Team Twilight discussion

New Moon "Halted" over lawsuit

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faith (new)

Faith | 77 comments Just seen this on Yahoo UK....

"Twilight sequel New Moon has been thrown into jeopardy - author Stephenie Meyer is facing a plagiarism lawsuit over the vampire franchise, according to reports. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Enlarge photo The original 2008 movie - starring Robert Pattinson - was a major international hit and has spawned a follow-up which is currently being shot in Canada. The film franchise is based on the popular book series, written by Meyer.

But production on the second film has reportedly been halted following claims Meyer is facing legal action from her former college roommate, who is said to have accused the writer of basing the books on her ideas.

According to I'mnotobsessed.com, Heidi Stanton - who studied alongside Meyer at Brigham Young University, Utah - claims the vampire books are similar to a short story she wrote when she was a student there.

Stanton filed her lawsuit against Meyer in Utah last Tuesday, alleging idea infringement.

She states in the papers, "Quite frankly, I was shocked when I began watching the movie with my husband last week. I immediately told him that she got that idea from me! I wrote a fictional short story with the same ideas when we were in college together."

Meyer claims the premise for the popular series came to her in a dream in 2003 and she completed the first novel three months later.

And the legal battle has reportedly cast doubt on the highly-anticipated New Moon, with production being "put on hold" until the case is resolved, according to the website.

New Moon is scheduled for release at the end of the year."

If this is true what does it mean for the New Moon film. How long would it take for it to be sorted? Is there any truth to the story?

What are your thoughts?

message 2: by Arthur (new)

Arthur No, the movie was vastly different from the first book. Obviously there were few similarities. In fact I assume that it was a screen play and story copycatting by the director. How can Meyer's old roommate claim a short story include New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn? oh I admit the story is like other books in originality. My favorite is how Edward is a cross by an elf than a vampire, I assume that isn't true either. What research Meyer must have had to do was probably her own work not some roommate.

message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 77 comments I agree with you about the book being different than the book. It seems a little strange to me that this "Old" roommate comes out the woodwork years later - the books been a big hit for a few years now in the US - and she finally decides to see the movie and realises it has the same ideas??? Come on! If you knew someone from school/college/work who made it famous, wouldn't you be kind of curious? And even if you weren't i think everyone has heard at least the basic facts about the book by now, wouldn't she have realised sooner?

message 4: by Caz (new)

Caz (cazk) The room-mate is in it for the money I bet yeah!

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Here's what I was able to find...

Rumor Control: Stephenie Meyer Being Sued

04/19/09 at 03:04 pm

OK, we are going to go out on a limb on this one even though it’s Sunday and getting an official comment is practically impossible.

On April 10th the oh so scholarly and reliable Max-Dan-Wiz site runs a story supposedly obtained from the AP claiming Stephenie Meyer stole the idea for Twilight from her former college roommate, said roommate is suing her, A BYU professor is backing the roommate, and production has halted on New Moon.

OK let’s take this out step by step:

* Article appeared on April 10: filming has gone on since that date most notably Friday when Vancity Allie got pictures of the cast in Bella’s Birthday party attire.
* The article claims an AP wire as their source. We can find no such record of this on the AP.
* The article claims Dr. Peter Benton now head of the BYU English Department is backing the claim. There is no Dr. Peter Benton at BYU (but he was a character on ER or a few seasons).
* Stephenie’s supposed former roommate must be living under the biggest rock ever if in Salt Lake City of all places she is only just now hearing that her former roommate’s success is based on a vampire novel.
* Vampire short story in the BYU curriculum…yeah…I’m sure the BYU undergrads wrote lots of vampire tales 15 years ago right along with all those stories involving lots of swearing, drinking, and pre-marital sex.

So who fell for this nonsense?

The Insider who thought for whatever reason it was a good idea to let fans upload stories and have it appear as if it were an official The Insider story. The site is reporting the story as fact, and is also running the story with the fan made poster WITH A TURKEY in the corner as if it were real. On a quick glance other news outlets who don’t read the fine print to realize this is a fan uploaded story are linking to this story.

Others who fell for this include:

…the list goes on. Run the words “Dr. Peter Benton and BYU” and “Heidi Stanton and BYU” though a Google search and you get tons more links.

EDITED: Official comment from Summit Entertainment regarding the portion of the story as it specifically refers to filming is as follows: “This rumor is certainly NOT true. Please let your readers know.”

EDITED: Official comment from Stephenie Meyer’s publisher regarding the portion of the story that refers to the lawsuit:

“This story is false.”

*Note the story on the Max-Dan-Wiz site has now been removed.

message 6: by Faith (new)

Faith | 77 comments well done steph!

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Yeah...I admit I was freaking out for a minute there. That crap would through the whole movie series off schedual!!

message 8: by Caz (new)

Caz (cazk) Anything just for a story!