twilight lovers! discussion

New Moon Movie > New Moon "Halted" due to lawsuit

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (last edited Apr 20, 2009 09:08AM) (new)

Faith | 84 comments Just saw this on Yahoo UK News....

"Twilight sequel New Moon has been thrown into jeopardy - author Stephenie Meyer is facing a plagiarism lawsuit over the vampire franchise, according to reports. The original 2008 movie - starring Robert Pattinson - was a major international hit and has spawned a follow-up which is currently being shot in Canada. The film franchise is based on the popular book series, written by Meyer.

But production on the second film has reportedly been halted following claims Meyer is facing legal action from her former college roommate, who is said to have accused the writer of basing the books on her ideas.

According to I'mnotobsessed.com, Heidi Stanton - who studied alongside Meyer at Brigham Young University, Utah - claims the vampire books are similar to a short story she wrote when she was a student there.

Stanton filed her lawsuit against Meyer in Utah last Tuesday, alleging idea infringement.

She states in the papers, "Quite frankly, I was shocked when I began watching the movie with my husband last week. I immediately told him that she got that idea from me! I wrote a fictional short story with the same ideas when we were in college together."

Meyer claims the premise for the popular series came to her in a dream in 2003 and she completed the first novel three months later.

And the legal battle has reportedly cast doubt on the highly-anticipated New Moon, with production being "put on hold" until the case is resolved, according to the website.

New Moon is scheduled for release at the end of the year."

What does this mean for the film New Moon? Is there any truth to this story?

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments OMG!! What... I thought that Steph copied another author alraedy but this is.... wow.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) NO! NO! NO! *stomps foot and storms out of forum*

I think any time a book hits this magnitude of "bigness" - I mean, we're talking millions of copies of books sold worldwide, translated into 20 languages (or 37 languages, I've seen varying numbers in different interviews), one best-selling movie, a second movie on the way (and if fans have their way, there will be 4 movies)... I think this was only to be expected. My thought is that SM has true talent. If you think about and assume that she is guilty... it still takes a huge amount of talent to turn a short story into 4 books. Not that I think the plagiarism charge has much merit. I'm following the constitutional ruling of "innocent until proven guilty".

message 4: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Stephanie | 4175 comments Mod
There is nothing on Stephenies website or on Newmoonmovie.org....this would really suck!!

message 5: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (last edited Apr 20, 2009 12:56PM) (new)

Here's what I was able to find...

Rumor Control: Stephenie Meyer Being Sued

04/19/09 at 03:04 pm

OK, we are going to go out on a limb on this one even though it’s Sunday and getting an official comment is practically impossible.

On April 10th the oh so scholarly and reliable Max-Dan-Wiz site runs a story supposedly obtained from the AP claiming Stephenie Meyer stole the idea for Twilight from her former college roommate, said roommate is suing her, A BYU professor is backing the roommate, and production has halted on New Moon.

OK let’s take this out step by step:

* Article appeared on April 10: filming has gone on since that date most notably Friday when Vancity Allie got pictures of the cast in Bella’s Birthday party attire.
* The article claims an AP wire as their source. We can find no such record of this on the AP.
* The article claims Dr. Peter Benton now head of the BYU English Department is backing the claim. There is no Dr. Peter Benton at BYU (but he was a character on ER or a few seasons).
* Stephenie’s supposed former roommate must be living under the biggest rock ever if in Salt Lake City of all places she is only just now hearing that her former roommate’s success is based on a vampire novel.
* Vampire short story in the BYU curriculum…yeah…I’m sure the BYU undergrads wrote lots of vampire tales 15 years ago right along with all those stories involving lots of swearing, drinking, and pre-marital sex.

So who fell for this nonsense?

The Insider who thought for whatever reason it was a good idea to let fans upload stories and have it appear as if it were an official The Insider story. The site is reporting the story as fact, and is also running the story with the fan made poster WITH A TURKEY in the corner as if it were real. On a quick glance other news outlets who don’t read the fine print to realize this is a fan uploaded story are linking to this story.

Others who fell for this include:

…the list goes on. Run the words “Dr. Peter Benton and BYU” and “Heidi Stanton and BYU” though a Google search and you get tons more links.

EDITED: Official comment from Summit Entertainment regarding the portion of the story as it specifically refers to filming is as follows: “This rumor is certainly NOT true. Please let your readers know.”

EDITED: Official comment from Stephenie Meyer’s publisher regarding the portion of the story that refers to the lawsuit:

“This story is false.”

*Note the story on the Max-Dan-Wiz site has now been removed.

message 6: by Sherry (last edited Apr 20, 2009 01:09PM) (new)

Sherry (ninneschong) Steph ~ I am so glad I'm not the only one looking a little further. Here's the story I found: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b1195...

message 7: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Thanks Sherry!!

message 8: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments Wow... that's probably the best formulated rumor I've ever heard. Seriously!`

message 9: by Faith (new)

Faith | 84 comments if u think about it, even if it wasn't a fake rumour, who would take that long to sue?? Come on everyone knows about twilight!

message 10: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 44 comments Who makes this stuff up?

message 11: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments wooh! that scared me 4 a sec. i was about to write a very colorful response, but now... *sighs in DEEP DEEP DEEP relief!*

message 12: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments Lolz.

message 13: by Nava Cullen (new)

Nava Cullen (thetanvampire) | 176 comments hey should i read the percy jackson books?

message 14: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments YES!!!!! They are SOO good and SOO funny!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Nava Cullen wrote: "hey should i read the percy jackson books?"

YOU MUST READ THEM!!!!!!!!! AS A FRIEND I SAY READ THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 16: by I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa*, and Twilight! (new)

I ♥ Luke Castellan *Alexa* (i_love_jacob_black_95) | 3164 comments YES!!!!!! They are like.. a mix of fantasy, humor, romance, adventure, action, and alot more! (Of course greek gods)
You don't even have to know about the greek gods to read them. Like I was SO clueless before, but I actually learned alot reading the books.

message 17: by Faith (new)

Faith | 84 comments Ashley wrote: "No, have you guys even checked her site!?

I am not being sued. No one has contacted me or my publisher to inform either of us that I'm being sued. I never had a roommate named Heidi. There is no p..."

Hey Ashley, I may be wrong but i think that Stephenie's message was posted after the original post :)

message 18: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Sure was...lol.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

STill a rumor.......i think

message 20: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Oh yeah its just a rumor!! Thank god!

message 21: by Stephanie, Loves Vamps and Werewolves but Zombies scare me!! (new)

Oh yeah its just a rumor!! Thank god!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank goodness.

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica (thppjfan) I agree, im like NOOOOOOOOOOO. But when you think about the facts, you think of questions like
Why is she just reporting this now?
I mean if someone was sueing Twilight it would have probably been done a long time ago, i mean the books came out 4 years ago!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily1104) i cant beleive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont think that stephanie stole that girls story, stephanie is a genious at writing and that other girl is probably just trying to get money!!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Erica wrote: "I agree, im like NOOOOOOOOOOO. But when you think about the facts, you think of questions like
Why is she just reporting this now?
I mean if someone was sueing Twilight it would have probably bee..."

i know!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "i cant beleive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont think that stephanie stole that girls story, stephanie is a genious at writing and that other girl is probably just trying to get money!!!"

thats what i told my friend.

message 27: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments oh when i read the first post i started to freak out but now its cleared up for me

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

i know

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

YEA
rumor it is and we WIll see the movie.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

COOL!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

yea

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

^_^

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments thats is really good

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

uh huh

message 35: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments what?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

what what?!

message 37: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments idk

message 38: by Erin (new)

Erin (ErinRenae) uve got to be kidding me!

message 39: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments what?

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily (emily1104) it not true

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

???

message 42: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments kk

message 43: by Erica (new)

Erica (thppjfan) ooooooooooooooooooook

message 44: by Meg (new)

Meg  | 165 comments yeah