Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Archived Threads > Help me choose!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by new_user (last edited Apr 24, 2009 12:41AM) (new)

new_user Okay, ladies. So I was browsing PBS (Paperback Swap) for IR books, and I think I've narrowed down my choices to these books. I'm going to choose two.

Unfinished Business
Red Sky
A Twist Of Fate

You all know best. ;) So what can you tell me about these authors?

message 2: by PT (last edited Apr 19, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments I have only read Twist of Fate. I remember liking the plot, but being a little disappointed because the copy I got was missing some pages. OK, this isn't very helpful so I'll just shut up.

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
Just be careful with Twist of Fate (it's not exactly as things seem). Having said that, it's a good book if you don't mind the above. If you want more information and don't mind a spoiler, let me know.

message 4: by new_user (last edited Apr 20, 2009 06:04PM) (new)

new_user Hmmm... well, is it a Jerry Springer kind of twist where she's really his mama's sister's cousin or a it was all a dream or three lifetimes ago kind of twist or is there paranormal/magic involved? LOL. I'm leaning towards Sky and Twist right now.

message 5: by new_user (last edited Apr 20, 2009 06:20PM) (new)

new_user Is it the prerequisite "I object to this IR couple" kind of conflict?

It all sounds so mysterious, LOL. I think I'm going to take a chance on Twist of Fate and Red Sky.

message 6: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments Oh, I have read Unfinished Business and I liked it. I was thinking of the book Unexpected Interruptions, which I haven't read. I really like Karyn Langhorne books. She's a good writer.
Was there a twist in "Twist of Fate?" I don't remember any twists if it's the usual one that annoys the heck of me.

message 7: by new_user (last edited Apr 20, 2009 08:18PM) (new)

new_user I think I'll forego Twist of Fate then. I'm not in the mood for that type of conflict (seeing as how I'm reading that now) and it seems super short too (200 pg. on Amazon).

So Unfinished Business it is! Thanks, ladies! :D

PS. I would also like to read Unexpected Interruptions, LOL.

message 8: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments I never joined PBS because I have never found an available copy of ANY book that I have wanted to read.

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, they're sadly short on IR.

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user I got Red Sky in the mail today, yay! This is exciting, LOL. I can't think of a better surprise to find in your mailbox than a book (except perhaps some jewelry, LOL). Sure beats the bills, that's for sure, LOL.

message 11: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments I ordered some books from Amazon the other day. Not the I need them. But it is nice to expect something in the mail besides bills. I remember how when I was younger, I loved getting letters in the mail. I haven't had one is years now. Email is not the same. There's no effort really involved in it. Plus, letters are just cool.
Do they still have pen pals? I need one of those.

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user So true. Email is not the same. I sent a care package to a friend not too long ago. It was fun, shopping and selecting the stuff to send her. I know she's not getting it where she is right now, out in bufu, MO. LOL. We did a bookmark exchange in another group here on GR too, that was fun.

You guys get on PBS, LOL. Then maybe we can get the books we want. Check out my swappable shelf here at GR. :D

message 13: by Arch , Mod (new)

Arch  | 6620 comments Mod
Pen Pals were good back in the day. I had a Japanese pen pal.

I use to be on PBS, but I left.

message 14: by PT (new)

PT (spinsterpt) | 319 comments PBS stands for paperback swap. It's a web site were you can offer to swap your books for someone else's. You have to pay to ship to send the book to the other person, but you get a point for your swap that you can use to get someone else to ship a book to you free of charge. It's a great idea, but I never find any of the many books I want. Occassionally, I find them at Half Price Books or my local library, but mainly I pay for mine.

message 15: by new_user (last edited Apr 24, 2009 12:42AM) (new)

new_user LOL, Eugenia, I can see the temptation to keep all the books, but the hunger to read more usually outweighs that for me.

Arch, why did you leave PBS?

message 16: by Arch , Mod (new)

I've left PBS, because I felt that I would be paying more money to send out a book, then if I was doing it on my own. Plus, on PBS it's not just swapping you are doing. You are giving the person your book to keep. If you wanted to send more than one book at a cheaper price, you would have to pay PBS $10.00, plus pay to ship the books out.

I've sent buddies books that were on their wishlist. I've received books by buddies as well.

How does Swap works on here? If we wanted to swap books, does that mean, the next person gets to keep our books?

I might have an out of print book that a buddy might want to read. That doesn't mean that I want to give the book away. Or someone might have a interracial book that my library doesn't carry and I want to read. I don't want that person to give me the book.

message 17: by Arch , Mod (new)

I read books over again, only if I liked the characters and story.

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user Well then, that's probably a good thing that most of the books you own are books you enjoyed and would reread. You're getting good use out of them. :)

Arch, when you swap you trade a book for another. You could always request your books back, but you would have to pay the shipping costs again. It's still cheaper than buying new. Of course, you can always decide to gift, lend, or sell your books too.

message 19: by Arch , Mod (new)

New_User, on PBS, are you saying that when you post a book and someone wants it, they will have to send you one of their books for your book?

Many of my books that I buy from the library are new books. Many of them are books that have recently came out. I guess the person didn't like them and donated them to the library. I pay dirt cheap for new books.

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Well, when you send a book you get a credit that you can apply to request a book, basically. You can request from anyone.

Yeah, I've gotten some new books from those sales. They're awesome, but so far, no IR at my libraries. :(

message 21: by Arch , Mod (last edited Apr 24, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Every blue moon, I might find an IR (BWWM) book New_User. I hope to find one at the booksale tomorrow.

message 22: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments Trade my books??????????? hmmmmmm I don't think so. I would be glad to give away a couple I've got, that were absolute disappointments, but 99% of the books I've bought I want to keep.

message 23: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments BTW New_User, I'm on the 3rd Darkyn book now and I love em. I must say that Michael and Alex are now one of my fave IR couples. What I'm finding though is that I'm sorta skipping over pages to get to the good parts i.e the Michael and Alex parts!

I hope she doesn't find a cure!

message 24: by new_user (last edited May 04, 2009 11:30AM) (new)

new_user LOL, Justine! But then you'll be missing all the yummy Lucan parts! ;) I think Viehl's Alex and Michael are my fave IR so far.

message 25: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments New_User: I've got a major bone to pick with you!!!!!!!!! How dare you inform me of these books?!?!?1!!! My gawwwwwwwdddddddddd I can't put them down. I'm hooked and I do not have an addictive personality. At least it didn't show up till before now!!!! I'm on the 4th one. My apartment remains uncleaned. My pantry and fridge bare. Laundry still at the side of the room.... What da hell have you done to me??!?!?!?

What secret is Michael hiding about himself? Is he Louis XIV or something?

OK - I'm reading every word on every page slowly.!!!!!! Just so that I don't miss anything

message 26: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Justine! Fua ha ha ha ha, now you can share my addiction! LMAO. I think she likes to keep you on your toes just for kicks. It is intriguing the way she spins history, isn't it?

message 27: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments It certainly is. Did you notice the spin on the Robin Hood/Guy of Gisbourne saga? Pretty neat huh?

message 28: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I loved that. Guy should've gotten his own book, LOL.

message 29: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments I went down to Borders yesterday and read thru all the rest of the series - well at least the parts that had Michael and Alex

message 30: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! That's cheating, dude. xD What about the other chars? That kind of spoils it, doesn't it? Now that you know the end of the overall plot.

message 31: by Justine (new)

Justine | 1275 comments oh no - not at all. :-) i have to read the end of a book before i get there. coz if it doesn't end right -i don't want to read it. if it ends wrong - i spend too many days being pissed and disappointed.

i've only read the michael/alex parts. when i go back to read the entire book it will still be fresh since i didn't read about the other characters. I'm on the 4th now. this one is sort of dragging though

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, yeah, I know what you mean! Night Lost was my least favorite, but there are a lot of people who just love that one. Different strokes, I guess.

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Huxford (blackpanthershay) | 970 comments new_user wrote: "I got Red Sky in the mail today, yay! This is exciting, LOL. I can't think of a better surprise to find in your mailbox than a book (except perhaps some jewelry, LOL). Sure beats the bills, that's ..."

what did you think of Red Sky?

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL. I haven't read it yet, Sharon. *sheepish*

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments Eugenia wrote: "What's PBS, I like the idea of swapping books but i'm really weird about books. I like to buy them, I want to keep them and never give them up. I've never given away a book, at least on purpose, an..."

Same here. I will give away the ones I didn't really care for, but that's about it. I tried PBS for a little while, but left.

message 36: by Arch , Mod (new)

I will be cleaning out my bookshelf soon. I need to get rid of some books.

message 37: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Debbie wrote: "Same here. I will give away the ones I didn't really care for, but that's about it. I tried PBS for a little while, but left. "

Yeah, the swap doesn't give you much books back for the ones you put out. The mooch seems to be more fair cause you get a book for a book out send out, if I'm understanding it correctly.

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 221 comments I hate going to to post office so I stopped doing PBS.