Debate discussion

Politics > Alternative energy

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (last edited Apr 20, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

Keith (keifer) | 137 comments Ok so in my debate group we are debating can alternative energy replace fossil fuel?
Well what do you think? Have at it. : P

message 2: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments We definitely need to find alternative forms of energy. They have estimated that in teh next 200 years we will have used up all of the planets fossil fuels!

Hydroelectric power, and wind power are what we should be focusing on. The burning of fossil fuels is killing the ozone layer, and polluting our air! Hydroelectric power has minimal downsides to it, if any, yet we are so stuck on using oil!!

urgh!

message 3: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 44 comments ok so you are deffinately pro

message 4: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) i think geothermal is good, then the one where you burn trash, that emits a bit of pollution, but less than fossil fuels, and you dont have tons of trash...

then wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, solar, they all dont work everywhere so you would have to choose according to where you are, like geo thermal in hawii, and hydroelectric by big rivers..

message 5: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Well it emits moe than a bit of pollution. In fact it damages teh air quality of a specific region drastically.

message 6: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Chandani wrote: "Well it emits moe than a bit of pollution. In fact it damages teh air quality of a specific region drastically."

but you can make it so it goes underground or oh i dont know i studied it 2 years ago. it wasnt something i rememberes

message 7: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Its true that hydroelectric power and wind power are subjective to geographical place, but solar power is not. Hydroelectric power can fuel places with heavy rivers, and mon soons. Wind power, in windy places like Chicago. Solar power in arizona!!

message 8: by Alex (new)

Alex (bigalreno) | 86 comments I do not care

message 9: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Chandani wrote: "Its true that hydroelectric power and wind power are subjective to geographical place, but solar power is not. Hydroelectric power can fuel places with heavy rivers, and mon soons. Wind power, in w..."

it is, like you can still get it but not alot of the time.

message 10: by Keith (new)

Keith (keifer) | 137 comments hey could you explain hydroelectric power for nubies who dont understand topic plz

message 11: by Jayda (new)

Jayda I don't think that we should be limited to alternative energy, but I'm all for it as well. But along with that we should be allowed to drill where oil is found and is known to be (*coughAlaskacough*).

message 12: by Chandani (last edited Apr 25, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments Sarah jean wrote: "Chandani wrote: "Its true that hydroelectric power and wind power are subjective to geographical place, but solar power is not. Hydroelectric power can fuel places with heavy rivers, and mon soons..."

Burning waste emits the most deadly manmade toxin on earth called dioxin, and a LOT of it. Though geothermal has benifits it is extremely toxic and backfires on the plan of trying to save the environment.

message 13: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Chandani wrote: "Sarah jean wrote: "Chandani wrote: "Its true that hydroelectric power and wind power are subjective to geographical place, but solar power is not. Hydroelectric power can fuel places with heavy r..."

its not toxic realy, and we have a NEVER ENDING supply.

like solar energy...

I think hydro-whats it callled. (sorry i am probably realy stupid right now i woke upp 4 minute ago)

in washing ton theres lots of places to get it.

message 14: by Chandani (new)

Chandani  (milkduds920) | 6408 comments I just said that it was the most toxic man made substance known to science and then you said "its not toxic really"

message 15: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) geo thermal?

i never heard of it being realy toxic

message 16: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 169 comments I think alternative energy sources are exactly the thing we need!
We need to start creating more jobs for Americans, especially in the economic state we're in!
What better way to do it than this!?

With all the research being done, every method will eventually create far greater efficient energy at a lower cost!

And best of all we get to keep our natural resources :)

message 17: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 169 comments Jayda wrote: "I don't think that we should be limited to alternative energy, but I'm all for it as well. But along with that we should be allowed to drill where oil is found and is known to be (*coughAlaskacough*)."

And what happens when we use up all the oil in Alaska too? Back to foreign oil? Or scrounging our shores for more?

message 18: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (zoebabii328) | 169 comments Yeah I actually only heard good things about geo-thermal energy. It's supposed to be very environmentally friendly.

And Sarah, you said before hydro-something. Did you mean hydro-electric? lol

message 19: by Jayda (new)

Jayda Jesi wrote: "Jayda wrote: "I don't think that we should be limited to alternative energy, but I'm all for it as well. But along with that we should be allowed to drill where oil is found and is known to be (*co..."

Back to oil in other places in America. There's plenty of oil on American soil and since we've never drilled in Alaska we'd have oil for plenty of years before it actually ran out. We have Alaska and some off of the coast of Florida, plenty more all around.

message 20: by Sarah jean (new)

Sarah jean  blank (Sarahjean) Jesi wrote: "Yeah I actually only heard good things about geo-thermal energy. It's supposed to be very environmentally friendly.

And Sarah, you said before hydro-something. Did you mean hydro-electric? lol"

yeah chandani corected me :) yes thats what i meant

message 21: by Steven (new)

Steven is, but is not so. (vansnug) | 10 comments Alternative Energy does NOT mean that it is Renewable. Nuclear power can be considered as Alternative energy but it is a far cry from Renewable. Are we discussing about Alternative or Renewable energy here?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "Alternative Energy does NOT mean that it is Renewable. Nuclear power can be considered as Alternative energy but it is a far cry from Renewable. Are we discussing about Alternative or Renewable ene..."

WHY ARE YOU CAPITALIZING THE WORDS ALTERNATIVE AND RENEWABLE?

message 23: by Davis (new)

Davis (davismattek) | 3837 comments I have a book you need to read Jayda, it may help you get a little objectivity when it comes to oil.

message 24: by Steven (new)

Steven is, but is not so. (vansnug) | 10 comments @J Gyahahahahahahaha. Look who's talking. :-)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Except I had a reason for capitalizing everything. You, on the other hand, just capitalized those two words when it wasn't necessary.

message 26: by Steven (new)

Steven is, but is not so. (vansnug) | 10 comments J wrote: "Except I had a reason for capitalizing everything. You, on the other hand, just capitalized those two words when it wasn't necessary."

I had a reason for what you think it wasn't necessary. By the way, DO NOT throw a Red Herring here.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Whatever your reason, it's grammatically incorrect.

I'm not.

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 7365 comments Mod
Maybe he did it just to annoy you. Chillax.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Hamster wheel power all the way.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

If all public gyms were hooked up to generators, it would be a win.

message 31: by Erik (last edited Jun 26, 2009 02:33PM) (new)

Erik (charkol) Paige wrote: "Totally. Or harness up all of the people that are against it and send them deep under the crust of the earth to ride bicycles and walk in circles all day to create the energy. LOL"

Wasn't that in a movie or commercial or something? I remember seeing two guys with ridiculously massive legs having a shift change of riding the bike that was powering the world.

message 32: by Erik (new)

Erik (charkol) it must have been years ago, i don't watch much tv either.

message 33: by Erik (new)

Erik (charkol) Aneutronic fusion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneutron...
is a good way to get rid of some of the nuclear waste that we have been creating.

message 34: by Steven (new)

Steven is, but is not so. (vansnug) | 10 comments Paige wrote: "I mean, we have better solutions but we have not put them into action on a scale that would make a difference."

I agree 100% with you there. We are blinded by our addiction to oil and other unrenewable energy sources. Big Oil and Dirty Coal want to keep it that way, so they can get more money selling "almost depleted" resources. We should have been wake up after the crisis in the 70's. I am afraid that the next crisis will be the point of no return.