Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Books by Title/Title=topic name > "The General's Daughter" by Nelson DeMille

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments I've never read Nelson's books but Joseph Finder said in his newsletter that his early novels are like a master class in plotting.

I'm giving this one a try.

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Don wrote: "I've never read Nelson's books but Joseph Finder said in his newsletter that his early novels are like a master class in plotting.
I'm giving this one a try."

Hi Don - My notebooks show that I read _The General's Daughter_, by Nelson DeMille, a while ago. But I can't remember much about it, even after reading the Goodreads description. I do have a memory that it was a good read. I don't know why my records don't show that I've read DeMille's other books. I might have, but I don't remember. (I wish I had a better memory!) :)

My sister raves about DeMille's books. Her son told her about them.

BTW, from the Goodreads description, this one sounds like a sizzler!
Below is an excerpt from the description:
=========================================================
"Long before the John Travolta film of The General's Daughter (which the author extols in the foreword), Nelson DeMille's seventh mystery was the breakout hit of his career. The rapid-fire dialogue and scenes are cinematic, and the storytelling puts most movies to shame."
=========================================================

Hmmm, a movie too? I'm putting it on my Netflix queue.
The Netflix movie review says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The General's Daughter(1999) R
Respected Army Gen. Joe Campbell (James Cromwell) is headed for a hero's retirement -- until his daughter is raped and murdered on his military base. Warrant officers and ex-lovers Paul Brenner (John Travolta) and Sara Sunhill (Madeleine Stowe) are given 36 hours to solve the convoluted case, but what they discover could bring the base down in this Simon West-directed thriller based on the novel by Nelson DeMille."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments PS-Below is some trivia, for what it's worth. :)

I just realized (after checking my notebook-list of books I've read) that there are quite a few titles (by a variety of authors) which have the word "daughter" in them. Some of them are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daughter of Fortune
Piano Man's Daughter
Father Melacholy's Daughter
Daughter of Deceit
Mother's and Daughters
The Diplomat's Daughter
Mistral's Daughter
We Are Our Mother's Daughters
This is My Daughter
The Optimist's Daughter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm sure there are many more. Those are just the ones I've read and recorded.

At one point, before I discovered Goodreads, my husband computerized my "Books Read" list. So that's how I was able to quickly search out the above titles.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments The movie was an excellent movie as well. Obviously they had to cut a lot out but they kept to the basic story.

The book was excellent.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Don wrote: "The movie was an excellent movie as well. Obviously they had to cut a lot out but they kept to the basic story.
The book was excellent. "

Thanks for the information, Don.
I appreciate your posts.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The General's Daughter (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Nelson DeMille (other topics)