Fans of Trixie Belden Series discussion

How were you introduced to Trixie?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie (honeywheeler) | 2 comments Mod
My mom grew up in the 60s, and her grandmother would buy her the Trixie books when she was young. She remembers always looking forward to getting one from her grandma. My great-grandmother just died last April, and I'm so thankful to her for bringing those books into our family.

I have my mom's collection of #s 1-15, which are a mixture of these 2 types of editions:
"The Short & Ugly" description "The Deluxe" description

Plus I've collected the rest on my own, including completing the 2 sets of editions of the 1-15 books. It became a hobby for me, to search through used book stores in our area and on vacations. My 2 best finds were when I was on vacation. I found one excellent hard cover condition book in a Lake Worth, Florida bookstore for about $2. My best find was in Devon, England in a tiny town called "Barnstaple." I found 2 hard cover books in perfect condition for less than a pound each.

I have one book missing from my collection, and I almost don't want to find it because then my search would be over. It's the #10 Deluxe Marshland Mystery. Apparently it's the most rare Deluxe edition book. I've found it on Ebay a few times, but won't let myself buy it... Funny...

Honestly, I could care less about reading the books after #16, but the collection is such a cool, unique thing to have!

What are your experiences as a Trixie fan?

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (ckausch) | 1 comments I'm so excited to find other Trixie fans!

I don't have a memory of when I first started reading them, I feel like they have just always been there! I know I started reading them somewhere around the age of 7. I remember buying a lot of them at the Pic-n-Save in the early 80's, and then getting others from family members when they would find them.

My mom got rid of them all in a yard sale when I was in college (I still haven't quite forgiven her!) and I've been trying to reacquire the series since. I have multiple copies of most of them in a variety of different editions, although I still don't have a copy of every book in the series. I don't think I ever read most of the ones in the upper 30's.

I re-read the first couple last summer, for the first time in a couple decades and enjoyed them just as much. I'd love to re-read the whole series at some point.

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 5 comments Hi there! :)

Great to have a Trixie group!

I started reading the books (in German, lots of them, if not all, are translated) when I was about 9 or 10. We went to the library with my school class every other week and I remember well the Trixie Belden books were part of the shelf where also a lot of Enid Blyton and books of the sort were.
Soon I knew them all by heart (well, close enough, I guess I must have read each book of the first 10 about 7 or 8 times back then). And one after the next my sister and me also got them ourselfes. (And I still have about 10 books in German here.) I read them over and over again between the ages of 9 and 13 probably.

And some month ago I finally bought the first three books in English and started re-reading them.
I love them still! (Even though it's kind of strange to read them in the original version now, because they changed all the names - except for Trixie - for the German translation.)

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (honeywheeler) | 2 comments Mod
That's so cool! I don't think I've ever met someone who's read Trixies in another language. You'll have to share some of the differences.

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 5 comments I will. :) I'll make a new thread for that, when I finished updating some of the goodreads pages about the German editions. :)

message 6: by Dina (new)

Dina | 9 comments I was happy to find that there is a Trixie Belden group here! I've been a fan since I was a kid and still read and collect these books. I have nearly every format that has been printed and several complete sets (Deluxes, oval softcovers and nearly all of the oval cameo's) Trixie Belden is my #1 favorite girl series book! I currently email 2 other friends I have met online who love the series as much as I do. I am going to introduce them to this group too!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (lesmisarahbles) | 1 comments I got started with Trixie while in Boston receiving treatment. I was browsing books at the Harvard Co-Op when my mom pointed out a teal-bound book. I believe she said she read them and liked them. We picked it up, and I instantly fell in love with Trixie. She seemed more human than Nancy ever was to me. (Even though I love Nancy!) I have up to around #15, only to see that they aren't reprinting them anymore. :(

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments I first read Trixie the summer that I was eight. My mom got a box of her books down from the attic for me. I wanted to read The Red Trailer Mystery first because it looked so intriguing, but my mom told me I had to go in order. I read the first 17 or so a million times. I gradually purchased all of the Trixies, buying my last one (The Hudson River Mystery) off of Amazon in 2000.

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam | 2 comments My sister got me hooked on Trixie when I was 11. And I have loved reading her stories ever since. Now you can read a lot of Trixie fanfiction online. It's rather addictive but wonderful.

message 10: by Jaslyn (new)

Jaslyn (jazlowery) | 1 comments My Grandma read them when she was little, then she got some for my Mom, and now I almost have the full set. Just missing six books.

message 11: by Vonney (new)

Vonney Young (ysgillen67) | 1 comments I've discovered an old friend today. I attended a little Catholic grade school in a little town in southeast Kansas from 1955 to 1963, and on our 3-shelf library were one or two Trixie Belden books. I read them two or three times, and I loved her as much as I loved Nancy Drew. I had no idea there was an ongoing series all these years. I feel like I'm at an old school reunion. You've made my day!

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Black | 3 comments I can't imagine being without my collection of Trixie Belden books. My Mom would buy me one each time they came out. She worked at J.J. Newberry's in Owego. It certainly was a huge deal for me to receive these.

They are timeless reading and anyone at any age would enjoy them. I have the Cameo-Deluxe hard bound ones. I still re read them over and over.

message 13: by ~~*Julie (new)

~~*Julie Kawalec-pearson (jewl) | 1 comments My mother had bought me almost the whole set from a garage sale when I was about 10-12. SHe had read them when she was young,since I have always been a book nerd! I loved them! I am missing book 28. I don't know why---it is elusive! I think it is awsome that they are re-releasing them in hardcover.

message 14: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Oh my goodness this just warms my heart to see there are other Trixie Belden fans out there! Most people look at me like I have two heads when I say that I was NOT a Nancy Drew fan but instead loved, loved, loved Trixie Belden! I read all of these books when I was a young girl (more than a few years ago) and would get lost in Trixie's adventures. I am so jealous of those that still have their books! Thanks for having a place I can reminisce about how much this books meant to me growing up.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Black | 3 comments The Trixie Belden books are timeless. They are just as enjoyable now as they were in my youth.lol. My Mom started me on them when I was 10 or so. No matter where I move, those books go with me.

I really couldn't relate to Nancy Drew in any way!!

With the Trixie books there is a huge cross section of parents & children that flow no matter what your station in life.

message 16: by Alena (new)

Alena (alenam) | 1 comments I am so happy to find other fans of Trixie Belden (thanks Maureen). My mom bought 6 of the books at a garage sale when I was 10. She read them when she was a girl in the 60s. I must have read them a dozen times each. I wish I would have kept them, but she did find some hard-cover editions recently which I now treasure.

message 17: by Maureen (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:43PM) (new)

Maureen Alena wrote: "I am so happy to find other fans of Trixie Belden (thanks Maureen). My mom bought 6 of the books at a garage sale when I was 10. She read them when she was a girl in the 60s. I must have read them ..."

Alena,

I am in touch with a dealer who I have just bought some used Trixie books from. They should be coming in the mail one day this week - when I get them and see if the quality was worth the price, I will let you know! Don't you just love Trixie's spunk?.....I posted the first part of this earlier in the day - since then I received the Trixie books I ordered in today's mail and they are AMAZING!! If you would like to send me a message to my inbox, I would be happy to share the contact info for the book dealer I got them from- super affordable and excellent quality!

message 18: by Joanna (last edited Jul 08, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

Joanna | 1 comments I first read Trixie Belden-the first 4-5 of them - borrowed from a friend (she became a librarian) and I think she had gotten them from a relative as they were some really old editions. I became addicted at about age 8 in about 1963 or thereabouts and starting collecting them then as they came out. Unfortunately, my original set was destroyed in a flood in my parents basement one winter when frozen pipes burst in the 1980's. I have re-purchased a few at antique malls, etc. but not all of them.
I read a few of the post #16 back when they came out but it wasn't the same. Maybe I was too old by then or maybe they were not as good.
I was a Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys fan as well but Trixie was more like a "real girl".

message 19: by Judith (last edited Jul 25, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Judith Leger (judithleger) | 3 comments OMG! I didn't know there was a Trixie group here! I used to devour these books. Yes, I cut my teeth on them along with Nancy. Loved Trixie because she was so much more down to earth. I'm so excited to find other people who love these books too.

Oh, I forgot to add. I started reading them when I was in the 5th grade. We would walk to the library twice a week and I would check these books out. I can still remember the smell them. First sign, I suppose to tell me how much I would love to read.

message 20: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Judith wrote: "OMG! I didn't know there was a Trixie group here! I used to devour these books. Yes, I cut my teeth on them along with Nancy. Loved Trixie because she was so much more down to earth. I'm so exci..."

Trixie is the greatest right? I just loved her so much when I was growing up! I was so excited too when I found this little group ☺

message 21: by Marg (new)

Marg (margreads) | 1 comments OH, great idea to start a group for Trixie fans!

I can't tell you how many times I read the TB books as a kid - Jim was my first literary crush!

I am not sure who it was that started me on the books. I do know that I collected them so that I could have a complete collection, but I am not sure if I ever actually achieved that!

message 22: by Zeek (new)

Zeek | 1 comments Marg wrote: "I can't tell you how many times I read the TB books as a kid - Jim was my first literary crush! "

Mine too! ;) Been collecting first editions slowly for years!

message 23: by Judith (new)

Judith Leger (judithleger) | 3 comments Maureen wrote: "Judith wrote: "OMG! I didn't know there was a Trixie group here! I used to devour these books. Yes, I cut my teeth on them along with Nancy. Loved Trixie because she was so much more down to eart..."

Oh, I know. I tell everyone that these were my first Keeper reads and I was only...what 9 or 10? I rememeber them so well.

message 24: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Black | 3 comments Did anyone collect the Trixie and Honey cut out dolls? Heh heh. I remember playing with them until they fell apart.

message 25: by Doris (new)

Doris (dotfish65) | 1 comments My Mom bought them for me as a kid in the 70's. I had them all but was made to let cousins borrow them and they got lost or destroyed. I have the new re-issues of 1-15. I really wish they would finish and re-do the rest. I love these books. I had hoped my own daughter would like them too but not so. She likes to tease when I re-read.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Hubbard (lynnhubbard) | 1 comments I was very sick growing up so I spent a lot of time in bed reading Trixie. She was my best friend. I would read my favorites over and over again. I still read them from time to time I have the whole set and am on a quest to collect all the originals.
I also read Trixie fanfic sometimes and wrote one myself.

message 27: by Erica (new)

Erica Baddeley | 2 comments I was introduced to Trixe by a family friend when I was about 9. This friend had children that were older than me, her youngest was about 3 years older and there were a couple that were even older.
I read the first 4 that summer (January 1984) and then had to wait for a while until I could find the rest. I have read all of the books (1 - 39) several times each, mostly I have read them from book 1 to 39, but occasionaly I will just read a favourite book.

I have books 1 - 39, some of them in different editions, but mostly in paperback with the cream cover with the oval pic on front or the yellow cover from the late 1980's early 1990's.

I am just about to introduce my daughter to them, she is 9 and I hope she will love them as much as I do :-)

I loved Jim, I think he was my first crush too!
It's funny that I loved these books so much, my tastes have not changed much from then to know, I like Kathy Reichs books which are about forensic investigation.
My other favourite is Diana Gabaldon, her main male character is a red headed Scot named Jamie and her female charater Claire reminds me of an adult version of Trixie, although that is where the similarities end.

I have read some of the fanfic and thoroughly enjoyed them.

message 28: by Jeanie (last edited Mar 04, 2013 04:48PM) (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments I hated to read when I was 8 but loved to be read to. My sister started sharing Red Trailer Mystery, then got busy so she was reading when I wasn't around. I had to finish for myself and haven't stop reading since. It took me three more years to get Secret of the Mansion but I had read everything else published up to about 1965. It was re=release and Mystery of the Blinking Eye was published for the first time. I am a retired school librarian and still reread them every once in a while. I am thrilled that people are still reading them for the first time.

message 29: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofifed) I learned about Trixie Belden from my sister, who has almost the whole collection. I like all the characters, but my favourites are Trixie, Mart and Brian.

message 30: by Elisabetha (new)

Elisabetha | 6 comments I found out about Trixie Belden while searching for a good book at my library and haven't put them down since! I only wish there were more available. I have searched my local library, with the result of four and I am slowly picking them up at second-hand stores. I never bore of reading them!
Now, the authors are my inspiration and my favourite authors as well.

message 31: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments Elisabetha wrote: "I found out about Trixie Belden while searching for a good book at my library and haven't put them down since! I only wish there were more available. I have searched my local library, with the resu..."

What books have you read so far?

message 32: by Dina (new)

Dina | 9 comments My online friend from Texas surprised me with a Dutch copy of Gatehouse Mystery a few weeks ago. It's the first foreign Trixie in my collection. :)

message 33: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments How neat. I like the way you say the FIRST...

message 34: by Dina (new)

Dina | 9 comments :D

message 35: by Elisabetha (new)

Elisabetha | 6 comments Jeanie wrote: "Elisabetha wrote: "I found out about Trixie Belden while searching for a good book at my library and haven't put them down since! I only wish there were more available. I have searched my local lib..."

I have read quite a few now, including The Black Jacket Mystery and The Mystery of The Emeralds, which are two of the ones I own.

message 36: by Dina (new)

Dina | 9 comments Wow! That was a find! I still look for Trixie books at yard sales and second hand stores. Sometimes I get lucky!

message 37: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments I still have most of my old ones and a few replacements. Good memories that I still revisit every once in a while.

message 38: by Jenn (last edited May 30, 2013 01:54PM) (new)

Jenn | 1 comments I am not sure how I started reading them. I assume my mother must have bought a few for me. I loved them, more than Nancy Drew. I even had Trixie Belden paper dolls (not sure how, since I was an 80's kid). I got rid of them when I went to college, since I was "an adult" and didn't need kids books. A decade later (when I actually became an adult), I realized how much they had meant to me and went about collecting them. I managed to get every single one (including some at the local used bookstore, which were mine to begin with).

message 39: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments Jenn wrote: "I am not sure how I started reading them. I assume my mother must have bought a few for me. I loved them, more than Nancy Drew. I even had Trixie Belden paper dolls (not sure how, since I was an..."

Love that!!!

message 40: by Cori (last edited Jul 20, 2013 02:11PM) (new)

Cori Hulet | 1 comments It was around 1978 or 79 and my step dad was stationed, with the army, at Ft. Lewis, WA. I made a friend at school who was a big Trixie fan. I don't remember the exact circumstance of me getting my first book. I rather think my mom just surprised me with it. I think my friend being a fan was incidental to the whole thing. Anyway, my first title was #10, Marshland Mystery. I was hooked. My favorite memory was one Easter when I received 9 Trixie books for my gift. I am 45 years old now and think that still stands as the single best/most memorable gift I have ever been given. Over the course of my youth, I read most all of them many times over, especially the first 23. I was a little older when I got a bunch after #23, and I was married and expecting my first child before I even knew the last 4 or 5 existed.

I learned so much from those books and my family teased me a lot for how often I, when arguing a point, would utter the phrase, "I learned it in a Trixie Belden book!"

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon O'dell | 1 comments Does anyone know how much a complete set is worth?

message 42: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments It would depend on the editions but I haven't seen any real collector looking for them, just people who would like to read them again.

message 43: by Dina (new)

Dina | 9 comments The last three or four books go high on eBay. The rest of them are fairly cheap.

message 44: by Macjest (new)

Macjest | 1 comments I also don't remember when I first ran across Trixie. It may have been from the local library. I do know that my BF and I traded Nancy Drew and Trixie books back and forth. I only owned a few and I know I never got past 16. In fact I didn't know there were more until I rediscovered Trixie about 10 years ago.

I have the whole collection now but it's a mish mash of editions. I was fortunate to get 39 for a reasonable price. Sometime I'll have to try and figure out much I paid for the whole set.

message 45: by Bonnie (last edited Apr 01, 2014 06:11AM) (new)

Bonnie (bonnieh) | 2 comments At one point I THOUGHT I was about Trixie's age (13) when I started reading them, but a few years ago I found a Christmas photo of me at 8 1/2 with two Nancy Drews and two Trixie Beldens. My mom was the ND fan, but my guess is she saw the first few TB's (one of which had horses on the cover and I was always horse crazy) and bought them for me. I LOVED them as a kid and rediscovered them as an adult about 10 years ago. I have since collected the whole series again and have met some of my dearest friends on a Trixie Belden fansite. My cousin's daughter got #1 for Christmas from me, so I'm trying to start a new fan on the series. :)

message 46: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments I am 18 years old and was introduced to the Trixie Belden Series when I was about 12 years old. My mom and her sisters use to read the series when they were younger, so she bought me the first two books for Valentine's Day. After reading the first two books I just had to have all of them! It took along time but I bought all 39 books plus two Trixie Belden Activity books! I read many books but this is my absolute favorite series!

message 47: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie Jackson | 13 comments Katherine wrote: "I am 18 years old and was introduced to the Trixie Belden Series when I was about 12 years old. My mom and her sisters use to read the series when they were younger, so she bought me the first two ..."

I am so glad to see the series continuing with another generation. I reread them and still enjoy them now 50 years after Trixie showed me the joy of reading for fun.