The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > Pillars of the Earth Discussion

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Jan 21, 2008 06:30PM) (new)

Meghan Okay, just so you know I started a new group. It's called "Books I Want to Talk About". I started a Pillars folder for discussion on that book. But basically this group is to discuss any book you want to talk about (maybe your book club isn't able to get to it yet, maybe you have questions on it, maybe it's a new read and you're dying to talk about it with anyone)...anyway, it's there if you want to join.

I felt that a separate discussion for Pillars should be made so as not to detract from the RG discussions. I also wanted more freedom in being able to do separate threads for chapters and other things than what under the book would allow.

Anyway, hope you Pillar fans come join. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Oh and non-Pillar fans come check us out too!

message 2: by Sera (new)

Sera Thanks, Meghan! Now, I'm definitely going to have get started on this book much sooner, but I am really looking forward to it.

message 3: by Sarah (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:43AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There is also a Water For Elephants discussion being started in the same group.

message 4: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Giusti | 4 comments Water for elephants was so so good.The story it self was amazing. It has been awhile since I read it but am planning a second time. Honstly all that they has to go through I dont think I could. It was very good.

Does anyone know about the book called" History of love" I picked it up at the airport, seems like every one was readin it there but havent read it yet. looks like it will be a great read to.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Shelley, some of us haven't read POTE yet! Please don't post spoiler info without a warning! Thanks.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Oooh and History of Love sounds great! I've seen it at the bookstore but never picked it up. This line just grips me though:

"He fell in love. It was his life."

Let us know how you like it.

message 7: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments The History of Love is one I've been meaning to read as well. That and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, also from 2006.

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera ACK! SPOILERS.

Meghan, for the new group, may we put something in the guidelines about not giving away plot information without an alert?

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Absolutely. I will be monitoring comments in the general discussion. But will definitely give notice to all about them. I will say, if you did read it, it shouldn't effect the story too much. It's just nice to be able to read it on your own kind of thing. It's not a "the butler did it" moment.

message 10: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Giusti | 4 comments I am extremely sorry for my post on Pillars. Please forgive me for that.

message 11: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments There's a new 'spoiler' feature on Goodreads, so that should solve a lot of the confusion!

message 12: by Meghan (last edited Jan 23, 2008 08:25AM) (new)

Meghan No problem Shelley! We won't make you eat a bird fetus while reading the Great Gatsby...but next time...weeeelllll... (hee--a little survivor/book club joke)

message 13: by Arctic (last edited Jan 23, 2008 10:09AM) (new)

Arctic | 571 comments I thought the spoiler feature was just for in book reviews? Is there some kind of code for posting in groups too? That'd be great if so.

spoilers in white

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Ditto Heather. Can that be used here in groups as well?

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) It's okay, Shelley! We won't vote you off the island just yet! But man, Meghan is really playing nice if she's not going to make you eat a chicken fetus while reading the Great Gatsby! That seems to be her favorite punishment...

message 16: by Sera (new)

Sera No worries, Shelley. I almost got kicked off the island my first week in this club, albeit for different reasons.

I am laughing so hard at Meghan's and Sarah's comments right now. I need to simmer down or my new employer may not take kindly to my antics - heehee.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

where do I comment? I just finished the book. could hardly put it down.

message 18: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) What to do...what to do...! I'm in the middle of Lord of the Rings. Not a quick read (unless you're one of my darling children who are able to in hale litratchahh in one sitting. I saw the review of Pillars of the Earth on Oprah.

I don't think me wee brain could juggle both tomes at once, but this thread has got me chompin at the ole bit. Pillars of the Earth sounds marvelous.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Lisa, have you joined the Books I Want to Talk About group? Go here.

message 20: by Meghan (new)

Meghan K - Finish LOTRs! I read that series first when I was a kid and of course again when the movies came out. It's a MUST read! But afterwards, if you get a chance, I do recommend Pillars. In Books I Want to Talk About (man I need an acronym for that), the format is uber flexible, so you can join in at any time. We actually haven't started any formal discussion yet to give a few people time to get started.

Lisa - PLEASE stop by and give us yours thoughts! I have been so over-the-top that so many people love this book. It's my favorite!