Journey to Topaz: A Story of the Japanese-American Evacuation Journey to Topaz discussion

do you like this book?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenna (new)

Kenna Do you like this book. It doesn't look like a book I read. I know "dont judge a book by its cover." You should read the Hunger games

Kaitlyn Cidranes i think this book is good if you're into historical fiction. it takes a really long time to get to the point though

message 3: by Kenna (new)

Kenna Ya, I dont like books like that. I'm sorry but no. I am completely fantasy/fiction.

Kaitlyn Cidranes Kenna wrote: "Ya, I dont like books like that. I'm sorry but no. I am completely fantasy/fiction."
me too. i loved twilight.

message 5: by Kenna (new)

Kenna I am not allowed to read twilight. My mom says that it is a bad, evil book and young, innocent girls like me shouldn't read it. She let me see the movie, though. My mom has a few issues. How did you get my quote up there. That is pretty nifty. Yes, nifty. I enjoy weird words. One of my favorites is BONKERS. Are you friends with chloe? Ashley? Brinley? Sadie?

Nada I actually liked this book. Most WWII books are focused on prejudices against Jews in Europe, but this one focuses on the prejudices in America against Japanese-Americans. Very accurate, very interesting.

If you're not in to historical fiction, or too in to Twilight and fantasy, you may not like this book.

message 7: by Kenna (new)

Kenna like i said, I cant read twilight my mom wont let me

Nada To Kenna: I was not recommending Twilight to you at all... however I will recommend the following:

The Uglies trilogy, by Scott Westerfeld

One Whole and Perfect Day, by Judith Clarke (note this is realistic fiction)

The Inkheart Trilogy

Kissing Doorknobs, by Terry Spencer Hesser (another realistic fiction)

Brave Story (Miyuke Miyabe (extremely long, but amazing)

I don't think your mother would have any problem with you reading these books.

message 9: by Kaitlyn (last edited May 09, 2009 03:26PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kaitlyn Cidranes Kenna wrote: "I am not allowed to read twilight. My mom says that it is a bad, evil book and young, innocent girls like me shouldn't read it. She let me see the movie, though. My mom has a few issues. How did yo..."

i dont kno any of them and why would youre mom say that? my parents are totally chill as long as im not watching tv. i dont kno how it got up there. it just sorta showed up when i typed a reply. and arent all parents issued?

message 10: by Kenna (new)

Kenna My mom is overprotective I can't really leave the house. My parents are extremely issued? Are you friends with Chloe? Ask her about it. To Nada:
I have read

Uglies trilogy last year. He has another really good series: The Midnighters Trilogy. You should look into it.

Inkheart Trilogy: can't believe its over. The last book did go out with a bang, though. It took her long enough to write three books.

Already had started reading Brave Story. My friends recommended it to me. I think you should read:

Hunger Games- definetly. It is not like most survival action books. I loved it.

Vamprites. I wasn't really supposed to read this one because its title has vampire in it (anything remotely related to any dark subject is out in my moms view) but it isn't dark or like a vampire book. They arent really vampires, they're VAMPIRATES!

Gone: by Micheal Grant this is thick but it keeps you obssessed with it the whole way through

Nobody's Princess & Nobody's Prize: they were set in acient greek time so they deal with greek mythology but are still really cool

Percy Jackson series, if you haven't already read it it is really good.

Fablehaven: Fantasy all the way through you might already have read it. I started reading it before the craze. I always seem to read books right before they become popular.

Once Upon a Marigold: It has a sequel: Twice upon a Marigold.

The edge on the sword. i read this book along time ago so I don't really remember it except that it is really good.

Cry of the icemark!!!!! Great!!!!

Last Apprentcie: 2nd favorite series

Rangers Apprentcie: Favorite series and that is saying something because i read a lot.

Candy Shop War: same author as fablehaven

Touching Spirit Bear: author Ben Mikealsen

Sisters Grimm series: short, but good

Chronicles of acient Darkness: I don't know why it is called that because it doesn't really go with the theme but it is a great series

Wings: a Fairy tale: Ed Baker same author as the frog princess series

Gregor the Overlander: same author as Hunger Games only she writes in two completely styles in each

If you haven't read it: Eragon trilogy I loved it

A mago shaped space

Charlie Bone series: Jenny Nimmo

Dragon Rider: Cornielia Funke same as inkheart trilogy

The anybodies (by N.E. Bode): then the nobodies: then the somebodies

The tale of desperuex: recently made into a movie

Leven Thumps series. It is great

I hope you can read all these. Send me some other suggestions!

message 11: by Nada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nada I have read most of the books you listed but I'll check out the ones I haven't!

Donna Jo Napoli has written some good historical fiction and fantasy books. Most are based off of fairy tales and fables with a bit of history added to it.
Stones in Water- WWII but from an Italian boy's perspective.
Bound-basically a chinese cinderella story
Zel-an interesting repunzel story
The Smile-the origins of the Mona Lisa
Hush: an Irish Princess tale-tale of a kidnapped irish princess

message 12: by Kenna (new)

Kenna I will try some but i am not really interested in historical fiction. I read most of those books before they became popular. I dont know how I do it.