'll definitely let you know how it goes. It was actually a reader - and one of my biggest promoters - wh..."

Oh, I see. Here Sunday is the end of the weekend, Monday is the first day of the week.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Hendrix (sheilahendrix) Congrats Kathy but what is an impromptu signing?

message 23: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) F.D. wrote: "Oh, I see. Here Sunday is the end of the weekend, Monday is the first day of the week."

Yeah, it takes some getting used to at first - the change in weekends. Instead of TGIF, we say SH*T (So Happy It's Thursday). :)

message 24: by F.D. (new)

F.D. Crandall (fdcrandall) | 54 comments LOL LOL LOL

message 25: by K.G. (new)

K.G. Cummings (kgcummings) | 143 comments Hi Sheila, it was unplanned, unscheduled and unexpected! There is the largest Veterans Gathering in the country going on this weekend in Melbourne Florida. A friend of mine suggested I use some space on his spot to try and sell some books. I didn't sell the most and I didn't sell the least, but I sure got a lot of "free" exposure and had a darn good time! I made a good connection with another Vets organization that I may hook up with for a fund raiser book signing. Nothing hurts if you use it to your advantage. Thanks for the Congrats!
Kathy

message 26: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Congrats to everyone for all of our signings!!

My school visit went very well. I spent the day reading to the classes in the library and the elementary librarian was so welcoming and supportive. The first class suffered a bit but I had it down after that. The kids had great questions and we had some good discussion. The librarian set up a table by the front gate after school and it was my best day of sales yet! And it pushed me over my first goal - I've now sold enough books now that I've covered my printing costs!! Now to plan for the next school visit...

message 27: by Penelope (new)

Penelope (PARiley) | 39 comments Bernadette, your day sounds very successful not only in sales but with the kids too. How exciting for them. When you first mentioned your school day, it made me think, that is something I would like to do this fall. So close to the end of the year now. Congrats again and especially on making it to your first goal!

message 28: by John (new)

John | 1 comments Been lurking here for a while, reading others' comments about their success (or lack thereof) from book signings.

I've been putting off my efforts, based on the simple calculation that I will certainly make more money by going to work another day in my "regular job."

However, it seems clear that if the calculus we use for book-signing/marketing is based solely on return on investment, none of us would aggressively market our books and would have the meager book sales to prove the efficacy of that marketing philosophy!

Good luck to all...

John

message 29: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments I have found that book signings are my best marketing investment. Once you do a signing at a bookstore, they will generally carry your book afterwards. If sales are slow at a bookstore, go back for another signing. Hand out info sheets, cards or bookmarks. I have found that my book sells well at bookstores in the weeks following a signing. Do something to draw attention. I started wearing a wizard hat at every signing and it doubled my sales. I don’t know what your expectations are, but I did a signing last Saturday in a mall and sold 11 books in 3.5 hours. I consider that a great success, since I usually only sell from 4 to 8 books at this time of year.

message 30: by Simon (new)

Simon | 7 comments I had 92 people at Books and Books in Coral Gables and sold 42 books but I did not follow that up with any other stores. They looked down on POD. Anyhow just re-did my Blog, http://simonvincent-author.blogspot.com/
Simon

message 31: by David (new)

David Korinetz | 77 comments Wow! 42 books is fantastic! I think it would be tough act to follow but well worth the effort. POD is an issue with some, that's why I went for a print run with a printer who works with publishing houses. It is still self-published, but seems slightly more acceptable for some reason. It’s more profitable too.

message 32: by Nina (new)

Nina | 89 comments Sounds as though everyone is doing well with signings. Keep up your enthusiasm! I've done well with charity fundraiser events, such as the March of Dimes walkathon, and conferences.

message 33: by Michelle (last edited May 13, 2009 01:52PM) (new)

Michelle Ross | 14 comments I just discovered that you can post an event ad on craigslist for free. I posted my book signing on there, but who knows how much good it'll do. Still, free promotion is free promotion. If it brings more people to my book signing that's great. If not, at least I haven't spent anything on the ad.

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

An ABC Escapade through Egypt (other topics)