Bangladesh discussion

Ajaira Pechal > Today's kids don't read books

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (last edited Jan 22, 2008 09:58AM) (new)

Russell John (russelljohn) | 36 comments Mod
Ajanta apu brought up a very important issue, which is people now a days doesn't read much books.

For instance, I've a bunch of cousins who are 6 years to 12 years old, and I never see them reading any books except for their textbooks. When I was a kid, I used to read a lot of books, and I still have them on my shelf. I've got some of the finest books for children, but they never want to get them from me. I scolded them few times and forced them to take some books from me, but it didn't work out. They would rather watch movies and musical shows on Hindi channels, and play all the day long, but do not have the slightest interest to read books.

I used to read Tintin comics just like my friends, and today's kids watch it on cartoon network. When I used to read Tintin, I use to imagine a lot of things, tried to figure out what will happen next, and so on, which indeed helped me to increase my creativity. But now they are watching it on TV, which doesn't give them any scope to think -- they just watch and enjoy. Visual media is good of coarse good, but if you think carefully, it's harming them in a way... limiting their ability to think and to get creative.

I've complains against the grownups as well. I mentioned earlier that I'm a computer person, and whatever knowledge I've acquired is by reading books and tons of tutorials online -- reading it online is like reading a book too, cause I'm actually *reading* it! But I've came across a lot of engineering students who simply don't want to read anything other than their textbooks... and only the selective chapters/sections that are in their syllabus. So if they don't read books, then how are they going to gain knowledge? In todays competitive world, learning and gaining knowledge is a necessity. But do they realise this? Look at the Bangladeshi doctors... why are they so dumb? A major reason is that they don't read books and medical journals after they graduate from the medical school. Technology is advancing, and in order to stay updated it is a *must* to read and learn. These poor chaps think they knows enough -- and therefor they never open a book.

Anyway, I could write more, but I better stop here as the post is getting big. Please share your thoughts. If you think I'm wrong, then let me know. :)

message 2: by Fahima (new)

Fahima Momtaj | 3 comments Don't get so mad on them.

About children:
If they get everything on tv then why will they want to read book and most important thing is if they dont find those book interesting its not their fault; you said they dont wanna read book, then what about 'Harry Potter' most of the children like this book,even in Bangladesh.

And adult:
You know what, most of the people here (Dont know abt other countries) afraid of books, cause when they were child they have to swallowed text book to pass the exam or cause of their parents threatend, dont have any choice to express their feeling abt tht book, that's why I guess when they grow up they have tht horrible feelings abt book and dont even want to touch them either.

message 3: by Russell (new)

Valid points, Fahima apu. Any more views?

message 4: by Aumee (last edited Jan 23, 2008 01:00AM) (new)

Aumee | 39 comments This is a very important issue not just in Bangladesh but all over the world.
T.V. and computers have taken over the recreational feild.....however even though Fahima apu and Aji have a point....to some extend i feel that its the parents fault for not encourageing their children.there are plenty of books with pictures so that the children wont feel bored reading them. the mistake most parents and educational institutes make is forcing children to read set books rather than encourageing them to read what intrests them.
my dad used to tell my sister and me that if we read ____ many books this week..he'd take us out for pizza or some sort(basically something that we dont normally do). he called it "providing incentive"....i call it bribing....same difference. why did it work?? cuz he never specified what book...all he said was read any book you like.i did the same thing to my little sis...she was like any other kid (TV maniac)....until one day i bought her this Barbie storybook(she adores barbie) and promised her if she finished it, i'd get her another one......my sister now reads "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", "Matilda", "Bridge to Teribithia" and other longer books....ones WITHOUT pics....and she's in class 3.
I'm working on my student now...he's in class 5.he also does NOT like reading.....but i've started him off on Baily School Kids.....these books are fun and have pics......soon i'm gonna move him to goosebumps.......
Anyway, my point is, this is one of those problems everyone discusses but very few try to fix.....but the thing is....there is a solution,all we need to do is try to use it.I mean as older kids...not quite adults...we still make an impression on them....especially "bhaia's" and "apu's". bhaia ei korse bhaia oi korse......apu eta bolse apu ota bolse....if we can show them indirectly that we love reading and we gain so much from it, the future generations still have a chance........
NERD POWER!!!!LOL!!!!

message 5: by Aumee (last edited Jan 23, 2008 07:17AM) (new)

Aumee | 39 comments Honestly....its a lot easier to mold clay when its still soft......
what i mean is promie is at an age where she has just got her freedom....so she wont do anything you suggest or advice......i'd say try romance but that might bhorkafy her.....you could try Sweet Valley High or Signet Regency Romances. on another note.....you could tell her that Habib loves to read....that would get her started!
try giving aunty Rabindranath, Kazi Nazrul........ you know books that were popular in their time.
as for hasan bhai, try finding out subj that intrest him....and give him books mojorly of that genre.
oh! and ur student...dont bother. baba ma jodi discourage kore, ototuk meyeke tui boi poranor habit korate parbi na.
matobbori korlam ajanta apu....mind korle ba chetle....i'm sorry.

message 6: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments actually......i can 'see' things. i found a picture of u on msn and.....'saw'..........
(it's a secret so dont spread it, ok? )

message 7: by Aumee (new)

Aumee | 39 comments geeeee
i NEVER thought if it THAT way............go-o-o-o-olly!!
yes, as afore mentioned ignore us completely,we're just a bit nutters thats all....we wont try to kill to you all in your sleep or anything.....so no worries.
sweet dreams!!
*grins evily* mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha

message 8: by Russell (new)

Very interesting points... I think I got the answer to my question.