LDS Ladies Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions > Favorite church related books?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Shauna (new)

Shauna | 12 comments My favorites are:
The Peacegiver by James Ferrell
Believing Christ
Arming your children with the gospel
I also loved the biography of Gordon B. Hinckley
and Spencer W. Kimball.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have so many favorites, but I tend to lean towards books that help me increase my faith. I am rereading M Catherine Thomas' book, Light in the Wilderness- I think it is the most beautifully written, and the most deeply spiritual book I have read. It is a workbook to use with the scriptures. She is a master scriptorian and extremely insightful and a lovely lady. Sue Maxwell

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Also, I usually read more than one book at a time. I am rereading The Blessings of Abraham: Becoming a Zion People. When you read this book, you will understand why we are told to look to Abraham and Sarah- what tremendous examples they were and are. Sue

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 13 comments Wow!! It's been almost 4 years since the last post! lol One of my favorite church books is "Standing for Something" by Gordon B. Hinckley. Awesome!!

Standing for Something 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes by Gordon B. Hinckley

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wilson I just started "The Unfortunate Fall" by Daniel K Judd and am loving it. I also love "No Doubt About It" by Sheri Dew. I'm in the middle of her new book, "Women and the Priesthood" which is great so far. Other books I've enjoyed are: "The Power of Everyday Missionaries" by Clayton Christensen, "The Miracle of Forgiveness" by Spencer W. Kimball, and one of my favorites, "Through His Eyes" by Virginia Pierce.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wilson I commented from my cell phone so none of the books showed up as links. Sorry.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Wilson I almost forgot "The Infinite Atonement" by Tad R. Callister. Amazing read!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm really enjoying The Power of Everyday Missionaries by Clayton Christiansen. I also loved Rough Stone Rolling and President Hinckley's biography by Sheri Dew.

message 11: by Tori (new)

Tori Clare (poochie1) I've just read Bonds that Make us Free by Terry Warner. It was fantastic. Possibly one of the best books I've read. It's changed my life, which is the mark of an excellent book. All good books should change a person. Haven't posted on this group for ages. Hope you're all well.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Has anyone read "Day of Defense"? Day of Defense by Scott Thormaehlen

It was written in the 80's, so it kind of has a condescending tone, but if you can overlook that it's a great read! It centers around two missionaries that are asked a lot of hard questions by members of other churches.

message 13: by LeeAnn (new)

LeeAnn | 5 comments I just finished The Power of Everyday Missionaries and learned so much! It is easy to read and makes you feel like you can do some missionary work.

I am currently reading both Jesus the Christ, by James E. Talmage, and Women of the New Testament, by Camille Fronk, and am really enjoying learning so much. I've taken the challenge to pen essays in answer to the questions at the end of each chapter, but a stimulating discussion would be a lot of fun!

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments LeeAnn wrote: "I just finished The Power of Everyday Missionaries and learned so much! It is easy to read and makes you feel like you can do some missionary work.

I am currently reading both Jesus the Christ, b..."

My husband and I just started Jesus the Christ together as well! It's a hard read, but I'm excited to get into it.

Another awesome New Testament book is The Fifth Gospel by Larry Ward. It takes the four gospels and writes it chronologically, with the Joseph Smith Translations written directly into the text. I think it helps it make a little more sense to me.

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Cook | 1 comments Can anyone tell me if Grant Hardys books , The book of mormon a readers edition and Understanding the book of Mormon are in line with tbe teachings of the church. Ive been hearing mixed reviews.

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Thacker We are doing a book club in relief society and I’ve been tasked with finding a book. It has to be a quick read so shorter and it has to be gospel related. I am thinking about doing the Peacegiver but I want more options. Help!!!!

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Tucker (heiditucker) | 2 comments My favorite LDS author is Brad Wilcox. I love everything he writes, but especially "The Continuous Conversion." It is so inspiring and uplifting and an easy read. His books and positive messages have been a huge reason I became an author and wrote my own books.

message 19: by Kld2003 (new)

Kld2003 | 6 comments You might want to check out some of Mitch Albom's books. He is not an LDS author but clean and very thought provoking which leads to some great discussions. Our book club has read several of his books and most are relatively short,;"For One More Day" is 197 pgs. It is a story of what would you do if you had one more day with someone who has passed on. We also read his, "The Five People you meet in Heaven", which makes you realize how much influence we have on people that we don't even know about. Had great discussions after both books.

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy Birks (amymore1027) | 8 comments The LDS mothers Almanac by Janene Baadsgasrd and Charlie's Monument by Yorgenson. teen I red Jack Wetland books

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy Birks (amymore1027) | 8 comments read

message 22: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Lortz | 1 comments I'm new to the group so "Hello". Thank you for these great suggestions, ladies!