Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > What books would you recommend to your sister?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments My sister is a huge reader. She recently emailed me and said she had just finished a couple great books and was jonesing for a good read. She wanted me to recommend some fiction and memoir she might like.

I sent her this email ... thought I'd share it with ya'll and ask: What books would you recommend to your sister?

Hi Ann,

I don't know if you've read any of these [she'd only read one, she told me in a return email:], but I think you'll dig most of them.

THE HOUSE OF THE SPIRITS & DAUGHTER OF FORTUNE by Isabelle Allende (I know you liked ZORRO; have you read these?)

WATER FOR ELEPHANTS by Sarah Gruen (historical novel; a great read)

THE VIRGIN SUICIDES by Jeffrey Eugenedies (since you loved MIDDLESEX)

THE GUARDIANS by Ana Castillo (a novel that takes place on the U.S./Mexico border)

WONDERBOYS by Michael Chabon (it's a great movie too)

CONTINENTAL DRIFT by James Houston (I knew him & loved him...am very sad he died 2 days ago ... you might like it because it takes place in Santa Cruz in the 1970s)... He wrote a lot of books about California and Hawaii, including one about the Donner Party and one about the Hawaiian King dying in California...sometimes I have a problem with his writing because it can be a little dry, but his topics are GREAT. His wife was in a Japanese internment camp and together they wrote her memoir, FAREWELL TO MANZANAR.

THE BOOK OF SALT by Monique Tran ... historical novel about the Vietnamese chef to the famous writer Gertrude Stein; takes place in France mid-century.

THE CACTUS EATERS by Dan White ... very funny memoir about walking the Pacific Crest Trail...I know Dan, he's kind of like a literary Woody Allen.

BASTARD OUT OF CAROLINA by Dorothy Allison (a classic novel; brutal but brilliant)

SHE'S NOT THERE by Jennifer Finney Boylan (a funny, poignant very well-written memoir about a man who undergoes a sex change)

WHITE OLEANDER and PAINT IT BLACK by Janet Fitch (two novels that are hard to put down)

Love,
your sistah

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa "The Mighty Queens of Freeville" by Amy Dickinson. My sister, sadly, is not a big reader so nothing heavy or too thought provoking for her.

message 3: by Marsha (last edited Apr 19, 2009 08:57PM) (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Gee, I just wish either of my sisters were readers. They didn't even read to their children, and my niece and nephews would rather eat dirt than read a book.

message 4: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) My sisters were here this weekend and these are the recommendations they had for me.

My sister Wendy Suggested:
Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina Garcia

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

My sister Cathy Suggested:
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, Bagram Ibatoulline

The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

I am suggested:
The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

I am pushing that book on everyone.

message 5: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Cecilia wrote: "My sisters were here this weekend and these are the recommendations they had for me.

My sister Wendy Suggested:
Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina Garcia

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

My s..."

Me, too, Cecilia. The School of Essential Ingredients was, to me, a fabulous book. I push it to everyone (together with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society). To me, those two books are books to give away as a gift.

message 6: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Kate wrote: "My sister is a huge reader. She recently emailed me and said she had just finished a couple great books and was jonesing for a good read. She wanted me to recommend some fiction and memoir she mi..."

Oh, Kate, this is a good question and yours is a very good list. My sister and I have very different tasts in books and we find very little in common - she likes Danielle Steel and Jodi Picoult and I do not. I like Sharon Kay Penman and not so much in the way of chick-lit. I will take some recommendations from this list - The Book of Salt and The Guardians sound especially good. I have read White Oleander and Paint It Black - very good. I have your book on my TBR list and will purchase it and read it this Summer (once I move to GA and get settled in I will have a lot more time). Thanks for the great question and the great list.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli My sister doesn't read either...I wish she would. She's young though (21 yrs old) so maybe someday she'll learn to enjoy it.

I also really loved The School of Essential Ingredients...what a good little gem of book.... wasn't it?

message 8: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Well I have 6 sisters and we all read. I have to say though we gravitate towards different things. I would say though that The Guernsey book everyone would like...including my mother. :)

message 9: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I really liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society too, but not for my sisters. We have such different reading taste that, they both like to cook so The School of Essential Ingredients, so apart from being a fabulous book worked for them. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society, I have passed on to my friends. I still like The School of Essential Ingredients much better.

message 10: by Kate (new)

Kate | 96 comments I have 2 sisters. One who reads, one who doesn't. Sometimes I think if you find the right book for the right person, you can turn them into a reader. But that hasn't yet proven to be true for my other sister, even though I keep nudging certain books her way.

I love talking books with Ann, my sister who does read. Here are some books we both enjoyed and talked a lot about:

* Wally Lamb's 3 novels
* The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
* Middlesex by Eugenedies
* A number of novels and memoirs by Isabelle Allende
* March by Geraldine Brooks (this novel is a retelling of LITTLE WOMEN from the point of view of the father--and we both loved LITTLE WOMEN as girls)

One of my favorite childhood memories is when my sister and I were given the whole HAPPY HOLLISTER series of books (which are about a family with five kids who solve mysteries). One summer we read through the whole stack, sitting up every night in oru beds in our shared room. That was the start of our sisterly "book group."

Wanda, I'm jealous you haven't yet read The Book of Salt...I'd love to read it again for the first time! Another novel that portrays a literary person that I think is phenomenal is THE MASTER by Colm Toibin. It imagines the interior life of Henry James.

Elizabeth (Alaska) I don't know what my sister reads, and that's a shame. But what I would recommend to reading "sisters" everywhere are these:

The Red Tent for it's celebration of that which binds us together

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan A Novel for friendship

Rise and Shine A Novel for loyalty between sisters; and

The Patron Saint of Liars because we all have something to give to each other

message 12: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments My sister doesn't read a lot but she will if a book is recommended to her. Here are books I recommended to her and she loved...

Firefly Lane
Savannah Blues
Sam's Letters to Jennifer
Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
The Devil Wears Prada
The Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul
Bookends A Novel
Not to mention the whole Shopaholic Series

And some that I recently recommended but am sure she hasn't read yet...

My Sister's Keeper
True Colors
Change of Heart

message 13: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments A Good Memoir is The Glass Castle A Memoir

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy (joy85) | 94 comments Marsha wrote: "Gee, I just wish either of my sisters were readers. They didn't even read to their children, and my niece and nephews would rather eat dirt than read a book."

That's so sad, Marsha!

My sister is fourteen, and totally into the Twilight books, which I really can't bring myself to care about. I recommended her Meg Cabot's teen books, which I still totally read, by the way, and she absorbed them! I'm glad that she's finally starting to read, for which I do have to give Twilight credit. I'm a huge Cabot fan, so it's cool that even though we're so far apart age-wise, we can still discuss her books.